Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rare US Aircraft from days gone by

Gotta love the Mustang with the ramjets

Web hosting and free web hosting from Bravenet.com. Build your website with our easy webpage builder, web tools, web services, and free website content.

Re: Rare US Aircraft from days gone by

Originally posted by Ken from PG
    Gotta love the Mustang with the ramjets

http://rareaircraf1.greyfalcon.us/UNITED%20STATES.htm
    Holy cripes.. nice find!

Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Dito

Comment

Pretty cool. What class would that race in? Did anyone else notice the "XB-38"? NOT. It's a 17 converted to turboprops for use as an air tanker.
        "And if they stare, just let them burn their eyes on your moving."

Comment

Did anyone else notice the "XB-38"? NOT. It's a 17 converted to turboprops for use as an air tanker. :lol3

Yea, they called it the XB-38

Comment

No, the XB-38 had Allisons.

Here's the one in the picture labeled as the XB-38.

The warbird registry follows the history of all Boeing B-17 Flying Fortresss that survived military service.

It was also noted that this aircraft was later lost due to engine failure after the Rolls Royce Darts injested smoke from the fire it was fighting. How are the modern operators of C-130's and P-3's avoiding this?
            Last edited by hm66sk; 09-02-2008, 10:42 PM.
            "And if they stare, just let them burn their eyes on your moving."

Comment

I think my favorite has to be the Grumman F4F-3s Wildcatfish.... Why in the world would anyone want to make a Wildcat into a floatplane.

My great uncle used to fly Ryan Fireballs, I think there are only 2 left, one at Chino, and the other was at San Diego, but may have burned when they had a fire years ago.

Nice find, there is some interesting stuff on there.

Will

Comment

Originally posted by hm66sk
                No, the XB-38 had Allisons.

Here's the one in the picture labeled as the XB-38.

The warbird registry follows the history of all Boeing B-17 Flying Fortresss that survived military service.

It was also noted that this aircraft was later lost due to engine failure after the Rolls Royce Darts injested smoke from the fire it was fighting. How are the modern operators of C-130's and P-3's avoiding this?

Comment

It is funny how the net works. I got that link a few weeks ago. In addition to the US, it has photos for many WWII countries. Lots of good photos. Check em out:
                  Web hosting and free web hosting from Bravenet.com. Build your website with our easy webpage builder, web tools, web services, and free website content.

On the US side, I'd like to point out the Beech XA-38 Grizzly. Two were built and they were powered by a pair of 3350s. That is a 75 mm cannon in the nose, along with two .50s and four more in 2 turrets. It was clocked at over 376mph @ 3100 feet, out pacing the P-51B chase plane.

But being the end of the war and the 3350s needed for the B-29 (and B-32) the Grizzly was not to be.

(Pay no attention to this part, I just need to say it) If you stumble into the "Italy" section, the Bugatti 100 was not Italian, it was French. Ettore Bugatti was born in Italy but he emigrated to France where he opened up shop in 1909. He did not like Germans and wanted to better their air speed record. He was approached by the French government to design a fighter based off the 100. I think it was referred to as the 110P.
                  Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
                  Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

I like this one!
                    Attached Files
                    Cheers

Comment

Working...
                    X