I want to hear it all

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to hear it all

Just a simple question , What is a good not to expensive portable radio to listen in on the pilots ? And what frequency do they use ? I'm tired of the same old blasting P.A. system (top gun theme music, blah, blah) I want to listen to the important stuff. Its the most wonderfull time of the year Christmas in September

Re: I want to hear it all

Originally posted by Mr.Ber
    Just a simple question , What is a good not to expensive portable radio to listen in on the pilots ? And what frequency do they use ? I'm tired of the same old blasting P.A. system (top gun theme music, blah, blah) I want to listen to the important stuff. Its the most wonderfull time of the year Christmas in September
    Roger that on the PA's, had to stop taking video because of the non-stop announcing and U2 music blaring, oh well as long as it's not "the Boss"

Here's a link to a radio i got for my B-day this year;

The freq's you'll have to get on site

Good luck
    "dont believe ANYTHING you hear and about HALF of what you see"...................J. Mott 1994

Comment

Every year, I have to be the bad guy with freq's. Long ago, we agreed to never, ever publish the RENO freq's due to the potential for someone with a handheld getting them on their radio and then putting the darn thing in their purse or something and we get the dreded "stuck mic" syndrome.

Now, I know, most of you guys and gals are talking RECEIVERS only here and we have no problem at all with use of the PM system to trade whatever information you like... We simply are going to ALWAYS abide by longstanding agreement with both pilots and others to just not do it...

Hope everyone understands!!

Thanks In Advance!

Wayne
      Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

..yep and...

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar
        Every year, I have to be the bad guy with freq's. Long ago, we agreed to never, ever publish the RENO freq's due to the potential for someone with a handheld getting them on their radio and then putting the darn thing in their purse or something and we get the dreded "stuck mic" syndrome.

Now, I know, most of you guys and gals are talking RECEIVERS only here and we have no problem at all with use of the PM system to trade whatever information you like... We simply are going to ALWAYS abide by longstanding agreement with both pilots and others to just not do it...

Hope everyone understands!!

Thanks In Advance!

Wayne
        even though we try to keep this information close we have 1 or 2 stuck mic situations every day. My advice is to get an inexpensive radio shack air band receiver ... they work great and don't cause un-necessary problems. I have a friend that bought a very small air band reciever that worked great, he got it at the pilot shop at Reid Hillview.

Comment

You have a PM.
          Tony

Comment

This will be year 11 of my annual pilgrimage, and after year 3 bought a uniden scanner. Changed the whole experience. Anyone who brings a transmitter to the show should be keel hauled by an aircraft carrier. For the few hundred bucks for a scanner, it well worth the money and no issue with stuck mikes.

I've managed to get most of the tower and ground freq's for race control etc, but so far haven't had much with freq's for individual teams. The one or 2 i have stumbled on do make it worth it though. Some damn funny things are said over them. Damn interesting things too. Listening to John Penny talking to race control at the end of the gold race made the day. Calm, cool, collected. Thing of beauty to listen too.

If anyone has any freq's for teams, I'd be happy to learn them. Though i usually try and get their durring quali so i can try and pick them up. Send me a PM and we can compare notes.

Comment

Why don't they just ban transceivers and make it receivers only. If it is capable of transmitting you should have some sort of a permit to carry on the grounds. It would only help the situation. Communication is important during the races. Really important!
              My heart starts beating again in September.

Comment

Being able to hear communications adds a whole other dimension to what's going on. Maybe in the future RARA will be able to provide a receiver to people so they can listen in. Something that I think NASCAR is now doing. That could help alleviate the 'open mic' problems encountered.

LP

Comment

Working...
                X