RENO '08 Weather????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RENO '08 Weather????

As I always do about this time of year, I've been watching the 10 day RENO weather forecast...

WOW....

So far, lookin' pretty darn good!!

Weather.Com 10 Day RENO Forecast

Reno Doods.. Doodettes... how's the haze factor so far this year??

Almost wish it'd rain now to keep the threat of fires down!

Wow... This time next week, I'll either be sitting in a hangar at Stead, in BeerNazi's BMW, ALMOST there, or in our room at the GSR....

OMG!!!

It's SOOOOOOO CLOSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Re: RENO '08 Weather????

Lemeseee...
    based on past experience I will bring:
    * Tank top
    * Down parka
    * Sunscreen
    * Themal Gloves
    * Bathing suit
    * Nomex thong with zip-in wool liner (Doh!)
    Tom Johnson,
    Aviation Insurance Broker / Yak 50 Owner
    www.airpowerinsurance.com

Comment

Originally posted by tjyak50
      Lemeseee...
      LOL!!!

Ain't that the truth! I remember a year... hadda been late '80's, it was SOOOOOO cold, NOBODY had any product left, folks were buying anything they could that they could wear! Especially SweatShirts and jackets, ALL gone!

We finally had to hunker down in front of the North Hangars (where they no longer let "civilians" go) to block the wind. I remember because of the strong west wind, the home stretch runs seemed REALLY fast that year!!

I just bought some new sun-screen, we're bringing shorts, long pants, light jackets, heavy coats, swimwear!

Extra sunglasses... jeans.. more shorts.. hiking boots, tennies..

Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Wayne, we all know that the week before the air races is great. It is race week we all worry about. I've always said that if they just move race week up one week we would have had great weather for the last 20 years. But.....have your heard of Murphy's law. That's why the race are after the good week. Hope to see you and introduce myself at the b-que and drop a few $$$ in the hat.
        Jay Smith

Comment

PS. Dan Martin wins going away.
          Jay Smith

Comment

Originally posted by J.SMITH
            Wayne, we all know that the week before the air races is great. It is race week we all worry about. I've always said that if they just move race week up one week we would have had great weather for the last 20 years.
            Didn't they actually move it this year?? (calendarically challenged here)

BUT.....

Firm believer of the power of positive thinking here! How many of us does it take, all of us thinking... high 80's, LOW humidity, crystal clear Nevada skies, ALL week long, to make it happen?????

Keep the faith baby!!!!

It all starts (forget the official start date) in ONE WEEK!

Our baloon is set to begin rising about sunrise on the 5th.... 8-9 hrs later (OSP CHP willing) we'll stop in at Stead on the way to the hotel..

How bout yours???

Wayne Sagar
            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Yes, the transitioning weather here can really be something.

93 for Saturday
              77 for Sunday
              73 for Monday
              82 for Tuesday
              and then we might work our way back up close to 90...

And don't forget...last year, Reno recorded one of it's earliest snowfalls.

I think it was a weekend or two after the races.

My balloon...well...it goes up the moment I clock out on Friday the 5th, cause then I'm done with work till at least Tuesday the 16th.

LP

Comment

Hey Lonnie... just keep those "In-Stead-News" pix coming!!

Wayne Sagar
                "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

The Reno Air Races are held (finals) on the second weekend after Labor Day weekend. Since Labor Day falls on September 1st, the air races have the best chance (seasonally) of the warmest weather. Next year would be just the opposite with the latest possible race dates. Then again, it's Reno, so this means nothing!

Comment

It stands to reason that the weather will be absolutely perfect. I usually take my old BMW motorcycle and load it down with camping gear and one of my daughters. Well, this year it looks like I'll be diriving the car up thanks to a bad timing chain in the bike and BMW's inability to get me the parts to repair it in a timely (no pun intended) fashion.

Jeebus, I'm gettin' excited, bike or no bike!!!

Comment

The weather better be good I hate flying IFR over the Sierra's.
                      CFI/CFII/MEI
                      www.FLYMARKPOLLARD.com
                      www.InvertedCast.com - InvertedCast, The All Aviation Podcast!

Comment

Originally posted by Inverted
                        The weather better be good I hate flying IFR over the Sierra's.

.....trade the thong for red wool knickers.....
                        Mayday51
                        Jim Gallagher

Comment

LOL I like the "less is more" look
                          CFI/CFII/MEI
                          www.FLYMARKPOLLARD.com
                          www.InvertedCast.com - InvertedCast, The All Aviation Podcast!

Comment

A little update...

While the forecast looks great...we now have this 'Fire crews are fighting a wildfire that broke out today afternoon in Alpine County south of Lake Tahoe.' The fire is now over 125 acres.

Personally, we've been quite fortunate so far this year in Northern Nevada when it comes to fire season. This time last year we had several fires burning in the area...though mostly from thunderstorm activity. And speaking of thunderstorms, there has been a distinct lack of them this year. Last year when I was in Stead picking up or delivering freight, I would sit in my truck and watch the lighting strikes start up fires. Fortunately we haven't had that problem this year...which is both good and bad...we could a little water, but not at the expense of possible fires.

LP

Comment

Working...
                            X