'08 Reno Daily Lineup.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '08 Reno Daily Lineup.

We were looking at the schedule line up for Reno this year…. Is it just us or is the lineup besides the races a little on the slim side? We have varying aspects of our military, Thunderbirds all or parts, and a few fly bys. Other we see all we see is one pair Martin / Klatt together and separate. Yeah I’m sure Smoke and Thunder is in there somewhere……. Does this mean we’re to have again a lot of literal “dead air”? Time to dedicate to shopping or napping?

Love our racing, just hate the last few years of disorder and downtime.
    What part of 'Air Race FAN-atic' do you not understand?
    Like the chips - You can't attend just one!

Re: \'08 Reno Daily Lineup.

I try very hard not to get into the \"Well Back in MY day...\" nostalgia.

But.

Back in my day I can remember when we would only have ONE unlimited race per day, andthe races were only Friday, Saturday, Sunday, not starting at noon on Wednesday like they do now. You qualified into your \'race\'. Bronze raced Friday, Silver raced Saturday, and Gold raced Sunday. Before that, there was only the Consolation and Championship races, with one set of heat races. Kind of slim when you look at it in hindsight.

As fans we paid our money and got one Unlimited race per day. Some years they would have some sort of \'trophy race\' in addition to the \'main race\' of the day, which didn\'t count for anything other than going out and having fun. I don\'t think it bumped people up into the next bracket or anything.

I can remember one year when only TWO classes raced at Reno...the F-1\'s and the Unlimiteds.

Everything has its problems, but I\'d say that since we hve five classes and each class has at least two or three races per day, we\'re all sitting pretty good. I\'m willing to sit through the dry times with a lack of airshow acts.

Just my thoughts.

Jim

Comment

Re: \'08 Reno Daily Lineup.

Originally posted by Big_Jim
      I try very hard not to get into the \"Well Back in MY day...\" nostalgia.

But.

Back in my day I can remember when we would only have ONE unlimited race per day, andthe races were only Friday, Saturday, Sunday, not starting at noon on Wednesday like they do now. You qualified into your \'race\'. Bronze raced Friday, Silver raced Saturday, and Gold raced Sunday. Before that, there was only the Consolation and Championship races, with one set of heat races. Kind of slim when you look at it in hindsight.

As fans we paid our money and got one Unlimited race per day. Some years they would have some sort of \'trophy race\' in addition to the \'main race\' of the day, which didn\'t count for anything other than going out and having fun. I don\'t think it bumped people up into the next bracket or anything.

I can remember one year when only TWO classes raced at Reno...the F-1\'s and the Unlimiteds.

Everything has its problems, but I\'d say that since we hve five classes and each class has at least two or three races per day, we\'re all sitting pretty good. I\'m willing to sit through the dry times with a lack of airshow acts.

Just my thoughts.

Jim
      +1 and after Sacramento this year, Reno seems like non-stop action

Comment

Re: '08 Reno Daily Lineup.

I miss the car drop

I'm guessing most of our Chinooks are in battle support

Comment

i would rather it be a little thin than have them crowd the racing schedule with wing walker stuff and the thunderbirds can... jets just sound like a leaky hose!
          Todd Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Airpirate
            I miss the car drop
            And the bus drop.

And the B-1B flybys, and the C-5B flybys, and SR-71A flybys, and U-2 flybys, and Acme Duck, and Julie Clark, and Bob Hoover in the Sabreliner, and... oh hell, forget it. At least we got to see that German F-4 do its thing a couple years ago. That was wonderfully nostalgic.

EDIT: OK, i'm a little annoyed after visiting this link: http://www.airrace.org/airshowPerformers.php
            It makes it seem like nobody is running the airshow.
            Last edited by MRussell; 08-28-2008, 01:05 PM.
            _________
            -Matt
            Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

Originally posted by MRussell
              And the bus drop.

And the B-1B flybys, and the C-5B flybys, and SR-71A flybys, and U-2 flybys, and Acme Duck, and Julie Clark, and Bob Hoover in the Sabreliner, and... oh hell, forget it. At least we got to see that German F-4 do its thing a couple years ago. That was wonderfully nostalgic.

All that too!!!!!

Comment

Couple years ago my then 8 year old nephew suggested that they do the car drop followed by the A-10 demo with live ammo using the car as the target...

Comment

The National Guard has always got a couple of CH-47's parked at Stead. They use them in the summer for fire suppression and in the winter for al sorts of fun stuff, rescue, feed herds of cows....etc.

But since I can't park out in the "back 40" anymore, I can't tell if the "Guard" still keeps them there... I bet they do... but then our governemt has pretty much used up all their military assets...

I sure hope the next president can ramp up the military again....
                  Last edited by BUD_XXX; 08-28-2008, 01:43 PM.

Comment

What's up with the Thunderbirds C-130's coming and going all the time???
                    May be some one can get the C-17 to round the pylons!!!
                    I see on Sunday a B-17, B-25, P-51 flyby, any one know who's?
                    What would be really cool would be to have one of the NASA WB-57's flyby....
                    http://www.pbase.com/marauder61
                    http://www.cafepress.com/aaphotography

Comment

I like that it ends an hour early on sunday. I have to be at work monday morning.

Comment

The Chinooks are alive and well, just last week we had four of em fly over in formation and a day does not go by without one flying over or around the valley. I think the local group is home right now.
                        I used to like all the "different" stuff. The flarecopter, the stealth fighter and SR flyby's, or heck whatever was in the area flying by. The year that Sentimental journey beat up the field and then did a Franklin wheelstand in front of the crowd (79). Jimmy Franklin and "OH YEAH!" Art Scholl's drunken farmer. Tho I was bored with Hoover's routine I miss him now that he's done. It's all good!
                        Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                        airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                        thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Been a long time since we got to see the GREAT Bob Hoover fly. Watching Bob behind the stick makes the rest of us look like student pilots.

I have a Ross Buckland painting over my desk of Bob in Ol Yeller called "Gentleman you have a race". Whether the Shrike or Ol Yeller, Bob's flying was truely something to behold.

Oh yeah, he is one of the nicest guys around and a true gentleman.

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Archer
                            What's up with the Thunderbirds C-130's coming and going all the time???
                            May be some one can get the C-17 to round the pylons!!!
                            I see on Sunday a B-17, B-25, P-51 flyby, any one know who's?
                            What would be really cool would be to have one of the NASA WB-57's flyby....

is that a WB-57 Canberra?

Comment

Gordon Baxter once said that when Hoover went up for his Mustang routine everyone stopped and watched, because they realized that if they had that airplane, and did what he did, they'd die. Probably a little overdone and romantic (as is most Bax, but I love his stuff) but I've seen a lot of great pilots over the years and if nothing else he was smoooooth!
                              Not that I don't like the newer group out there, they are awesome, but there is a big difference between the super acros violent moves and the slower grace of a Hoover, Lefty, Scholl or the Red Knight. And my personal favorite 9other than Lefty) was always the inverted spin that Jimmy Franklin did in the Waco. All smoke and noise and seemingly too low.
                              OK, I'm getting nostalgic and way off topic!
                              Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                              airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                              thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Working...
                              X