Future Ulimited Racer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Future Ulimited Racer?

Think this will make a good unlimted someday? Keep'n my fingers crossed - It would be great to see something like this round'n the pylons!

Re: Future Ulimited Racer?

would be nice to see one up and running ,even with the v-8s.......but how about a pair of falconer v-12s like blue thunder has...sweeeeet!

Comment

He has the V-8's built already, I've seen them. Says the first one will fly in 6 months +/-. Let's hope so. (I guess it's too light for unlimited class!)

Comment

Remind me of the minimum weight for Unlimited?
        _________
        -Matt
        Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

"The Unlimited Class is open to any piston-driven aircraft with an empty weight greater than 4500 pounds [the weight restriction was added in 2005]." - airrace.org

Anyone know the reason for the weight restriction in 2005?

Comment

Originally posted by Critter
            "The Unlimited Class is open to any piston-driven aircraft with an empty weight greater than 4500 pounds [the weight restriction was added in 2005]." - airrace.org

Anyone know the reason for the weight restriction in 2005?
            The top sport planes were surpassing the bronze speeds. Blue Thunder wanted to run in the unlimited class. RARA decided it too risky to allow relatively light a/c to race w/ the big iron. Wake turbulance being the main issue.

Right?

Comment

That P38 replica's website states a max ramp weight of 6000 lbs so perhaps it could actually run in Unlimited? However it has a +6G limit and isn't projected to run much beyond 300kts so I guess it would require modifications for lots more power and structure. But I guess that's what Unlimited class is all about...
              _________
              -Matt
              Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

+6g tolerance is plenty, isn't it? Your average Cessna is built for +/- 3g's if I remember correctly.

I might be stealing some thunder by posting here, but I think Larry - the guy building the plane - has some plans to make it go fast and make a run at Reno... However, "the scrap-heap of history" phrase echo's here.

Comment

Working...
                X