N151G Race 75

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• N151G Race 75

For anyone interested in information or pictures of "Rapid Travel" George Giboney's Thunder Mustang Race 75, I'm the new guy (brother), and I may be able to answer your questions.

Re: N151G Race 75

Was this TM built/modified specificlly for racing, or is it stock compared to Blue Thunder?
    Does this craft have long term plans for Reno or just this year?
    Good luck to your team this year. Alot of folks will be happy to see you there.

Comment

When George started this project, I believe he had it in the back of his mind to race it at Reno. The plane has been modified specifically for racing, twin superchargers, intake modifications, cooling system modifications, it has been fully dyno'd and tested...tuned for maximum horsepower and torque...it is fast!! Don't know yet if he is thinking about next year...I believe that his thoughts are on the here and now and doing the best he can this year!

Comment

Here's a shot of #175 -- a lovely bird! Looking forward to seeing it in September...

Last edited by wingman; 08-24-2008, 08:46 PM.

Comment

A couple more...

Note the odd wxhaust stack -- something about test instrumentation.

Neal

Comment

Here are a couple of shots taken by Crew Chief Harry Nelson from his Harmon Rocket on July 28, 2008. Tom
            Attached Files

Comment

If you will note, in the photos from Harry Nelson, the extended exhaust manifold had been removed and it was replaced with the stock manifold(s). Also note that the Race number is 75 not 175. At PRS there was a mixup on the registration and two participants had been issued number 75, so George had to improvise with 175. The other participant with 75 DNQ'd and Rapid Travel was officially issued Race 75. Tom

Comment

I like your paint scheme. Good luck this year and look foward to seeing the TM on the course.

Comment

Note also the new belly scoop from the July 28 photos. This is a first on any Thunder Mustang. This was a pleasant surprise when I saw George with it at the Northwest Antique Fly-In at McMinnville, OR on August 16, next to two other Thunder Mustangs!

Comment

what about the stock propeller? wasnt there some issues raised about them flexing at higher hp and thats why blue ran the three blade?
                    Todd Smith

Comment

Nice shots Neal, very photogenic plane, and a paint job the AF systems like.

Comment

So far the prop has been able to handle the added torque and HP safely and a new one is not in the program for this year's race. I can tell you that the TM is very fast, even with this prop. We will see just how fast following qualification runs in a couple of weeks!

Comment

Hello Thomas,

Welcome to AAFO.com. I have been associated with John Parker and Blue Thunder for many years now and as a result, I have hung out with George one week out of the year for the past few years. I hope you will be at Reno and I'm looking forward to meeting you. George is a great guy.

Originally posted by thunderstangfan
                          what about the stock propeller? wasnt there some issues raised about them flexing at higher hp and thats why blue ran the three blade?
                          The 4-blade prop's origins are from the Thunder Mustang being a 3/4 scale of the P-51D. Parker and Hartzell thought 3 wider blades would provide more efficiency and equal bite. When the 4-blade was damaged in a landing accident in 2001, that made the switch to the 3-blade easy. I do not recall Parker or anyone else, having issues with flexing with the MT composite 4 blade. All other TM have run the 4 blade.
                          Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
                          Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

Working...
                          X