Plane Hits South S.F. Bay Truck Weigh Station

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plane Hits South S.F. Bay Truck Weigh Station

This just happened less than an hour ago near the South County Airport in San Martin, approx. 20-25 miles south of my house,

Steve

Plane Crashes Into South Bay Truck Weigh Station

POSTED: 6:29 pm PDT August 20, 2008
    UPDATED: 6:51 pm PDT August 20, 2008

A small plane crashed into a truck weigh station of Highway 101 in San Martin on Wednesday evening.

The plane crashed shortly after 6 p.m., according to eyewitness Danielle Grusonik, who was driving off southbound Highway 101 in San Martin.

"(There were) lots of flames," she said. "It is really chaotic."

Ian Gregor, of the FAA, said one person was killed in the crash that happened at the Gilroy truck stop on the Gilroy-San Martin border about five miles north of Highway 152.

Grusonik said there was no emergency personnel at the scene when she drove by the crash but she could see that the plane was in flames and it had struck the building.

"I didn't see the actual impact," she said. "I noticed it because it was kind of circling in a bizarre fashion"

The plane was a single engine Socata Rallye.

Last edited by AirDOGGe; 08-20-2008, 06:59 PM.

Re: Plane Hits South S.F. Bay Truck Weigh Station

I just drove by the crash. All that was left of the plane was the tail section. Every thing else was just melted down!
    Troy

Comment

I hope all on the ground are ok. I've been through those scales many times in the past.

LP

Comment

A friend's airplane was involved in an accident up here a few weeks ago, it's always sad and never a good thing when airplanes hit buildings..

Hope everyone is OK also..

Sad
        Wayne Sagar
        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

According to the latest reports, nobody was at the station during the incident, and judging from the few photos I've seen, it appears that the aircraft did not penetrate the building.

My sad condolences go out to the pilot's family and friends.

P.S...Wayne, I hope your friend was OK...
          Last edited by AirDOGGe; 08-20-2008, 10:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X