Rare Bear DVD...does anybody have it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rare Bear DVD...does anybody have it?

Just surfing along and found this NEW DVD. Has anybody seen it? Do you think it'll be available at Reno?

Don Hatten
    Go Bear!

Re: Rare Bear DVD...does anybody have it?

Dunno, but I just e-mailed the production company and asked if they were going to be a presence at Reno, and how to purchase it. Dell Rourk. who, along with her husband Hersch, had been a long time friends and part of the crew told me about it last year and is one of the people interviewed on the tape.
    Betty

Comment

This was the reply to my enquiry:

Hi Betty,

I think you will love the video Champions of the Air: Rare Bear. It covers the history of the plane as told by past and present crew members and follows the struggles of the crew to have the plane ready for the 2007 Reno National Championship Air Races. This is not a video of planes going around in circles for an hour. It is a riveting story. The documentary was shot and edited in HD and 5,1 Surround Sound making for the highest quality DVD. All that have seen the documentary have raved over it. The DVD will be on sale at the Air Races this year. The booth will be at the Rare Bear / Glacier Girl pit. The price for the DVD is $30.00

Comment

Thanks Betty for looking into that.. I'll bring another $30 for that.

Eric
        Cheers

Comment

Yep, another $30 is reserved for yet another Rare Bear souvenier. Thanks, Betty for digging up the info!

Don

Comment

Wicked good times.....

Comment

I've got the DVD in question, and it well worth the bucks. Bob did a great job restoring the old photos and putting together a unique look at the the history of the aircraft, and of the teams tremendous effort just to make the races last year.

Many thumbs up

LP

Comment

How would a person who's not able to actually go to the races obtain this DVD?

Comment

Originally posted by MMPerk
                  I've got the DVD in question, and it well worth the bucks. Bob did a great job restoring the old photos and putting together a unique look at the the history of the aircraft, and of the teams tremendous effort just to make the races last year.

Many thumbs up

LP
                  Do they have footage of the time-to-climb record? How about when Bear set the world speed record?

Comment

On the getting one if you can't be here, I'm sure one of us can hook you up.

No footage that I remember on the time to climb record or the speed record. But I have seen a DVD about the speed record though. I may even have an extra one. I have yet to see anything about the time to clime record, but I've heard a few stories about it.

LP

Comment

Originally posted by MMPerk
                      On the getting one if you can't be here, I'm sure one of us can hook you up.

No footage that I remember on the time to climb record or the speed record. But I have seen a DVD about the speed record though. I may even have an extra one. I have yet to see anything about the time to clime record, but I've heard a few stories about it.

LP
                      Let me know what you need from me and when you need it (if you'll be the one picking it up for me) and I'll provide it. I would gladly pay you for your extra copy of the speed record DVD if you'd be willing to part with it as well.

What are the stories you've heard about the TTC record? I've been trying to find out some details about it, but nobody seems to know anything. The only thing I know is it was accomplished in 1989. I'm trying to find out which version of the 3350 Bear had at the time (in other words, what was it's approx HP), was it running a 4 or a 3 blade prop, etc.

Comment

MMPerk, is there a publicly available source for the DVD of the speed record attempt? I'd suspect there are a few of us interested in that as well...

I asked about the possibility of getting a copy of the Davis Production DVD by mail, since I can't attend the races this year. Recieved this reply:

"I will fwd this message to those that are in charge of sales and have them contact you to make sure you get a copy.

Best regards,

Bob Davis
                        dp Davis Productions
                        www.dpdavisproductions.com"

Comment

Originally posted by grampi
                          Let me know what you need from me and when you need it (if you'll be the one picking it up for me) and I'll provide it. I would gladly pay you for your extra copy of the speed record DVD if you'd be willing to part with it as well.

What are the stories you've heard about the TTC record? I've been trying to find out some details about it, but nobody seems to know anything. The only thing I know is it was accomplished in 1989. I'm trying to find out which version of the 3350 Bear had at the time (in other words, what was it's approx HP), was it running a 4 or a 3 blade prop, etc.
                          Grampi, what do you need to know about the time to climb record? If you do a search of this site you should be able to find lots of information, like Lyle set the record in February of 1972 at Thermal California, and the exact flight strategy for the time to climb has been posted here before by me.
                          The R-3350 used at the time of the record was an R-3350 hybrid with a 988TC18EA-2 nosecase, a -32W power section, and cylinders with the -26WC supercharger, swinging the Aeroproducts propeller using the cuffed M20A-162-0 blades. Using the smaller spinner from a P-61 blackwidow.

You wont find much about Lyle on the DVD as he was not invited to participate in it. For guys that were wanting a sketch of Rare Bear history contained in a great video presentation on the rebuild of the airplane after Rod Lewis bought it, this is an excellent tape. When my dad owned the team they used to sell the one on the 3Km, but I don't think Lewis aeronautical has the rights to that one. Lyle no longer sells any merchandise related to Rare Bear.
                          Last edited by BellCobraIV; 08-15-2008, 11:45 AM.
                          John Slack

Comment

Originally posted by hattend
                            Just surfing along and found this NEW DVD. Has anybody seen it? Do you think it'll be available at Reno?

I spoke with Bob Davis at PRS and obtained some clips of the DVD to put on the RareBear.com site. I'm currently in the process of rebuilding the site, part of which, is to be the reopening of the web store.. That said, I do not yet have the information in hand necessary to offer any merchandise.. (pay buttons/inventory) so that part may be on hold.

We will have a new look for the site prior to Reno, however.. Hopefully, the crew will have tim so the airplane will resemble the new site look...

Wayne Sagar
                            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Working...
                            X