Dogfights Over The Desert!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dogfights Over The Desert!!!

Taking the- 'Duels In The Sun' thread idea up another notch, here's a new photo thread suggestion to 'go-with-the-flow' of anticipation of the fast-approaching Reno 2007 NCAR this coming September:

'D-o-g-f-i-g-h-t-s O-v-e-r T-h-e D-e-s-e-r-t' !

Criteria for your photo posts is simple: THREE or more racers vying for position out on the racecourse- ANY race class, ANY race event or year, taken from ANY shooting vantage point. (Note: Start Shots are acceptable, PROVIDING the pace plane has already pulled up & out signaling the start of the race.)

I'm betting there's plenty of super shots out there worth sharing that fit the bill, so get those scanners cookin' & show us a few of them to get the air racing fever stoked to get ready to rumble at Reno!!! (Hey, Neal- I hope you bust loose w/some of those great classics I've seen from the Wingman Archives!)

So, here's a shot to get the ball rollin' -

Sat.- 9/13/86 - Reno NCAR Unlimited HT-3C - Pace Lap - Outer 6 Pylon

In this wild 'Dogfight', we see Dean Cutshall's yellow-nosed P-51 #91-'E2S' (aka-'Cutter's Capers') narrowly holding the lead going around the pylon, with Korean War Ace- Bob Love hot on his tail in Jack Hovey's two-tone camo Mustang Race #2, just ahead of C. J. Stephens in Lloyd Hamilton's Aussie Navy Hawker Sea Fury- #16 Baby Gorilla. Below Gorilla is Wally McDonnell's sea gray Sea Fury #106, and up high & behind Cutter is Ralph Rina flying John Marlin's green & gray white-spinner'd P-51 #102 Day Dreamer. John Muszala in POF's Mustang- #28 Spam Can is at bottom right in the photo. Also flying in this race was Dirk Leeward in P-51 #10 Cloud Dancer, and briefly- Rick Brickert in the Sanders' #924 Sea Fury. Bob Love won this race @359.539-av/mph, after leader- C. J. Stephens cut Outer 3 Pylon on Lap-3 for a 12-second penalty. This wasn't a Gold Championship event, but was one hellova contest to witness & remember for a long time afterwards.

DBD
    Attached Files
    Last edited by BuckyD; 08-11-2008, 10:57 PM.

Re: Dogfights Over The Desert!!!

Here's my offering, again, my recall is no match for yours but the pictures will tell the story.

A couple from 06 and more from 07!!!

OK, #3 is "three" duels
    Attached Files
    Last edited by sierra fox; 08-14-2008, 05:46 PM.
    "dont believe ANYTHING you hear and about HALF of what you see"...................J. Mott 1994

Comment

Here's a gaggle:

_________
      -Matt
      Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

Originally posted by sierra fox
        Here's my offering, again, my recall is no match for yours but the pictures will tell the story.

A couple from 06 and more from 07!!!

OK, #3 is "three" duels
        Nice pics. I did not realize that #5 had passed #8 before melting the motor. The curse continues. maybe this year........

Comment

Thanks Anthony, Matt & Sven for those great exciting dogfight shots -THAT'S what we're talkin' 'bout! Bring 'em ON! Let's see some more!

Here's another from the archives- '02 Reno NCAR Unlimited Heat-3B - Sat. 9/14/02 - E. Guide Pylon: A classic Mustang vs. Sea Fury battle going on w/Brian Sanders in Hawker #114 Argonaught holding the inside track against Ron Buccarelli in his Super Mixmaster P-51D #38 Precious Metal and Joe Thibodeau in Sea Fury Race #21 at the start of Lap-1.

#114 finished 3rd @ 390.669-mph over #38's 5th-place @ 375.807-mph, & #21 came in 6th @ 370.983-av/mph for the 6-lap heat, which was won by Tiger Destefani in Strega @ 413.938-mph.

DBD
          Attached Files
          Last edited by BuckyD; 08-15-2008, 10:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyD
            Thanks Anthony, Matt & Sven for those great exciting dogfight shots -THAT'S what we're talkin' 'bout! Bring 'em ON! Let's see some more!

Here's another from the archives- '02 Reno NCAR Unlimited Heat-3B - Sat. 9/14/02 - E. Guide Pylon: A classic Mustang vs. Sea Fury battle going on w/Brian Sanders in Hawker #114 Argonaught holding the inside track against Ron Buccarelli in his Super Mixmaster P-51D #38 Precious Metal and Joe Thibodeau in Sea Fury Race #21.

#114 finished 3rd @ 390.669-mph over #38's 5th-place @ 375.807-mph, & #21 came in 6th @ 370.983-av/mph for the 6-lap heat, which was won by Tiger Destefani in Strega @ 413.938-mph.

DBD
            That's a killer shot Bucky

Here's one of the jet class 2006
            Attached Files
            "dont believe ANYTHING you hear and about HALF of what you see"...................J. Mott 1994

Comment

...not really a dogfight shot but drop tanks in a pylon race are kind of interesting...

...Brown Field...1971...

Comment

Originally posted by sledge39
                ...not really a dogfight shot but drop tanks in a pylon race are kind of interesting...

...Brown Field...1971...

Wow, that's insane! What's the story there?
                _________
                -Matt
                Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

OK, Sledge, that get's the post of the year award 2008

My first air race, what a field it was!

Thanks

Anthony

Comment

some more....

Comment

Originally posted by MRussell
                      Wow, that's insane! What's the story there?
                      Better yet, name the planes and pilots!
                      "Racefuel, It's not just for breakfast anymore!" http://www.twracefotos.net

Comment

Originally posted by sledge39

...Brown Field...1971...

Thats classic blown away shawn

Comment

Truly a- 'CLASSIC' air race pic there Sledge, of Lyle Shelton's #77 'Phoenix I' Bearcat (today's Rare Bear), Gene Akers' #22 Corsair & Gary Levitz's #38 Lightning at the '71 U.S. Cup Race in San Diego (drop tanks being employed for the 100-lap event). Just superb all the way, man. Thanks for sharing that golden-oldie!

Here's another 3-way dogfight between some well-known 'Big Dogs' in today's Unlimited Class -

'02 Reno NCAR - Sat. 9/14/02 - UNL Heat-3A - Outer 4 Pylon - Lap-1

This time around- we see two Super Mustangs having a Super Sea Fury close up in their sights: Michael Brown in #232 September Fury really has his hands full at the start of this race with some serious pressure from Skip Holm in Terry Bland's #4 Dago Red & Matt Jackson flying Bob Button's purple #5 Voodoo. Dago won the fight by holding down the lead & finishing first @ 468.561-mph over September Fury's 455.825-mph, with Voodoo in 3rd @ 435.380-mph.

DBD
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by BuckyD; 08-15-2008, 11:05 PM. Reason: caption correction

Comment

You never cease to amaze Bucky! Great answer on the photo question! Not only did you name the planes and the pilots, you also passed on some knowledge of the event and it's location! I had no idea who was flying the Corsair, thanks for filling me in. Also wasn't sure if the lightning was being flown by Gary (that was my guess) or Revis Sirmon. You DA MAN! Troy
                            Last edited by t-dub; 08-16-2008, 10:23 AM.
                            "Racefuel, It's not just for breakfast anymore!" http://www.twracefotos.net

Comment

Hi Troy - I certainly appreciate all your kind kudos and I've always tried to embrace the discipline that keeping track the 'who-what-when-where' photo data is essential & every photo is a precious piece of history. This info is meaningful to some of us today, and surely to more of us later on as time passes. (I.e. - we can all easily relate to browsing through the shoebox of old family photographs, and feeling both curious & frustrated in noting few w/any dates or captions written on the back of them for ID, huh?).

No way around it- record-keeping's always a tedious hassle. A photo 'sans-ID' -is just a photo, no matter how great the image is, in my humble opinion. Our special focus on the subject of air racing is definately all about an important & special chapter of aviation history. At least noting the year the photo was taken is a good start. Obviously, the photo subject matter dictates the relevance level of caption detailing (say, an artful or a scenic photo vs. a photo-journalistic subject). Lastly, it also goes w/o saying- who took the photo is a key component of the photographic history ('proper photo credit'). Anyway, that's why I personally take the time to include the photo history notes, and my sincere thanks to all who do appreciate the info that belongs to a photograph.

DBD
                              Last edited by BuckyD; 08-16-2008, 04:49 PM. Reason: grammatical correction

Comment

Working...
                              X