Wingtips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wingtips

Over the years I have seen many racing wingtips--concave, rounded, curved, with all sorts of fences and spoilers on them.

I have also seen a few racers which have clipped the span of the horizontal stabilizer.

How come nobody has ever tried putting a racing tip on a clipped horizontal? If it\'s good for the big, shouldn\'t there be some gain in the small?

Jim

Re: Wingtips

This is only a guess, but I'm assuming because it wouldn't be cost effective and probably have a VERY minimal effect. The whole reason to have the shaped wingtips in the first place is to reduce the effects of induced drag. I don't think the horizontal stabs/elevators produce very much induced drag at all.

Perhaps an aerodynamicist can verify this?

Comment

If you take the square of the horizantal and invert the square root of the tip area times the drag co-efficient, resulting in a converse ratio, I think you'll see why it isn't used much.....hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by supercub
        If you take the square of the horizantal and invert the square root of the tip area times the drag co-efficient, resulting in a converse ratio, I think you'll see why it isn't used much.....hope this helps.
        AHHHHHH, yes.
        I see.

But I believe that the effect of white paint reflecting light and thereby producing equivalent reflective thrust, is more effective yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Jones
          AHHHHHH, yes.
          I see.

But I believe that the effect of white paint reflecting light and thereby producing equivalent reflective thrust, is more effective yet.

ROFLMAO!!!!

I was like what the hell did he say? I had to re, re, re, reread it and it still dint make a mark on the inside of my brain. Would someone please put it in lay mans terms so I / we can understand what he said.

thanks

Wolfee,

Comment

In short, it not big enough to make a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by race9
              In short, it not big enough to make a difference.

Now that is lay man terms!

Thanks

Wolfee

Comment

I purchased a video probably 15 years ago that the Strega team produced. In it, they showed where they had taken the \'cup\' part of a plastic spoon and fiberglassed it over the tiny opening for the aileron hinge in the wing. When asked, someone, perhaps it was Bill Kerchenfaut or Dwight Thorne, said that \"Every little bit helps. And when you add a whole lot of every little bit together, it makes a big bit of difference.\"

Now I admit I am not an expert on aerodynamics, but I\'m not sure I buy the \"it doesnt have much effect\" answer if every little bit helps.

But I\'ll let it go.

Jim

Comment

You would think there would be something to be had with controlling spanwise flow on the stab.
                  Red
                  chanting...400+

Comment

Interesting that Dago uses the old style tips on the horz. They must have decided that the clipped tips didn't really help -even though clipping reduces the wetted area a little.

Rounded tips seem better than square if you are talking about all out speed. Raked back(Nemesis) even better(IMHO).

How about the airfoils on the horz. and vertical on Mustangs? Could one optimize for speed, IE modern high speed laminar flow airfoils?

Comment

Working...
                    X