Jimmy Leeward and the B

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jimmy Leeward and the B

They say patience is a virtue. In the case of Jimmy Leeward and jack Roush's B model Mustang that would certainly be the case. I tried, unsuccessfully to photograph Jimmy Leeward flying jack Roush's B model Mustang when he was accomplishing the test flying at Salinas. Too many obstacles got in the way. It was unfortunate for Jim and I know he was a little bummed about the missed opportunity. Leeward put about 12-15 hours on Roush's new Mustang in order for Jack to be able to take the Mustang back to Michigan. A lot of hard work and nothing to show for it. Well, we made up for that at Oshkosh. Leeward was given the opportunity to fly Roush's Mustang for a two ship photo shoot with the other b model recently rolled out of Pacific Fighters, Idaho. The wait was worth it as you wil see in the attached photo. It was a pleasure to be able to photograph Leeward flying this stunning Mustang example. And from my vantage point it was absolutely breath taking to see the two Mustangs together. I certainly want to thank Jack Roush, John Muszala and Jimmy Leeward for the photo opportunity. These men are a big reason for the number of outstanding Mustang examples recently joining the warbird fold. Jimmy, it was a pleasure to accomplish the photo shoot with you and I look forward to many more opportunities. As for the rest of you there will be more photos to follow from Oshkosh soon. Let me get unpacked and get to editing the thousands of photos I took over the past week. Until then, enjoy this little teaser.

Dave
    Attached Files

Re: Jimmy Leeward and the B

Wow, that is a fantastic shot. I can't wait for the others. Thankyou in advance. Rad

Comment

Saw Wheet!!

See, I told you I didn't need to shoot last week!

Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Excellent shot! And a Happy Birthday too you!
        http://www.pbase.com/marauder61
        http://www.cafepress.com/aaphotography

Comment

That is one sweet looking plane.. Thanks for sharing your pictures..

Jeff

Comment

Quick question, is that a B or a C? It looks like a B with a Malcom hood (I think that is what it was called) which I thought made it a C.

Just wondering.

Michele

Comment

Wow! This is so cool that razorbacks are coming back.

John

Comment

The Malcolm hood was fit to both B & C. The difference between a B & C was the propeller and the factory. C's were Dallas built and B's were Inglewood. Shooting from the hip here and I am sure the Mustang experts here will know more differences.
                Jeez! I remember when Pete Regina built up his "B" (It had a lot of "D" in it) and was the first on the warbird circuit back in 81-82. Back then they said there were no more parts so his was it. Now there are several razorbacks and two with the malcolm hood!
                Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Leo,

The number of salvages and Mustang airframes being found these days make it possible for these rare early models to be built. The restoration facilities like Cal Pacific Airmotive, and Pacific Fighters have the means to build-up these early examples with fabrication of those parts that are needed. Owners are now go after these airframes because of the advancements restoration facilities now have in filling in the gaps so to speak. I think it is absolutely terrific that there are people willing to step up and fund such worth while restorations, and I hope it continues. I am not sure people realize that these two malcolm Hood Mustangs are the ONLY examples anywhere. There isn't even an early model Mustang with a Malcolm Hood displayed in a museum, and that includes the Air and Space Museum. Let us all celebrate the work and effort of these people to bring these beautiful examples to us. Catch the current issue of Flight Journal to get the whole story about Jack Roush's B model Mustang.

Dave

Comment

I realize it, and definately applaud it! With the value of the finished product so high it's inevitable that restorers will be putting airframes in the air that were either extinct or scrap back when I first got interested in all this.
                    I still get a kick when I see online or in some publication a picture of a pile of parts, burned out wreck, wreckage pulled from some body of water or some mountaintop, sometimes not recognizable as an aircraft, with a caption saying it will be restored to airworthy.
                    airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Leo
                      The Malcolm hood was fit to both B & C. The difference between a B & C was the propeller and the factory. C's were Dallas built and B's were Inglewood. Shooting from the hip here and I am sure the Mustang experts here will know more differences.
                      Jeez! I remember when Pete Regina built up his "B" (It had a lot of "D" in it) and was the first on the warbird circuit back in 81-82. Back then they said there were no more parts so his was it. Now there are several razorbacks and two with the malcolm hood!
                      No difference in propellors, just the factory.
                      Last edited by Chad Veich; 08-04-2008, 07:38 PM.

Comment

It is amazing that such rare Mustangs can be "recreated" from piles of wrecked aircraft parts. It's my understanding that just about any version of the Mustang can be built, since most blueprints are still available. I believe most of the variants have been replicated except for the A-36, the H model and the Twin Mustang.

Some amazing companies like the ones mentioned earlier can build just about any model for the serious Mustang owner.

I would love to see someone mass produce the Twin Mustang. There are now 3 Twin Mustangs in the process of or shortly will be restored to flying condition. Can you imagine a flight of 3 F/P-82's? Pretty incredible, really!

I wonder what kind of speed a fairly stock Twin Mustang would get around the race course at Reno? Does anyone know if the CAF's example was ever flown on the course at Reno, even for exhibition only?
                        Last edited by dvddude; 08-05-2008, 02:45 AM.

Comment

I don't remember it ever being here. It did'nt fly long before it had it's accident.
                          The XP-82B that came from Soplata's yard is missing a lot from what I've heard. Wings, one fuselage... Maybe Reilly will build enough parts that it trickles down to a recreation? Anyone have a data plate they want to part with?
                          airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Leo
                            I don't remember it ever being here. It did'nt fly long before it had it's accident.
                            The XP-82B that came from Soplata's yard is missing a lot from what I've heard. Wings, one fuselage... Maybe Reilly will build enough parts that it trickles down to a recreation? Anyone have a data plate they want to part with?
                            I believe it flew longer than you remember it. I know the CAF acquired the Twin Mustang in 1966 and was flying in the 70's. I first saw it fly in about '77 and it crashed in '87, so it flew for at least 10 years, probably longer. Does anyone know when the first flight of the CAF's example was?

Comment

Much longer. I thought it's crash was earlier. Did it fly much during that time? I only remember seeing pics of it in the air at the big CAF gathering. At that time thee wasn't much more tha Air Classics for my info so...
                              Hopefully the "new" ones coming out will visit a few more shows so we can all see. Reno would be nice, even Rolls Heritage would at least get it here.
                              airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                              X