First Rocket Racing League Demo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Rocket Racing League Demo

Wow.. I was busy at my "day job" today in the exhibition building but set aside my afternoon break so I could go watch the rocket racing league demo...

Pretty cool..

First we got a lot of build up... they towed out the cool racer and along with a really high tension building narrative by the announcer, a lot of crew activity let everyone know, this was serious business we were about to see.

I heard the announcer say a lot of times, that this was really the NASCAR of the sky and that anyone familiar with that sport would understand what he was talking about.

Then there was a lot of clearing of the rocket.. you know, where they blow smoke out of the back. The cool announcer guy was building the excitement by the minute as puff after puff of this vapor stuff came out the back of the rocket racer!

Then the crew had to come up to make sure everything was A OK! This is really looking like some serious business we're about to see!

Then the moment we'd all been waiting for.. LIGHT THE FIRE!!

Followed by some really blazing flame on passes. The announcer was explaining why the pilot kept turning off the rocket and gliding for a while, something about the turns and being too fast and that NASCAR fans would understand exactly what he was talking about!

Then we got a really cool quiet dead stick landing and everyone clapped!

This was such an exciting event, I could not understand why a lot of the people around me were taking pictures of the other airplanes around us that were just sitting still!

Attached Files
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Re: First Rocket Racing League Demo

Wow, pretty much just as I envisioned...

Comment

Yea, it was cool. It sounded really weird when they turned off the rocket. Wayne, did you get to see the 'Jetpack?'

Comment

You know... you guys *could try* a bit harder to contain all that excitment you have for this (dare I say) up and comming sport.

Wolfee

Comment

And this resembles NAPCAR in what way? Oh B-O-R-I-N-G! I get it now..............
          "Racefuel, It's not just for breakfast anymore!" http://www.twracefotos.net

Comment

Photos of the jetpack would be cool, there was a good article in my local daily newspaper about the jetpack being displayed at Oshkosh...
            It was developed by a guy from Dunedin in NZ... hence why it was in the Otago Daily Times in Dunedin... link here http://www.odt.co.nz/news/dunedin/15...-039jetpack039
            race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

Comment

Very nice photos, though...

Neal

Comment

The occasional need to turn off the engine.

Yup.

JUST like NASCAR.
                Last edited by Propellerhead; 07-30-2008, 08:31 AM.

Comment

Don't the Unlimiteds turn off the engines as they pass the home pylon on lap 1 of the Gold final on Sunday afternoon? After all, they wouldn't want to exceed 500 mph!!

Comment

I don't know why that unit is called a "jet pack", unless it's to entice sales.

It's not jet propelled, and it's not a back-pack. The unit uses twin ducted fans and a piston engine, and sits on the ground on it's own legs instead of being strapped on and supported by the pilot.

In my world, they call that a "personal helicopter". Did I miss something?

Here's another article on the heli-pack, with photo:

..And here's a video:
                    Read more:http://www.newscientist.com/blog/space/2008/07/could-world-see-its-first-practical.html?DCMP=youtubeHarrison Martin, 16-year-old son of inventor Gl...

Last edited by AirDOGGe; 07-30-2008, 09:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Propellerhead

Yup.

JUST like NASCAR.

Heh-heh.

Hmmmm. That could prove interesting. Give Jeff Gordon and the rest of "the boys" just a little less gas than they need to complete a race, then tell them to "shut 'er down" once in awhile to save gas.

Armidillo's engine is going to be throttle-capable, so perhaps that little (off/on) detail will fade away if their engine is finally chosen for the rocket racers.

Comment

Wanna' get my attention....break out an XLR-99! Now that's throttleable!!
                        Might be a little tough diggin' up some iconel for the fuse...
                        Eddie's Airplane Patch-Birthplace of the "Sonic Boom".......and I'm reminded every friggin' day!

Comment

I'd rather watch the Red Bull Air Race than that.

Comment

Originally posted by Propellerhead

Yup.

JUST like NASCAR.
                            "dont believe ANYTHING you hear and about HALF of what you see"...................J. Mott 1994

Comment

Sounds like the same tire problems NASCAR had at Indy, at least Helton had enough class to go on TV half way through the race an apologize. Guess these guys have been sniffing a little too much of the exhaust smoke (and have tried to steal a page from the jet dragster folks except they forgot the noise). But somebody needs to address the limited life of unlimiteds as we know them and Reno as a venue. Anything less than 500 mph capable aircraft will kill the sport except for the racers themselves.

Ron
                              Ron Henning

Comment

Working...
                              X