Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noise complaint at Luke AFB

Noise Complaint at Luke AFB, AZ

Luke AFB is west of Phoenix and is rapidly being surrounded by civilization that complains about the noise from the base and its planes, forgetting that it was there long before they were.

A certain lieutenant colonel at Luke AFB deserves a big pat on the back. Apparently, an individual who lives somewhere near Luke AFB wrote the local paper complaining about a group of F-16s that disturbed their day at the mall. When that individual read the response from a Luke AFB officer, it must have stung quite a bit.

The complaint:

'Question of the day for Luke Air Force Base: Whom do we thank for the morning air show? Last Wednesday, at precisely

9:11 A.M., a tight formation of four F-16 jets made a low pass over Arrowhead Mall, continuing west over Bell Road at approximately 500 feet.

Imagine our good fortune! Do the 'Tom Cruise-wannabes' feel we need this wake-up call, or were they trying to impress the cashiers at Mervyn's early bird special? Any response would be appreciated.'

The response:

Regarding 'A wake-up call from Luke's jets' (Letters, Thursday):

On June 15, at precisely 9:12 A.M., a perfectly timed four-ship flyby of F-16s from the 63rd Fighter Squadron at Luke Air Force Base flew over the grave of Capt. Jeremy Fresques. Capt. Fresques was an Air Force officer who was previously stationed at Luke Air Force Base and was killed in Iraq on May 30, Memorial Day.

At 9 A.M. on June 15, his family and friends gathered at Sunland Memorial Park in Sun City to mourn the loss of a husband, son and friend. Based on the letter writer's recount of the flyby, and because of the jet noise, I'm sure you didn't hear the 21-gun salute, the playing of Taps, or my words to the widow and parents of Capt. Fresques as I gave them their son's flag on behalf of the President of the United States and all those veterans and servicemen and women who understand the sacrifices they have endured.

A four-ship flyby is a display of respect the Air Force gives to those who give their lives in defense of freedom. We are professional aviators and take our jobs seriously, and on June 15 what the letter writer witnessed was four officers lining up to pay their ultimate respects.

The letter writer asks, 'Whom do we thank for the morning air show? The 56th Fighter Wing will make the call for you, and forward your thanks to the widow and parents of Capt. Fresques, and thank them for you, for it was in their honor that my pilots flew the most honorable formation of their lives.

Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you.....Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your soul and liberty; the other for your natural freedom.

(signed) Lt. Col. Grant L. Rosensteel, Jr. USAF

Re: Noise complaint at Luke AFB

This all happened back in 2005. And the guy who wrote the smarmy letter is ex-militairy and apologized for his uninformed outburst. His response to the letter from the air force - which doesn't seem to get added to this chain email that is being passed around - was published
    July 9th, 2005:

"I read with increasing embarrassment and humility the response to my
    unfortunate letter to The Republic concerning an Air Force flyby ("A
    wake-up call from Luke's jets," Letters, June 23).

I had no idea of the significance of the flyby, and would never have
    insulted such a fine and respectful display had I known.

I have received many calls from the fine airmen who are serving or have
    served at Luke, and I have attempted to explain my side and apologized
    for any discomfort my letter has caused.

This was simply an uninformed citizen complaining about noise.

I have been made aware in both written and verbal communications of the four-ship flyby, and my heart goes out to each and every lost serviceman and woman in this war in which we are engaged.

I have been called un-American by an unknown caller and I feel that I
    must address that. I served in the U.S. Navy and am a Vietnam veteran. I love my country and respect the jobs that the service organizations are
    doing.

Please accept my heartfelt apologies.

Tom MacRae, Peoria"

-Just thought I would add the rest of this story. Takes a little of the sting away.

Comment

I spend several months a year visiting my Dad in Sun City, Az. His house is right on the approach for Luke, so each day there is a pretty constant flow of F-16's heading home. As I have heard it said before, "that is the sound of freedom".

Dan Plunkett

Comment

I'm not sure why someone knowingly would build a house near the base, and then complain about the noise. If they didn't like they noise, then why did they build the house. It isn't like they didn't know there was an Air Force base there. What did they think they did there, fly dirigables? I still am surprised by the stupidity of man. In this case it was a mistake, however you know folks around luke complain constantly.

Sorta like moving to a house next to the dump, and then complaining about the smell.

I grew up living next to a cemetary, and the neighbors only got noisy one day a year. I was told on occasion that if i didn't smarten up it was a quick trip over the fence

Comment

Happens all the time tho. Build around the base or airport then force it to close for noise and safety. It will eventually become an issue at Stead. Already safety, after the Levitz crash, has caused a lot of changes. There is a lot of development going on and planned between the airport and the freeway, basically under the "chute". There has even been talk of developing some land as industrial in the infield of the course.

I remember a few years back when there was talk of developing all that open land around Travis Air Force Base. Those in the know had worries about noise complaints and the obvious impact of a C-5 going down (god forbid) into a housing subdivision. Base commander told the locals that if they encroached with new zoning, then the next round of base closures might have the Travis mission moved to another base. The county having already lost Mare Island and it's money, it was amazing how fast the idea was dropped.
          Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
          airplanenutleo@gmail.com
          thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Ah, you've got to love the NIMBY's!

I predict the Reno Air Races as we know it, will cease to exist in the future. Whether it takes 20 or 30 years, eventually it will cease, unfortunately. With land encroachment, the high cost of fuel/insurance/liability and the increasing rarity of warbirds, I hate to say it, but it's inevitable. I can see a day when new technologies, i.e.- the new Rocket league will surpass Reno and cause Reno to be left behind.

I hope I'm wrong, though.

Comment

When I was stationed at Patrick AFB 1976-77 most retired military bought homes in Satellite Beach just south of the runway and then filed noise complaint lawsuits. It all started in Los Angeleges in the 1970s where folks got their homes bought for more than they were worth to settele a noise lawsuit.

Ron
              Ron Henning

Comment

When I was a kid we lived on an extended centerline of Ontario 's airport. It was a lot smaller then, Lockheed (where my dad worked) was doing testing there as was one of the engine builders, either GE or Westinghouse. Our lives were surrounded by the noise of jets on test stands and constant flyovers. Sonic booms were common and I remember the big window in the front room being replaced many times. The sound of freedom. The sounds of the prop liners out there are fond memories.
                While I would'nt want to live under the approach to an international, I've always seemed to live close to an airport or airbase and the sound has never been an issue with me.
                BUT, being in land development, I have seen an ignorance over the years in people. They spend no effort to do even cursory research (like looking around) of the surroundings of their new home, or the future of the area. They rely on the sellers retoric (please do not construe this to mean all are crooked) then are surprised by the result. "Nobody told me there was going to be a truck stop there", even tho it was zoned 20 years ago. Just the way it is.
                As far as Reno "as we know it" surviving, air racing is constantly evolving anyway. It's nothing like it was in the 30's now, or the 40's or even the 80's. I for one look forward to that evolution even tho it may eventually mean the loss of the planes I love the most.
                Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Wasn't that email posted as San Francisco once too?

Comment

Originally posted by wyhdah
                    Wasn't that email posted as San Francisco once too?
                    Perhaps, but it is a 100% true Luke AFB story. I was there TDY when the original letter was published in the paper.

The "Jesus Christ and the American Soldier" part of the Squadron Commander's reply letter, by the way, is an internet addition to his original letter.
                    Last edited by Randy Haskin; 07-31-2008, 10:32 PM.

Comment

He does realize he made a mistake...but if he was ex military in the first place why would even think to complain? Wierd. This reminds of the story on the news last night of the people who's home is in the wilderness complaining about bears...excuse me, stupid asses, you are in THEIR home.

JH
                      Last edited by John H; 08-01-2008, 06:10 PM.

Comment

He does realize he made a mistake...but if he was ex military in the first place why would even think to complain?
                        This is assuming that he really feels bad in the first place. He could just be covering his butt since it made him look bad. I knew a guy who talked alot of guff about Vietnam and the "evil" soldiers he served with over there (he was a typewriter mechanic). One day he made a comment about our troops in Iraq, and when people actually stopped talking to him, he changed the whole context of his statements to cover himself.
                        Tony

Comment

I never thought i'd say that Illinois does thinks smartly, however they do have laws here that prevent noise (or smell, or other type complaints) against pre-existing entities in these types of cases. IE, if you build near ohare, then you can't file suit later to shut ohare down becuase of the noise. In a case i am pretty familiar with, you can use noise of gun fire to shut down the trap/skeet/pistol range that you built you house near, when the range has been in it's location for over 70 years. Wound the neighbors up something fierce, but the state law held. up in the courts. Northern illinois is a little harsh on the shooting sports, but lost this time.

Guess the sun shines on a dogs butt every once in a while.

Comment

Working...
                          X