Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT.. kinda, sort of... but not really

White knight 2 Mothership unvieled.

Out there design... Good looking... But scary looking to fly in.
    Looks like it would be a hanfull to fly.

Re: OT.. kinda, sort of... but not really

Damn, that's one Butt Ugly airplane. It looks like a siamese twin that never fully developed. Looks like the designer forgot to connect the horizontal stabs/elevators together.

The track width of that landing gear is HUGE! I sure hope they plan on only operating that thing on VERY WIDE runways, as those wheels will surely be close to the edge.

Cool concept though!

Comment

I'm sorry, but I wouldn't get in that thing for all the tea in China. Would love to go into space, but again, I'd be looking for a different ride then the Rutan ship. With just two success's, and both of those had their share of problems, they plan on taking passengers now? What I'd like to know....is what is the FAA going to have say about all this. Paying customers in a homebuilt airplane? So it's going to have to be certified.....and what about all the headaches involved with that. I mean look at the Lear Fan and the certification problems they encountered, my understanding was that was the downfall of that airplane. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for private enterprise in space, and I wish Rutan all the best with this project.
      Brian

Comment

Originally posted by dvddude
        Damn, that's one Butt Ugly airplane. It looks like a siamese twin that never fully developed. Looks like the designer forgot to connect the horizontal stabs/elevators together.

The track width of that landing gear is HUGE! I sure hope they plan on only operating that thing on VERY WIDE runways, as those wheels will surely be close to the edge.

Cool concept though!
        "Ugly" is in the eye of the beholder. To me it looks like a purpose built airplane designed to do a specific task, and do it well. I would say the split stabilizer/elevator is to accomodate Spaceship Two. Perhaps unconventional, but not ugly.

It's not really HUGE; wingspan is only 160 feet. Landing gear track is, again, wide for a purpose (carrying Spaceship Two). Compare size to any modern airliner, and check runway width at most any airport.

Comment

Ever seen a Rutan design that was even NEAR conventional?
          Branson has been throwing out the number of 100 test flights before he and his family will fly to space on it. I have no idea what would be a safe number to prove the design and concept, it's a new field. Maybe the FAA will have some idea...
          With a ticket price of $200,000 I'll never have to personally make a choice as to whether I feel it is safe.
          Someone had to enter into this, I'm all for the try.
          Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
          airplanenutleo@gmail.com
          thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

2 Hot Laps around the Unlimited Course in the back seat of the Buick...Priceless...D.

Comment

Originally posted by supercub
              I'm sorry, but I wouldn't get in that thing for all the tea in China. Would love to go into space, but again, I'd be looking for a different ride then the Rutan ship. With just two success's, and both of those had their share of problems, they plan on taking passengers now? What I'd like to know....is what is the FAA going to have say about all this. Paying customers in a homebuilt airplane? So it's going to have to be certified.....and what about all the headaches involved with that. I mean look at the Lear Fan and the certification problems they encountered, my understanding was that was the downfall of that airplane. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for private enterprise in space, and I wish Rutan all the best with this project.
              Brian
              Forgive my sarcasm, but nice job outlining every reason it "can't be done." Imagine where we'd be if Kelly Johnson, Bill Lear, Rutan, Von Braun, and others had thought like that.
              Last edited by MRussell; 07-30-2008, 05:12 AM.
              _________
              -Matt
              Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

Working...
              X