Trivia question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trivia question.

In what year did Bob Hoover say '' Gentleman, you do not have a race!" as he lead the pack down the chute for the start of an Unlimited Gold Race???
    Last edited by Kenny Price; 07-22-2008, 08:59 PM.

Re: Trivia question.

Hi Kenny , was it 1986 or 87 i remember blind mans bluff and Jeinnie too came down the chute? Shawn
    Last edited by Shawn Aro; 02-20-2011, 05:47 PM.

Comment

Much earlier Shawn.

Comment

Didn't he say that every year?
        Full throttle till you see God, then turn left!

Comment

Originally posted by Race 29
          Didn't he say that every year?
          Reread the quote.

Jarrod

Comment

Ok, Ok I know everyone is on pins and needles on this question....( yeah right ) but this is how I remember it.
            It had been a very bad day of flying and racing.
            The morning started out with a Stearman attempting a banner pickup, loses power, stalls and slams into the ground, pilot was slightly injured.
            The race horse start for the AT-6 Gold heat race 2C was underway when tragedy struck. Don Dewalt and Dimitri Prian collided on pylon 7...we lost them both.
            Bill or Don Whittington was flying a camo P-51H that year when during the silver heat race had a mayday, made a deadstick on the east/west runway, over ran the runway and ground looped in the sage brush.
            Bob Hoover in the Rockwell International mustang brings the boys down the chute.....it was very obvious that the racers were not lined up with him, (I am sure some of you will remember this and some of you will know who the racers were), I remember two or more racers were well ahead of him and others were high above as well.
            " Gentlemen, you are not looking good! Gentlemen, you DO NOT have a race!! Very unprofessional gentlemen was his next response. The next start was successful,
            I believe that is the only start that ever required a second attempt.
            The date was Saturday, September 16, 1978.
            Last edited by Kenny Price; 07-27-2008, 04:36 PM.

Comment

I think this happened once in the 90's too. Or at least one time since I have been watching the races, and that would be 1988 or after.

Comment

Kenny I was too young to remember that and i was in town with my Mom that year but i rember the next day when it was very cold and a snow storm came and shut everything down. Shawn
                Last edited by Shawn Aro; 02-20-2011, 05:45 PM.

Comment

Bad day.
                  Last edited by stuntflyr; 07-27-2008, 08:36 PM.

Comment

The AT-6 class was ultimately dissolved until 1981 where the air start was introduced and the AT-6 class was once again a Reno highlight.
                    GO WARLOCK!!

Comment

Working...
                    X