Re: some more Prs pics

i forgot one more
    Attached Files

Comment

Great stuff Shawn, I like the pic of Strega with Peavine as the backdrop

Comment

How many pilots actually wear parachutes?

Jeff

Comment

Everyone that I know wears one. I usually wear my own (big thanks to Strong), but just used the one that was in the airplane this year at pylon school.

chip

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff E
            How many pilots actually wear parachutes?

Jeff
            Depends on the class - many in F1 do not due to the tight confines of the cockpit and the slim possibility to zoom to a safe bailout altitude in the event of an emergency. I literally can't fit in 99 with one, but wear one in 98 because I have plenty of room.
            F1 Race 98 & 99

Comment

John is exactly right there. I would assume that all of the Unlimited and T-6 guys wear chutes, but very few of the Formulas do. I know that the Cassutt I was in last year only gave me somewhere between 500-600 feet of zoom climb when I had a Mayday, so if that were a fire, I'd have been better off just getting the airplane back on the ground ASAP, vs. trying to bail out.

What I'm curious about though is why many of the racers (mostly T-6 guys) don't wear helmets. They're required in Formula One, as they should be. Just my $.02 worth. (Sorry to hijack the thread)

Gary

Comment

For some reason, our rules do not require a helmet. For that matter, they do not require a chute, but if used they state it must be a current pack. I personally like a helmet and a chute, just hope I don't ever have to use either.

Anybody remember the Right Stuff movie when asked if that was a crash helmet and the reply was "Oh, I hope not."

chip

Comment

Cool.. thanks for the answers.. I didnt mean to hijack the thread at all.. I just saw the chute in the pic and asked...
                  The pilots in the F1 class almost wear the plane so I can understand not being able to..

Thanks again for the reply's!

Jeff E

Comment

[QUOTE=Jeff E] I didnt mean to hijack the thread at all.. I just saw the chute in the pic and asked...

I didn't see it as a hijack. Just a little diversion in search of some good information. Now back to the subject.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Ken from PG
                      I didn't see it as a hijack. Just a little diversion in search of some good information. Now back to the subject.
                      Speaking of thread jacks, I did not know that Merlins Magic was at PRS.

Comment

What is it, that if you need it, you will never need it again ???
                        Mystical Power

Comment

Saturday shots in the wind
                          Attached Files

Comment

A lot of the biplane pilots wear chutes and helmets, after all, many are acro pilots the other 51 weeks of the year. The class rules do not require them, although they do require a firesuit. I always wear the helmet, chute, suit and Nomex gloves whenever I fly one of my planes. In fact. I feel weird getting into Champ or Citabria every two years for my BFR and NOT wearing it all.
                            Jeff Lo
                            Biplane race #13 "Miss Gianna"
                            Biplane race #6 "Miss Dianne"

Comment

Working...
                            X