Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pullin' Yer Own Weight (- & THEN SOME!!!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pullin' Yer Own Weight (- & THEN SOME!!!)

A good aircraft Tow Tractor Tug vehicle is an essential required item to complete any well-heeled Unlimited Air Race Team's equipment list.

Over the years, a variety of tug types have appeared at air racing events to provide ready & reliable movement of their crew's airplane(s) to & from their assigned pit stall out onto the ramp for fuel servicing, testing, & spotting/retrieval during events, whenever needed.

From restored WW2-surplus Clarks, to vintage Clarktors, Harlans, Northwesterns, Uniteds & other types, these seasoned veterans of many years' faithful military & commercial duty- enjoy extended lives humbly moving racers around the field. Some get 'spiffed-up' w/flashy matching racer color schemes & fancy appointments, or remain in their basic utility white or yellow.

For those less-concerned about 'classic style' who simply require facility & functionality- a good pickup truck fitted w/a hitch will do nicely. P/U's are much more adept at hauling loads of support equipment, gear and people than their small but stout & strong purpose-built towing counterparts.

Here's a casual look at aircraft tow tug vehicles used by various teams during race week in the past. (Note: I'm hoping this subject might be of some interest, & a bit of fun viewing by race team owners & crews in particular. Now I don't pretend to know much at all about these neat machines, so I'm sorry I can't ID makes & models for those who might want to know such info DBD

Top row (L-R):

1. & 2. Thurs. 9/11/80 - For those who were there, who could ever forget the 'El Camino Years' of Lyle Shelton's #77 Rare Bear Air Race Team? That mid-1970s white Chevy had a funky flair that was totally cool for a tow vehicle adaptation, and looked 'rugged-but-right' for The Bear & crew at that point in their history. "And, away we GO!......"

3. Sat. 9/12/87 - Scott Sherman's #84 Stiletto team may have been possibly trying to emulate Rare Bear's 'El Camino mystique', by utilizing this late-70s LTD-style Ford Ranchero, but it was way 'too pristine' for comparison...

4. Sun. 9/20/81 - Traditionally, pickup trucks (like this Ford towing Wiley Sanders' #69 Jeannie w/Dave Zeuschel & crew after their Gold win) have been the dominant force in applied tow vehicles to date at the air races, and the choice for official Reno NCAR ramp opns.

5. Sun. 9/7/03 - WW2 Willys Jeeps moved countless warbirds around airfields around the world, and over 2,000 Jeep Mod. CJ-10A flightline tow tractors adapted from the original were built. This modern Jeep gets Rare Bear in line for the fuel truck at Reno.

Middle row (L-R) - Various classic tugs on duty:

1. Reno '82 - #4 Dago Red
    2. Mon. 9/8/86 - #84 Stiletto
    3. Tue. 9/13/94 - #77 Rare Bear
    4. Wed. 9/12/01 - #22 Merlin's Magic
    5. Mon. 9/20/99 - #5 Voodoo

Bottom row (L-R):

1. Mon. 9/16/96 - Museum of Flying's restored tug (w/#49 Cottonmouth) was donated by Lockheed Corp., & truly exemplifies the term- "Classic".

2. Fri. 9/12/97 - 'HOT ROD TUG' (w/crew chief extraordinaire- Bill Kerchenfaut at the wheel) moves #7 Strega back to her pit stall in style, taking aircraft tug types up to the highest level: "RADICAL"!!!

3. Sun. 9/15/85 - 'The Agricultural Approach'...#4 Dago Red heads for the Unlimited Gold Race entries' lineup in front of the Reno grandstands.

4. Wed. 9/10/86 - 'The Agricultural Approach... 'Size LARGE' - John Deere tractor moves the big P&W R-4360 corncob-engined Super Corsair Corsair out to the Stead Field ramp.

5. Sun. 9/11/94 - And then there's- Bill 'Tiger' Destefani- 'Doin' it his way' (to borrow a line from- 'Ole' Blue Eyes') - hitchin' up his heavy metal thoroughbred- #7 Strega, at Reno. How can ya top Tiger?!?
    Attached Files

Re: Pullin' Yer Own Weight (- & THEN SOME!!!)

Those shots are so cool.....the guys that never get the glory......they bring the racers down the pit lanes without a hitch every year......best time to get up close and in your face!!!! Remember to duck when the wing comes by.....!!!!! Oh...new hair cut.....LOL
    Went Fast, Forgot to Turn Left, Saw God!

Comment

thanks for a little glory for us guys doing the towing. anybody have a picture of the team of oxen that was used one year?
      bob burns
      ex tow-3, now race 66 crew
      "dont mess with texas"

Comment

I thought I remembered something called "SuperTug" that had a supercharged engine. But I might be mistaken.
        Tom Johnson,
        Aviation Insurance Broker / Yak 50 Owner
        www.airpowerinsurance.com

Comment

Originally posted by tow-3
          thanks for a little glory for us guys doing the towing. anybody have a picture of the team of oxen that was used one year?
          And the elephant?

Comment

Originally posted by tjyak50
            I thought I remembered something called "SuperTug" that had a supercharged engine. But I might be mistaken.
            I believe you are right. It was black with yellow writing right?? I bet I have a picture somewhere of me sitting on it when I was little.
            My heart starts beating again in September.

Comment

One of my favorites has always been "Tugnought."

Hey... someone tell Tiger to figure out how to use his Viper to pull the Witch.
              _________
              -Matt
              Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

My favorite was Rare Bears converted ice cream truck of a couple years ago. Darryls oxen were cool also.
                Isn't that Supertug with Kertch in it? They used to have their own web site.
                And I sorely miss the tug races. Anyone else remember Art Vance's converted drop tank go-cart?
                Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

....it aint pullin' but someone mentioned "TUGNAUGHT"
                  Attached Files
                  "dont believe ANYTHING you hear and about HALF of what you see"...................J. Mott 1994

Comment

Don't forget the two Oxen Daryl used to pull Conquest I down the ramp years ago. Anyone have a picture of that?

Comment

Originally posted by tjyak50
                      http://www.pbase.com/marauder61
                      http://www.cafepress.com/aaphotography

Comment

Bear tug

Comment

I do like the play on words with Tugnaut

but I think my favorite tug has to be the little one like the Czech Mate guys use.
                          Last edited by Jason S.; 07-08-2008, 12:51 AM.
                          Jason Schillereff

Comment

And then there's the Thunder Tug... tow vehicle for the Thunder Mustang. Sadly I'm on the rode so all my pics are unavailable right now. I'm sure someone has captured that beast in action before.
                            Stevo

Blue Thunder Air Racing
                            My Photos
                            My Ride

Comment

As I remember it the "Clark" tugs were built for pulling small carts around the foundry where axles were cast then tugged around to different assembly points. The tugs we built inhouse for internal use, they were not very fast but they could pull very heavy loads. Several customers were in the foundry saw the tugs and asked if we could make one for them, soon the word spread and Clark started up a line building tugs. You will still see them at airports all over the world, still serving after 50 plus years.

Comment

Working...
                              X