Master Rod?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Master Rod?

Since I've been, predominately, a herder of electrons my adult life, I never aquired an A&P. That being said, could one of you mechanical geniuses explain the basic concept of the Radial Engine? All I can visualize
    are masses of refined metals beaten into submission. Many thanks!!

(This question inspired by 232's grenaded mill.)

Re: Master Rod?

The animation in the upper right of this link might help.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radial_engine

Comment

I should have wiki'd! Thanks!

Comment

I have a copy of AF 52-12 May 1953, Powerplant Maintenance for Reciprocating engines
        If you would like to borrow it or look at it at Reno this year, let me know.
        Ken

Comment

"Master Rod"

What a great name for a round-engine unlimited!

Comment

Best book ever to learn round engines is:
            "R2800: Pratt and Whitneys Dependable Masterpeice".
            By Graham White.
            You will be an expert when you are done reading it.

The early parts read like a mystery thriller as they struggle to make a reliable engine. Very fascinating for a gearhead.
            Haven't seen my copy in years since people keep borrowing it.

(Note the "Sidewinder" version of the R2800 on the cover).
            Tom Johnson,
            Aviation Insurance Broker / Yak 50 Owner
            www.airpowerinsurance.com

Comment

Graham White authored another book,which I consider to be the most comprehensive on the subject-"Allied Aircraft Piston Engines Of World War II". That's a mouthful! Seriously,this book covers design,developement and installations. I have read it more than once and still use it for reference. (I no longer sleep with it) You can still find it online.

Comment

That book Allied Aircraft Piston Engines of WW II is a great book. Some crazy ideas in there.Highly recommend it.

B2

Comment

its just like a helicopter...

a whole bunch of loosely connected stuff connected to one part that could fail at any second causing the whole thing to fail abruptly...
                  im a merlin or jet type myself.

Comment

Read this book,

Comment

Allied Piston Engines is a good book.
                      I especially liked the part about the Merlins on the P-38. Yep.

I have the R4360 book as well, but didn't like it as much as the R2800 book. However there are some fantastic photos in there of the machine processes.

Another great read is Art Vance' P51 Owners Manual. Got a copy before Art's accident (the last one). I Scanned it, wish I could post it for download. But would need the Family's OK.

Tj
                      Tom Johnson,
                      Aviation Insurance Broker / Yak 50 Owner
                      www.airpowerinsurance.com

Comment

I think the advantage of the radial was that being air cooled they were alot tougher than the water cooled inlines. One well placed bullet would release the coolant from a Merlin and that was the end of that engine/plane.
                        Radials can also fit alot of cylinders (cubic inches) in a compact space.

Merlins lead to a more stream lined plane and something like an Aircobra with the engine behind the pilot was even better.

Comment

actually...

Originally posted by tjyak50
                          Allied Piston Engines is a good book.
                          I especially liked the part about the Merlins on the P-38. Yep.

I have the R4360 book as well, but didn't like it as much as the R2800 book. However there are some fantastic photos in there of the machine processes.

Another great read is Art Vance' P51 Owners Manual. Got a copy before Art's accident (the last one). I Scanned it, wish I could post it for download. But would need the Family's OK.

Tj
                          the brits did convert one to merlins...I don't know if it ever flew but the RR Heritage Trust books have a picture of it on a test stand.

Comment

I have all three of Graham White's books and the are all well worth reading, my favorite is the R-2800 book but all are very well done and can keep a gearhead occupied and interested for quite a while.
                            John

Comment

I agree - Graham White's books were very interesting, especially the R-2800 book. I am still amazed what the Pratt & Whitney guys were able to accomplish in the days before electronic calculators and computers!

I attached a picture of the paperweight on my desk. I was told its from a P&W 1830. (Maybe some of the motorheads can confirm that) It wasnt until I actually saw the master rod that all the lights went on in my head and everything clicked and I actually understood how the crank and rods interacted.

Ward
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X