September Fury Fireworks!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• September Fury Fireworks!

Of course the "fireworks" in the title is a play on the 4th of July and the fact that the 3350 made some of its own fireworks last year.

Well, a happy 4th of July from the September Pops team. Mike Brown gave the OK to share some footage from Reno 2007. This is a very rough cut of the cockpit footage from the Gold Race in 2007. Shows takeoff, form up, start, and much of the race, leading up to the blow up.

It wasn't intentional, but the audio gets cut off during the mayday sequence. I'll see if I can't persuade crew videographer Jason Schillereff to make a better cut with all the audio and such. It makes some really interesting noises when the engine lets go. You'll also notice the vibration causes the focus ring on the camera to slip...

Well, enjoy the ride along in 232!

Cockpit footage from September Fury at the Reno 2007 air races. Includes mayday footage when engine gave out. The vibration loosened the focus ring on the ca...

Michael
    Last edited by Mluvara; 07-03-2008, 09:47 PM.

Re: September Fury Fireworks!

Wow... hard to tell just how rough things are up there when viewing from the ground!

Major brass one's on Michael for sure!

Thanks to Jason for getting the shot!

Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar
      Wow... hard to tell just how rough things are up there when viewing from the ground!

Major brass one's on Michael for sure!

Thanks to Jason for getting the shot!

I'll take the discredit for the poor editing. When I rendered it, the audio cut off on the last section. The video was shot with a small lipstick camera that records to an SD card and came out pretty good. I had it on loan at Reno and threw it in the cockpit for several flights.

The camera was mounted on a rubber isolated bracket and certainly was moving around when things got bad. It was obviously magnified because of the bracket and when Mike rolled the canopy back, it got worse too. But, the engine kept making power on the front row, so he kept the power on until he had the runway made.

I'm sure we can get Jason to make a nicer edit <hint>

Michael
      Last edited by Mluvara; 07-03-2008, 11:16 PM.

Comment

Happy Birthday

Happy Birthday USA !

Holy smoke Michael that was very interesting ! Did the sound system brakeup up at the end ?

Here is also a good RENO vid to celebrate it with;

Reno Air Races 2007. The mighty unlimiteds set to the music of Richard Rodgers "Peleliu".This is a compilation of shots from qualifying thru the maydays of S...
        Last edited by First time Juke; 07-04-2008, 04:15 AM.
        http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Comment

I've always wondered if he had any power left after the engine went South...

And the view out the canopy...that's a different perspective...and you can really get a feel for just how low and fast they are going.

Thanks for sharing,

Lonnie

Comment

I really don´t mind about the lack of sound at the final mayday.
            The sound of the engine accelerating at down the chute is amazing,
            it puts chicken skin on me seeing the floor passing so near, so fast.
            I raise my hat to all those race pilots.
            Thank you for posting that video Mluvara.

Comment

Sweet....

I'm at that point in the year where i am watching old re-run Youtube Videos.

Hotel reservations done.
              Rent-a-Car ready,
              Called the FBO to reserve parking (they said not necessary this year)
              Cash being stockpiled....
              Tom Johnson,
              Aviation Insurance Broker / Yak 50 Owner
              www.airpowerinsurance.com

Comment

Originally posted by MMPerk
                I've always wondered if he had any power left after the engine went South...

Lonnie

.. SOON Grasshopper.. Very soon!
                Tom Johnson,
                Aviation Insurance Broker / Yak 50 Owner
                www.airpowerinsurance.com

Comment

Jason was kind enough to put together a compilation of the last lap with
                  sound.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Michael

Comment

HOLY ****!!!!!

Comment

I am having a senior moment...what exactly let go in 232's engine?
                      Nice editing job....

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote Chris
                        I am having a senior moment...what exactly let go in 232's engine?
                        Nice editing job....
                        Cylinder popped in the rear row.

Michael

Comment

Thanks! Amazing job of getting the plane down...IIRC, in aircraft mechanics school oh so many years ago, they told stories of cylinders actually being blown clear of the block when a pilot came down from high altitude with the high boost on, when those controls were manual...
                          I look forward to seeing 232 fly again!

Comment

Originally posted by Mluvara
                            Cylinder popped in the rear row.

Michael

Wasn't it the master rod cylinder, at that? Meaning that once it went, the whole row was trashed probably in a few turns of the crankshaft. I've never seen the results of what happens personally, but in looking at cutaways of radials this scenario would be my guess: If the master rod breaks the bottom end of the rod becomes free to rotate on its crank journal, so all the articulated rods that attach to it are no longer held in alignment, and their pistons get pulled toward bottom dead center.... whereupon the crank counterweight comes around and bashes the cr*p out of each piston skirt in turn, breaks each articulated rod, and flings the piston back up to the top of the cylinder. :-/

Comment

Originally posted by 440_Magnum
                              Wasn't it the master rod cylinder, at that? Meaning that once it went, the whole row was trashed probably in a few turns of the crankshaft. I've never seen the results of what happens personally, but in looking at cutaways of radials this scenario would be my guess: If the master rod breaks the bottom end of the rod becomes free to rotate on its crank journal, so all the articulated rods that attach to it are no longer held in alignment, and their pistons get pulled toward bottom dead center.... whereupon the crank counterweight comes around and bashes the cr*p out of each piston skirt in turn, breaks each articulated rod, and flings the piston back up to the top of the cylinder. :-/
                              I think your description sums up the results quite appropriately! Lots of metal pieces.

Michael

Comment

Working...
                              X