My Next Camera... 2 questions..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Next Camera... 2 questions..

A few years ago I was so inspired by the photography here that I went out and got a Canon 350D and a sigma 70-200 2.8 and a 28-70 2.8. The camera takes great pictures and the Lenses are great for what I do. All recommended to me by a friend who works with Getty Images.

First, I would like to add a wide angle lens.. 17-XX and get as close to 2.8 as I can afford. I was using my dad's 18mm and was not impressed with it in the sense that it was not all that wide. SInce the 350D has a 1.6 multiplying on the lens so that lens is really 28.8 and so not really WIDE. (is that correct?)

So, do I get a lens that is more like 10-20mm to be able to get that wide look? I think 14mm is fisheye?

Secondly, I would like to get another camera since my 350D has about 60K shots on it. I was going to get the new 40D as a step up but with the lens multiplier, would it be better to get an older DSLR that will have a full range ?

Thanks

Jeff
    Last edited by Jeff E; 06-24-2008, 11:05 PM.

Re: My Next Camera... 2 questions..

I use the EF-S 10-22mm for the wide angle stuff. It's in the $600-$700 range, and only fits 1.6 crop bodies. It won't fit on anything in the 1D class, and it won't fit on a 5D. For a non-L lense it's pretty good. I don't use it a lot though.

Comment

Thanks for the reply...

SO there is a difference when a lens will fit a 1.6 crop and those that are on the 5d? I was wondering about that.

Thanks

Jeff E

Comment

Canon has a few EF-S lenses. These will only fit on 1.6 crop bodies, nothing else, not even EOS film cameras.

If it is a regular EF lense, it will fit any EOS camera ever made, film or digital, 1.6, 1.3 crop, full frame, does not matter.
        Last edited by T. Adams; 06-25-2008, 10:55 AM.

Comment

Jeff, I just recently bought the Tokina AF 11-16mm f/2.8 which like the Canon 10-22mm works for APS-C DSLRs only (1.6 crop). I've not had a whole lot of chance to use it just yet but the few times I have... I'm impressed. I paid $560 for the lens from B&H. One small complaint is the limited zoom range, there really isn't that much difference between 11mm and 16mm.
          As for bodies, the 40D is an outstanding body to have in your arsenal. I had been using the 20D for about 2 years and was very happy with it but when the 40D discount hit a couple weeks ago I couldn't pass it up anymore.
          Last edited by Stevo; 06-25-2008, 02:45 PM.
          Stevo

Blue Thunder Air Racing
          My Photos
          My Ride

Comment

Last year I posted a similar question and received good guidance on selecting my next camera body. I went from the original "Digital Rebel", or 300D to a 40D. I am very pleased with the 40D, the increased buffer is truly wonderful. I lost a lot of shots to "Busy".

Oh, and the dust shaker does work. I have seen at least one image with dust. When I did another test image to verify that it was still there, it wasn't, so score one for the shaker.

Dan Plunkett

Comment

Cool.. I just found a great price on the 40D body.. Now to sell some studio gear...

Thanks for the Lens recommendation. I will check it out.

Cheers.

Jeff E

Comment

Working...
              X