Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is a Mustang a Mustang - a Bear a Bear ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is a Mustang a Mustang - a Bear a Bear ?

I love reading these good natured debates that seem to get the Bear, Dago, and Strega guys heated up the most...(who is fastest...are the inlines done?..etc..etc..) and the roundies vs inline debate seems to be a constant source of fuel...I LOVE all the racers...no preference...its certain that the big 3350 and 4360s get the power more easily and reliably...but one point that I would like to make is though heavily modified, the Mustang racers seem to be the only ones running the motor/airframe combo they were produced with...not that this is a rule or anything...but to me that means they are still (again modified yes) but still essentially a Mustang...While most of the others such as the Bear , Sea Furies , Yaks are running motors never even intended for them , such as motors designed for airlines or bombers...which to me makes them almost fantasy airplanes...terrific racers...a joy to see and hear...but airframe/motor combos that never existed as their namesakes suggest...again, I know thats not really the debate or relevant to the desired end result (a winning aircraft)...but I figured that point would spark some new talk!!!!....RACE ON !!!!

Re: Is a Mustang a Mustang - a Bear a Bear ?

If there was an inline motor that was as "Bolt-on" (term used lightly!) as the radials were you would see them in Mustangs. There just isn't anything "bigger" then the Griffon or Merlin (we still love you Alison!)

Comment

I have to say,I echo your sentiments,but allow me to go one more-being a bona-fide gearhead/hotrodder for sometime-I just love the hotrod philosophy in practice...bolt the biggest engine you can get on to the chassis of choice. It really is a beautiful thing! I know we practiced it when we were kids,loved it then,love it now!

Comment

That's what makes an Unlimited an Unlimited!

They are the top echelon of the sport, it's why they are talked about them the most, why the rumors fly, why they get the most press, spend the most $$, because they're the fastest, etc. That's what racing is all about - you're doing something with equipment that wasn't meant to be done or designed to do. Nowadays things are designed and made strictly for racing, but originally everything was designed for war, or transportation.

This is what I love about Unlimiteds. The variety spices the event up. Similar to midgets that race at the Chili Bowl. There are no rules, it's run what ya brung! You see home builts with all kinds of powerplants. That is part of the draw of the ULs.

I'm sure someone has thought about bolting up a V-3420 to a Mustang - kind of difficult to get it under the cowling.

Tommy

Comment

Originally posted by realrundell
          I have to say,I echo your sentiments,but allow me to go one more-being a bona-fide gearhead/hotrodder for sometime-I just love the hotrod philosophy in practice...bolt the biggest engine you can get on to the chassis of choice. It really is a beautiful thing! I know we practiced it when we were kids,loved it then,love it now!
          My thoughts exactly. The ultimate Hot Rods!
          "And if they stare, just let them burn their eyes on your moving."

Comment

Originally posted by realrundell
            And I'll bet that's just what the British were thinking when they hot-rodded the Mustang I with the Merlin.... I figure the RAF guys sticking the Merlin in the P51 were probably cut from much the same mold as whoever first stuck a 3350 in a Sea Fury... or whomever re-engines anything, for that matter. Gotta love it!

Oh, my point was.... P51+Merlin also not the orginal design intention!

-mosquito

Comment

Working...
            X