Strega's New Gunslinger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strega's New Gunslinger

The newest pilot to earn his racing certificate (ticket) is Steven Hinton. Stating that he felt like he was in a fish bowl, Steven also said he learned a great deal about flying "The Witch" around the sticks. Fulfilling a dream he has had for many years, Steven is being considered as the next pilot of Strega. When that will take place is something the team, and Steven's father Steve will determine. I had the great fortune to fly with this very talented young pilot. Do not let his boy like appearance fool you, because although he is just 20 years of age, he is proving to a lot of people that he can handle the demands of a race pilot. What follows is a photo essay of sorts, of Steven during PRS, and culminated with a photo mission with Strega and her new handler. I want to give a HUGE thanks to team Strega for giving me the opportunity to photograph "The Witch" and her new pilot. My photo pilot for this mission was Dennis Buehn, piloting Midnight Miss III. Dennis is a very talented T-6 driver, and provided me with many great lighting angles of Strega. So, to Tiger, LD, Dennis, and Steven, thanks for a great ride. The rest of you get to enjoy the sights of this early morning flight.

Dave
    Attached Files

Re: Strega's New Gunslinger

Wow, terrific work. I especially like the first shot. A great angle showing off Strega's lines. I like the vertical bank shot better rotated 90 degrees. Which way was it shot?
    Bill Garnett
    InterstellarDust
    Air Race Fanatic since 1965

Comment

Bill,

The vertical is actually rotated 90 degrees, as I wanted a different look. I find that I can change the angles if I rotate the image to suit my needs. A little thinking ahead when I determine my angles. Just something to change it up. Thank you for the kind words. I was having such a great time during the shoot. Both Steven and Doug Matthews ( The Rebel) made the work process so easy with their precision formation flying. Two really good sticks there. We were flying along in Buehn's T-6 at 210 MPH to make it easier for Steven in Strega, as the Witch can get really nasty at slow speeds.
      There will be a full story on this photo shoot and my conversation with Steven and his PRS experience coming soon.

Dave

Comment

My hats off to Steve Jr. What I would have given to have the chance to not only fly at P51 at his age but have the talent and opportunity to fly one of the fastest ones ever built. The bigger bonus is that he could be racing it in the near future. When I was his age, the only thing I was racing was a bicycle.

Nice photos as well.

Will

Comment

Great pix of "The Kid". A great stick and nice guy. He is slightly remenessent of his uncle Jim....a tad thinner methinks but with that same easy going manner. Thanks Dave.

Comment

Very nice photos...I think it is great to see Steve Jr. flying Strega and even better for our sport. Also just wondering if Steve Sr. was there I haven't herd his name mentioned or seen any photos of him?

Comment

Originally posted by 70Mach1
              Very nice photos...I think it is great to see Steve Jr. flying Strega and even better for our sport. Also just wondering if Steve Sr. was there I haven't herd his name mentioned or seen any photos of him?
              UNFORTUNATELY... Steve SR. was not present to see his son get signed off as an Unlimited Pilot!

I finally got to meet (briefly) with Stevo Saturday afternoon.. man, what a polite.. I'm not going to call him a kid.. he's 20, almost 21.. If someone called me a kid when I was 21, I'd have been insulted.. (though, I think this one has enough respect and grip on reality, he'd take it as a compliment!)

Despite the challenges of last year, with some of the players who have come on board, the sport is looking up like it has not in quite a while...

I heard one RARA official mention something like "the next 25 years and beyond!"

Cool!

Wayne Sagar
              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by paintboy
                Do not let his boy like appearance fool you, because although he is just 20 years of age, he is proving to a lot of people that he can handle the demands of a race pilot.
                Dave
                Geez how the time flies!
                "And if they stare, just let them burn their eyes on your moving."

Comment

Awesome work Dave! Looks like you had a great flight.
                  I like the vertical shot, did you shoot one with the plane and horizon going up?
                  http://www.pbase.com/marauder61
                  http://www.cafepress.com/aaphotography

Comment

Just as a casual observer and fan, on Saturday his line around the course was niiiiiiice! He was'nt at anything near race powers and speeds but flew a nice, smooth, tight, constant course. My humble opinion thinks he will be one to watch as he gains experience.
                    Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                    airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                    thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

What "flavor" Merlin was in the Witch at PRS?

Dyin to know,
                      Tommy

Comment

Originally posted by Leo
                        Just as a casual observer and fan, on Saturday his line around the course was niiiiiiice! He was'nt at anything near race powers and speeds but flew a nice, smooth, tight, constant course. My humble opinion thinks he will be one to watch as he gains experience.
                        Thursdays session involved a lot of Jr. gaining a ton of altitude coming out of the VOS and across home pylon. After a quick discussion on the wing, Friday and Saturdays line looked much much better. He's got a pretty nice line for a, ahem, "rookie".
                        Attached Files
                        You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

Working...
                        X