Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My First Pylon Pictures!!!

Hey there everyone,

I finally made it to the big time!! Thanks to Wayne, Victor, Neal, Ryan, and the many others that have answered my many photography questions over the years. All of your help has really made a big difference in the quality of my pictures. I mean, just look at these pictures I got today at the pylons!!!

A really big thanks to everyone...especially Rob Jones for letting me be a part of his crew.

Lonnie
    Last edited by MMPerk; 06-20-2008, 06:35 PM.

Re: My First Pylon Pictures!!!

SWEET dude! now all you need is some prop blur!!!!!
    Todd Smith

Comment

Even those pics make me envious of you being there and me stuck here in rainy BC. Congrats on making it out to the pylons

Comment

ROFL

It was nice shooting with you Lonnie, I am sure you got good shots of the planes too

Comment

Originally posted by RCoulter
          ROFL

It was nice shooting with you Lonnie, I am sure you got good shots of the planes too
          I hope so, I can see why it takes so long to put anything up, hundreds of pictures to sort through. I learned a lot today...

Lonnie

Ok...I've picked out a few...please let me know what you all think of them...

Last edited by MMPerk; 06-20-2008, 07:11 PM.

Comment

For your first time you did awsome.

Comment

Great shots-thanks for sharing!
              Janis Murphy

Comment

Great job Lonnie, for a "Virgin " those came out great
                Last edited by RCoulter; 06-20-2008, 09:07 PM.

Comment

Great pics!! I'm supposed to be there but work wouldn't let me but my hubby is there having fun towing the sport class I'll be there next year!! Love your pics!! Good job!!

Comment

Many thanks,

Here are a few more...
                    I'm not big on editing my pictures, I just wouldn't know where to begin. And attempts have left me scratching my head. Please feel free to offer advice. The first couple are from Saturday with my Canon and the Sigma 120-400 OS lense that I recently got, and then next two are from the Nikon D3 with the 200-400mm VR lens. A really big thanks to the Nikon guys...that was quite a treat.
                    Canon 40D

Nikon D3

It could be me, but I don't think they look as good uploaded as they do on my monitor. Try the link to the gallery...I swear they look different
                    Last edited by MMPerk; 06-25-2008, 07:45 PM.

Comment

Lonnie, great variety of shot you have there, the second batch look to be a little soft, looks like some pretty heavy crops as well. Did you use "unsharp mask" after you resized them for web?

I had similar issues and realized i was skipping "the" most important step for web post's.....

Really enjoy your coverage

Anthony
                      "dont believe ANYTHING you hear and about HALF of what you see"...................J. Mott 1994

Comment

Great shots. Stay away from the alien mother ship or we won't know who's photos are who's.
                        Lockheed Bob

Comment

Lonnie, I agree with SF's unsharp mask suggestion.. The gallery software, especially if it's downsizing your shots for you, is likely, adding a bit of sharp in one form or another on upload.. the php/sql image programs used in the online gallery software are amazingly adept at doing this completely automated!

I'll say this my friend... I saw a lot of brief looks at your shots in the review window of your camera.. and your tracking/framing abilities are coming dangerously close to getting you onto the "break his arm" category!

First timers sometimes get absolutely nothing of value!

I look forward to watching you work toward perfecting your technique!

You're good... damn good!

Wayne Sagar
                          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

PS.. I guess what I'm really trying to say, the panning and framing of this particular type of subject is probably the hardest part of it.. the rest, can be learned..

Making sense??

Wayne Sagar
                            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

OK.. this is with a double dose of Unsharp... first run at

amount= 282%
                              radius= .02 pix
                              threshold= 0

Then I actually got away with hitting it again with same amount, then faded the second pass to 50%

(this is all in PS7)

Looking at this on my laptop (all I use) I can not really tell if I've sharpened to the point of jaggy... but I don't think so.. which speaks volumes for the base quality of this D3 image!

Hope you didn't mind me tweeking it..

I think we're going to start a bit of a "photo tweek corner" here, somehow.. God... if we could get Victor to do a column!

Anyway.. here you go!

Attached Files
                              Wayne Sagar
                              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Working...
                              X