More access restriction for Reno 2008

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More access restriction for Reno 2008

Sounds like further "public land" restrictions are on the way for Reno 2008. From the 6/20 Reno Gazette Journal:

"BLM to close nearby lands during Reno Air Races

Public land adjacent to and north of the Reno Stead Airport will be closed for safety reasons this year during the Reno Air Races, after three pilots died in the 2007 event, federal officials announced today, the start of a four-day pylon racing seminar.

Reno police and Washoe County sheriff’s deputies will patrol the closed areas to ensure a safety perimeter is maintained within the race course area, according to a news release from Arthur Callan, outdoor recreation planner for the Bureau of Land Management in Carson City."

Re: More access restriction for Reno 2008

I was fortunate to be able to send some time on the fence seeing action up close ,sooo cool. But I always wondered how long it would be before the faa or other agency would restrict access,they have a thing in their regs about flying too close to people and or buildings.The FAA have violated pilots for much less.I can see the need for saftey but I,ll sure miss being able to see the action up close.

Comment

All of this is speculation and posturing. We will know nothing till race week. See you there!

Comment

Originally posted by r_willy
        Reno police and Washoe County sheriff’s deputies will patrol the closed areas to ensure a safety perimeter is maintained within the race course area,

I sure hope "within the race course area" means exactly that.
        _________
        -Matt
        Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

Originally posted by r_willy
          "BLM to close nearby lands during Reno Air Races
          Public land adjacent to and north of the Reno Stead Airport will be closed "
          I don't think this is really anything new. RARA petitions the BLM to close the BLM land every year, at least since 1989 (that I know of). I think I have the petition from that year that was nailed to the fence post at the edge of the BLM parcel along the north perimeter around here somewhere. Just recycling post race... really!

In 89 (the year they tossed us off the east side) I went to the county assessors office to see who owned what. The east side was all BLM or Indian land except for a single parcel half way up the hill. I heard RARA arranged a swap with the indians for land out near Pyramid Lake, but I have not rechecked. Bottom line. it is legally closed for the week, except perhaps for the single private parcel, and that's really too far up the hill for optimum viewing.
          Bill Garnett
          InterstellarDust
          Air Race Fanatic since 1965

Comment

Working...
          X