Ridge Runner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridge Runner

I apologize if this has been addressed before...Is there any chance that Dan Martin would also bring Ridge Runner to be raced by another?...I can see why he wants to run Dago, but it seems a shame such a quick Stang gets parked.

Re: Ridge Runner

It takes alot of work to make RRIII a gold racer. They are putting the effort in Dago this year.

Comment

A: Not many other people fly Ridge Runner.
      That is Dan's airplane.

B: Not many other motors hanging around.

I have flown with Dan in RRIII a few times.
      That airplane hauls ass all day long.
      Tj
      Tom Johnson,
      Aviation Insurance Broker / Yak 50 Owner
      www.airpowerinsurance.com

Comment

Curious... what makes it so fast? I heard the expression "super stocker" the other day... what comprises a super stocker Mustang?
        _________
        -Matt
        Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

I am sure EM could elaborate, but he is probably busy.

Dan has owned that airplane forever.
          Look closely at the sheetmetal and the fairings. Everything is tight and clean. It probably also has been trimmed and tweaked on the tail, flight controls, canopy etc to be super slick.

Throw a (clean) rag down the center of the wing some day.
          It will glide all the way from wingtip to fuselage and pick up speed the whole way.

Its a tight airframe.

Tj
          Tom Johnson,
          Aviation Insurance Broker / Yak 50 Owner
          www.airpowerinsurance.com

Comment

Look at Cloud Dancer in 2006 vs. last year. It was a super stocker in '06 -- low profile canopy, clipped wings, small inlet radiator intake, plus all the usual internal mods and tweaks -- all of which can be changed back to stock, post race.
            Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
            World Speed Record Holder

Comment

Originally posted by MRussell
              Curious... what makes it so fast? I heard the expression "super stocker" the other day... what comprises a super stocker Mustang?
              Clipped wings and a huge motor and all that goes with it such as ADI and spray water.

Comment

Super stocker = no permanent airframe modifications, etc

Ex - Turtle deck on Strega and Dago

I would have a problem with anyone flying RR3 and with my family's Patriarch if such a thing happened. (only other person to fly RR3 since we have owned it is John Crocker)

Anyone have a spare mouse motor?

Anyone have a spare crew?

Anyone have any spare $$$$ ?

Why is it a fast mustang?

Could be a lot of reasons - Our crew guys like Dave and Mike and everyone else keep it clean and very waxed.

It is in reasonable condition sheetmetal wise

Has a good strong motor

Stick actuator - if he's feeling frisky

Stick actuator spends alot of time around mustangs - restoring, repairing, rigging, racing etc. I suppose he might of picked up a few tricks over the years.

The rest ...I would have to kill you if I told you

Comment

While I will miss racing RRIII like crazy, as stated, all the efforts will be put toward getting Dago around the sticks in 2008. The FAA has also made it very difficult to bring a "Super Stocker" to Reno ever again, so I'm guessing the days of the 400+ MPH daily driver are pretty much done. I won't elaborate, but suffice it to say there's an excellent chance that no modified stocker will ever eclipse the 2005 performance of Dan in RRIII.

SA

Comment

Thanks everyone for all the info...Love Ridge Runner...Love Dago...Does anyone know if there are days during the PRS that have more flying than others or if the unlimiteds fly certain days?...I plan to drive over this week for a day or two and just want to be sure there isn't a day that is just ground school...I need the fix of the sound of a screaming unlimited motor!!!

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyrace
                      Thanks everyone for all the info...Love Ridge Runner...Love Dago...Does anyone know if there are days during the PRS that have more flying than others or if the unlimiteds fly certain days?...I plan to drive over this week for a day or two and just want to be sure there isn't a day that is just ground school...I need the fix of the sound of a screaming unlimited motor!!!

I can only make it on saturday, I hope they will still be flying. It will be my sons first trip to see the unlimiteds.
                      Anyone know? I caouldnt find a schedule posted.

Comment

In 2008, 20 + 4 = 1

Comment

We are here in Reno now. We might be leaving as early as friday.

But that is just for Dago Red

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Martin
                            We are here in Reno now. We might be leaving as early as friday.

But that is just for Dago Red
                            Oh man... I'm getting in a day late (and three dollars short) Wednesday eve...

Don't llllllleave!!!!

How bad do we want a photo of Dago and Strega together on the course... or over it...

Pretty bad!!!!!!!

Lap dance at the north hangar???

What's it gonna take to keep you guys there through Sat???

Wayne Sagar
                            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Yes, please dont leave. I can only be there one day and I love Dago Red.
                              Perdy PLease stay till sat afternoon.
                              please
                              please
                              please
                              hehehe

Comment

Working...
                              X