Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Once Upon A Time...

Came across this oldie from the air racing archives recently:

Reno NCAR - Stead Field - Thursday - 9/11/80...

Early morning shot taken from atop the Reserved Grandstands - adjacent the E. entry gate to the pits. I still vividly recall how great it was to see all that aviation color in one place, while enjoying the warmth of the sunlight & feeling quite glad to be there.

Still get that feeling being there, but things seemed alot simpler back then...

DBD
    Attached Files

Re: Once Upon A Time...

great photo bucky, do i spot the bear in the top left corner, white lightning and gary levitz's black P-38, and maybe thats Miss A taxiing in?

Just my quick look at the pic in the southern hemisphere...
    race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

Comment

Originally posted by kiwiracefan
      great photo bucky, do i spot the bear in the top left corner, white lightning and gary levitz's black P-38, and maybe thats Miss A taxiing in?

Just my quick look at the pic in the southern hemisphere...

Thanks, Kiwi. Affirmative on Rare Bear, and Levitz's 'silver' P-38 is parked just ahead of Lefty's White Lightnin' next to the pit crowd line. I 'think' the P-51 spotted out on the ramp facing the sun is #04 GeGe II (Raced by Bill Whittington that year.), but not sure. Looks to have a polished prop & spinner and painted v. dark color- #04 was black w/white trim. (Only other dark painted 51 that year was Clay Klabo's dark green #85 'Fat Cat')

Have a great day! DBD
      Last edited by BuckyD; 06-13-2008, 07:34 AM.

Comment

It didn't just seem simpler back then Bucky, IT WAS! Sure we didn't have the creature comforts back then that the press enjoys today. I'd bet though that few, if any, of us who took advantage of the virtual
        "all access" to the ramp and the course in the 70's and early 80's would consider today's "perks" a fair trade for "loss of access". Don't get me wrong I welcome the free food, the shuttle busses and the porta-potties and yes as our numbers grew restrictions were inevitable. Ah yes, simpler times, atleast we have our memories and photos. Thanks for sharing the both.

Frank

Comment

As just a broke fan, it WAS a lot simpler, cheaper and in many ways more fun then. Definately a much more relaxed setting for the spectator. Nice shot!
          Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
          airplanenutleo@gmail.com
          thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

GREAT photo Bucky! I sat and stared at it for about 20 min. and just reminenced about those days. Man, I miss those times. THANKS for sharing the memories..........
            Last edited by t-dub; 06-13-2008, 10:41 PM.
            "Racefuel, It's not just for breakfast anymore!" http://www.twracefotos.net

Comment

Keep refreshing our memories! Thanks.
              Tony

Comment

Working...
              X