Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Bouncing'-THE BLUES!!!

'Bouncing'-THE BLUES!!!

With the 2008 Air Show season now in full-swing, thought this archive shot might be appropriate & of interest to fans...

Reno/Stead - Thurs. 9/14/00: Acting on an insider's tip for a really GREAT photo op- I scrambled around during the limited time I had available to try locating an optimum shooting location for capturing the opportune moment on film.

The USAF's famous- THUNDERBIRDS F-16 Jet Demonstration Team were travelling to their next scheduled show & wanted to pay a surprise visit to Stead Field, specifically to catch their USN counterparts- THE BLUE ANGELS' F-18s 'napping' grounded on the ramp between performances, with a formation 'bounce' & series of buzz passes. It was a totally successful sortie for the T-BIRDS, much to the delight of all present!

(Worked for me too!) DBD
    Attached Files
    Last edited by BuckyD; 06-09-2008, 02:01 PM.

Re: 'Bouncing'-THE BLUES!!!

Now there's a pic you don't see everyday...thanks for posting that Bucky. Very cool shot.
    Mark Johnson
    Strega Fan since 1997

Comment

I agree -- Great shot, Buck...

Comment

Both teams will do that to each other if they are in the area of the other team. That year if I remember right the Thunderbirds were heading to Cal or Or for a show.

Comment

I forgot about that one. Being a T-Bird fan I absolutely loved it.
          Thanks Bucky

Comment

We must have been sitting pretty close together...I've got one just like it around here somewhere....that was very cool!!!
            Went Fast, Forgot to Turn Left, Saw God!

Comment

Reno/Stead - Thurs. 9/14/08
              September 2008? That day hasn't occured yet... Typo, or did I miss something?

Along with that appearance, there was one other time I can recall that the T-birds were seen at Reno at the same time as the Blues...

It was mid-day in the early to mid 80's (maybe '83, '84 or '85). The Blue Angels were the featured team that year, along with the Snowbirds.

Suddenly the announcer told everyone to look up.

Just ahead and above, the Thunderbirds were passing overhead at that moment, maybe a few to several thousand feet up or more, flying right towards us and heading west. As they reached the field, they shifted to their delta formation and hit their smoke.

Then as they passed high overhead and behind the stands, I watched them kill the smoke, spread out, break up into small groups of 2 or 3 planes each, and continued their flight west to some another airshow.
              Last edited by AirDOGGe; 06-09-2008, 08:49 AM.

Comment

Yes, indeed- the 'Typo Gremlin' strikes again!

Thanks, AirDOGGe, for the heads-up - date corrected!

I'd like to see the ANGELS- 'return the favor' by bouncing the T-BIRDS next time the roles are switched!

As many others, would like to see the RAF RED ARROWS perform at the Reno NCAR one day in the future, when they come again for a USA tour.
                In the meantime, we'll have to put the 'attractor factor' to work towards that end...

DBD

Comment

Working...
                X