Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any chance we'll ever see Rare Bear, Strega, and Dago Red in the same race?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any chance we'll ever see Rare Bear, Strega, and Dago Red in the same race?

I went to Reno in '99 and '00, and I was lucky enough to see Dago and Strega square off in the '99 gold race (Rare Bear couldn't make the gold that year), but in '00 Rare Bear and Strega were both out. If all 3 of these planes were healthy this would be the absolute all time dream race. With Dago and Strega not racing lately it's kind of like going to see a Sugar Ray Leonard in his prime fight some Joe Schmoe off the street.

Re: Any chance we'll ever see Rare Bear, Strega, and Dago Red in the same race?

You seem to be forgetting a couple of teams, that have proven them selves in the past.

Dreadnaught is always a factor
    Ridge Runner camp has been showing well the last few years.
    And dont forget the handfull of up and comming teams that have been working on getting to the show as well.

Most notibly and recently the September Popps camp up in Ione have been working extra hard to challange and win the gold.

And to answer your question

I would say probibly not in the same race, but all there in the same year racing.

Reason being, Thies guys and galls are all so compeditive. They try to out do eachother and them selves for that matter durring quals. They just cannot stand haveing someone ells infront of them durring the heat races.

While I would love to see them all duke it out in the gold on Sunday, I just don't see happining any time soon.

Just my $.02 worth

Wolfee

Comment

"Dreadnaught is always a factor
      Ridge Runner camp has been showing well the last few years.
      And dont forget the handfull of up and comming teams that have been working on getting to the show as well.

Most notibly and recently the September Popps camp up in Ione have been working extra hard to challange and win the gold."

Honestly, can any of these really challenge a healthy Bear, Strega, or Dago? And how many of them have even come close to the qualifying speeds these 3 have laid down?

Comment

reno 2008....

...according to the current entry lists...

Comment

We just might see it happen this year.
          "Racefuel, It's not just for breakfast anymore!" http://www.twracefotos.net

Comment

Ridge runner was ona record setting pace untill her engine (barrowed from the strega camp if memory servs) popped due to bad barrings 2 or 3 years ago.

So yes she can.

As far as September Popps.....

That is yet to be seen, but she is fast.... VERY FAST. If both were healthy for the gold last year who knows what might have happend.

It could have just as easely gone to the Popps camp last year. The Bear was sick all week. 232 was testing just how much she could do with the new wing tips. Just way to many things to list.

As far as a healthy Bear going toe to toe with a healy stang. Who knows.... It has been quite some time sence that has happend. sure would good to see again.

Comment

Originally posted by wolfee
              Ridge runner was ona record setting pace untill her engine (barrowed from the strega camp if memory servs) popped due to bad barrings 2 or 3 years ago.

So yes she can.

As far as September Popps.....

That is yet to be seen, but she is fast.... VERY FAST. If both were healthy for the gold last year who knows what might have happend.

It could have just as easely gone to the Popps camp last year. The Bear was sick all week. 232 was testing just how much she could do with the new wing tips. Just way to many things to list.

As far as a healthy Bear going toe to toe with a healy stang. Who knows.... It has been quite some time sence that has happend. sure would good to see again.
              Just to clarify, 232 is "VERY FAST"! I wouldn't be so bold as to say September Pops is. Although, she can haul the mail. The above quote reads like Pops is the lightning bolt.

Tommy

Comment

Ridge Runner will not be racing. Dan Martin plans on racing Dago Red. Been discussed at the other forum.

Comment

Originally posted by T. Adams
                  Ridge Runner will not be racing. Dan Martin plans on racing Dago Red. Been discussed at the other forum.
                  That's actually the sort of thing Dan doesn't usually like to talk about until a day or so after he's sitting on the ramp in September....

Wayne Sagar
                  "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by marada mx3
                    Just to clarify, 232 is "VERY FAST"! I wouldn't be so bold as to say September Pops is. Although, she can haul the mail. The above quote reads like Pops is the lightning bolt.

Tommy

oh boy....

Did I get my plane names and numbers crossed? I hate when I do that

Comment

Never know till Sunday but over the years I've seen epic races. 1990 Tsunami and the Bear back and forth heart was in my mouth evey minute. 1991 the all Conquering Bear, first followed by Strega, followed by Tsunami at above record speed. So many variables. I just hope next year is safe and fast

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar
                        That's actually the sort of thing Dan doesn't usually like to talk about until a day or so after he's sitting on the ramp in September....

I know we can't count on anything until we are in Reno, and seeing that I'm in Illinois, and Mr. Martin is in California, and he would not know me from a man on the moon, it's pure hearsay and speculation.

I know I'd love to see him win. The speeds he was running in Ridge Runner were amazing.
                        Last edited by T. Adams; 06-07-2008, 08:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by T. Adams
                          I know we can't count on anything until we are in Reno, and seeing that I'm in Illinois, and Mr. Martin is in California, and he would not know me from a man on the moon, it's pure hearsay and speculation.

I know I'd love to see him win. The speeds he was running in Ridge Runner were amazing.
                          Nice news though Tim... I just have experienced Dan's .... "opinions" on letting news regarding him out...

Wayne Sagar
                          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Actually it has been almost a month since we all knew about Dan Martin's intentions!!

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar
                              Nice news though Tim... I just have experienced Dan's .... "opinions" on letting news regarding him out...

Curtis Fowles posted this over at his mustangsmustangs.com site on May 10th.

Well, you can say that you heard it here first! A MustangsMustangs Exclusive Announcement.

Back by popular demand from his faithful fans, sitting in an award winning white, yellow, orange, dk. blue, black with a hint of red P-51 racer, toting along an engine guy who spends 6 months building an engine so this race pilot can blow it up in one week, is a red helmet wearing, P-51 pilot who has had as much oil inside and outside the racer as is in the oil tank, a cow-chasin' legend in P-51 lore, a pilot who has worked on more racers than he has raced, a pit bull in the air, a man who sends shivers of fear down the spines of Sea Fury pilots, a racer who's mantra is win or blow up trying,the only Reno Air Race Unlimited pilot one vowel short of being a Hollywood star, he is the one and only ... ?

I'm sure you have figured it out by now. And yes it is true. He is back and with him is a famed racer that will start a fury of rumors and silly season talk that will not end until race Thursday. You will see him and the P-51 racer at Pylon School (PRS) in June and at the Races in September.
                              Last edited by Lance; 06-08-2008, 09:40 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X