BLUE SKIES - RANDY ACORD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BLUE SKIES - RANDY ACORD

Just thought I'd share a sad note about the recent passing of my Fairbanks friend- Randall Acord, who passed from this earth May 19th. He was a noted WW2 aviator & Alaska bush pilot, historian & charter member & co-founder of Fairbanks' IAAAF museum group.

As one of Ladd Field's USAAF Cold Weather Test Detachment test pilots during WW2- Randy's experiences included test flying the P-38, P-51, and P-40 modified with ski-type landing gear there. One of their two P-51A test aircraft happened to be Gerry Gabe's POLAR BEAR, which was recovered from its' Alaskan mountain crash site and restored back to flying status. Randy got a big kick out of following the news of his old Mustang flying again and turning the Reno pylons to boot!

He & his lovely bride, Marion, (who survives him), will long be remembered as true great Alaskans, who made substantial efforts to further the preservation of Alaskan history- especially its' aviation lore & vintage aircraft.

I was fortunate to have had the honor of enjoying their friendship and hospitality, and sharing in their love of flying and its' history. Randy never ceased to amaze me with his impeccable sense of recall of facts & intricate details- learned from his wealth of personal experience & contacts, -gained over many decades. I'll miss his warm & candid sense of humor, and oh, how I'll miss hearing more of his wonderful stories! BLUE SKIES, Randall!

Here's a news link to Randy's obituary:

Don 'Bucky' Dawson
Working...
X