A Wingman Quiz...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Wingman Quiz...

All right veteran Air Race fans -- Name the year and the airplanes, and the visible pilot...

(Goss and Shawn must stay out for now).

Last edited by wingman; 06-05-2008, 06:35 PM.

Re: A Wingman Quiz...

I'll take a stab at it, Neal...

(L-R): John Dilley's P-51D #19 Lou IV, John Herlihy's -2 Bearcat #98 & Paul Poberezney's Mustang- #100 'Paul I'. Reno '79? Herlihy was at Reno '78 w/this F8F for sure, but don't recall either of these Mustangs there that year. DBD

Comment

RG
      Warlock #75, Steve Ballard, Al "Papa" Goss
      RIP 03/17/10

Comment

Very good, Buck! (And it was indeed 1979). I bet Randy and Shawn had it too...

So now do I have to start excluding you too?

I wonder if anybody besides the four of us knows who raced Mr. P's airplane before he got it...

Neal
        Last edited by wingman; 06-05-2008, 09:24 PM.

Comment

I think Bob Love had it before Mr. P.
          John

Comment

Right again, John -- I'm not having much luck stumping people today..

Comment

Thanks, Neal. Bet Randy & Shawn knew this also. You're right, though- I'll exclude myself from future quizzes. I'll always remember John Herlihy bringing his F8F, because '78-'79 were the first times I got to see a stock Bearcat painted in military colors racing, and Dilley's Lou IV was one of my favorite stocker Stangs, + I was jazzed Mr. P. brought his tall-tailed Mustang to Reno that year & we saw two yellow-nosers together on the ramp (which happened again later, of course, when Cutter brought his 51 to Reno to team up with his pal & partner- J. D.).

My post reply shows my memory's gettin' fuzzy on the edges, however. I did some checking after posting, and got reminded that LOU IV was indeed there at Reno '78. And I'd totally forgotten who raced #19 that year at Reno, and was really surprised by that info.

Hey, Neal (-Without looking it up...)- DO YOU REMEMBER WHO?

Buckmeister

Comment

wasnt it paul Pope for his birthday

Comment

Jimmy -- and I didn't look it up...

How could your memory be getting fuzzy?? It was only thirty years ago, LOL!

Neal
                  Last edited by wingman; 06-05-2008, 10:50 PM.

Comment

OK -- we try another.

What is this? Major bonus points for coming up with the location and year...

Anybody can answer.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by wingman
                      Jimmy -- and I didn't look it up...

How could your memory be getting fuzzy?? It was only thirty years ago, LOL!

Neal
                      'Jimmy' - is indeed correct as- 'one-half' of the answer, Neal!

DBD

Comment

what -- you need a last name too? Or am I, as usual, missing something here? I don't remember anybody else racing it that year.

Maybe I should look it up after all...

Comment

Last photo looks like the radiators for stiletto. But I have no idea where or when. Although I will say location is in a hangar.
                          Dave
                          Dave

Comment

would the second photo be stiletto, and the year would be sometime between 1985 & 1987?
                            race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

Comment

It was Stiletto, but later. In the summer of 1989 I visited the big Air museum in Santa Monica, and got to talking with my friend Bruce Lockwood who was at the time director of the restoration shop. I asked about Stiletto and he just pointed to a door and said to help myself. I do not remember the details, but they had done a bunch of work on the airplane (which had just been sitting for some time) but when they tried to do a ground run it ate its motor, and so was just sitting again.

I've always admired the airplane -- its thoughtful design and high level of workmanship -- and took the opportunity to do a few shots of some of the details that were not visible on the ramp at Reno...

Neal
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X