Jet Class Rules??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jet Class Rules??

Does anybody know if there have been any safety rules or changes made in response to the accident in the jet class last year? I am curious if they feel that the pile up around pylon number 7-8-9 on lap 1 is dangerous enough to make a change. Between the crash one day and another forced off the course later in the week, both times occured in the same area on the first lap.Those jets are cooking around the field so fast and are so closely matched that they end up all together coming around the pylons till they get a couple laps under them to spread out. Just curious if anybody has any info or opinions on the subject. We are praying for a safe event this year. I like the jet class races and hope it won't go away.
    My heart starts beating again in September.

Re: Jet Class Rules??

I believe there was an RGJ article recently in which NCAR said there besides the course changes, there would be additional emphasis on wake turbulence avoidance...

I think everyone, especially NCAR, wants a safe racing year!

Wayne
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

It's been on the news here a fair amount since they annonced the official cause, but mostly a repeat of the original story. They haven't said anything about changes, just, as Wayne said, additional emphasis on wake avoidance, along with statements about the inherent dangers.
      I know that the few minutes of video we took of that race as they came into the start, thru the valley of speed and into 8 the pack was getting bounced around a lot. They were pretty bunched up and my son's comment was "Jeez that looks rough" followed by "Oh, damn".
      But then most of the classes are kinda bunched together on that first go around the pylons until they settle in. The T-6's always scare the heck out of me on the first couple of turns.
      My undestanding on the T-33 exiting at pylon 8 was that it was a minor hydralic control issue common to T-33's. Am I wrong and/or was there another?
      Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
      airplanenutleo@gmail.com
      thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by Leo
        It's been on the news here a fair amount since they annonced the official cause, but mostly a repeat of the original story. They haven't said anything about changes, just, as Wayne said, additional emphasis on wake avoidance, along with statements about the inherent dangers.
        I know that the few minutes of video we took of that race as they came into the start, thru the valley of speed and into 8 the pack was getting bounced around a lot. They were pretty bunched up and my son's comment was "Jeez that looks rough" followed by "Oh, damn".
        But then most of the classes are kinda bunched together on that first go around the pylons until they settle in. The T-6's always scare the heck out of me on the first couple of turns.
        My undestanding on the T-33 exiting at pylon 8 was that it was a minor hydralic control issue common to T-33's. Am I wrong and/or was there another?
        The Viper powered L-29 pulled up off the course right over the far end of the pits right before the L-39 went in. The T-33 had his ailerons lock up, which is a common T-33 problem. That being said, I am not sure I want to see a jet type that has known control lock problems on the course.

Comment

Question to RACE 5. When you say control lock do you mean stick full deflection???
          Thanks for your time. Bill
          Last edited by niki62; 05-21-2008, 07:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by niki62
            Question to RACE 5. When you say control lock do you mean stick full deflection???
            Thanks for your time. Bill
            The way it was explained to me by the crew chief on a T-33 is that in a negative or zero G condition, air bubbles form in the control hydraulics. It will usually lock the control surface in it's postition at the time it happens. The "fix" is to bump the air brake switch which purges the system and restores control.

Comment

Originally posted by Race5
              The way it was explained to me by the crew chief on a T-33 is that in a negative or zero G condition, air bubbles form in the control hydraulics. It will usually lock the control surface in it's postition at the time it happens. The "fix" is to bump the air brake switch which purges the system and restores control.
              not so bad at 15000 feet, sounds a little dicey at 150...

Comment

I was talking with the cessna jet people right when the crash happened and ducked by reflex when the explosion and crash occured....so I didn't see the jet wash effect on the crashing aircraft.....that was across from the sport plane hanger....felt the heat and concussion...instantly you know it's not good....especially with the one racer flying off the course overhead to avoid..........but this happens in all the races...not just the jet class........the unlimiteds have alot of turbulance....sport class....all the way down to the formula class.........it's the effect of speed versus air density of the craft in front of you or all of them....you better be ready or in position to avoid..........
                The main thing with the jet class is that the turbulance is mainly off the aft end of the craft.....swinging a prop puts it out over the whole craft and disapates a certain percentage....you'll get the turbulance from the airframe of a jet....but there is a big difference with the outflow of exhuast out a central point on the tail........you better do your homework to fly in this class..........just my two cents.....
                Went Fast, Forgot to Turn Left, Saw God!

Comment

We were in the valley and when they flew over us they were VERY bunched up, wide on the course and really getting thrown around. When we put the camera down attention was off for a second and I missed the L-29 taking the escape. Still saw too much of the rest.
                  That is the same issue I heard on the T-33. Does seem to me something that would keep me from wanting to race one.
                  Thanks for the clarification Race5.
                  Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                  airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                  thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Working...
                  X