Mr. Awful

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mr. Awful

I saw this Yak in Reno´94, and never found more information about it. Does it has any relation with Mr. Awesome or changed into another racer?.
    Thank you.

(pardon me please for the yellow spot in the pictures, my camera had a deteriorated seal and allowed the sunlight to come into it).
    One of these pics could be posted in the NOSE SHOTS´!!! thread as well.
    Attached Files

Re: Mr. Awful

Yak 11 race 00, Mr. Awful, was owned by Tom Camp and eventually became race 2, Maniyak. Tom raced Mr. Awful/Maniyak from about '94-2002 (I think) before it was sold to Jim Nezgoda and badly damaged during a takeoff accident in Ione, CA. I'm not certain of it's current status.

I'd guess the name was a play on the old super-Yak Mr. Awesome, but no other relation that I know of.

SA

Comment

Tag - Some additional notes to add to Smee's reply:

'Awesome' & 'Awful' are different Yak IIs. Tom Camp's bird (N18AW) first appeared at Reno '90 as #58 Maniyak & retained same identity for '91, '92, & '93 race seasons. At Reno '94, while still undergoing race mods, Tom's yak appeared as Race 00 - Mr. Awful & raced again at Reno '95 as same (although officially entered as Race 0). From Reno '96 - on, Tom Camp raced N18AW again as- MANIYAK as Race #2 until sold.

Hope this info is helpful to you. DBD

Comment

Originally posted by Smee Again
        it was sold to Jim Nezgoda and badly damaged during a takeoff accident in Ione, CA. I'm not certain of it's current status.
        Different airplane...

That airplane is under rebuild and for sale:

Build a website, follow friends, photo album, blog, file storage, email, and get a vanity domain with Zoomshare.

Comment

randy,
          yes, "the ranch", race 17 was wrecked by Jim Nezgoda at reno, but he also owned tom camps old bird and wrecked it at ione.
          bob burns
          ex tow-3, now race 66 crew
          "dont mess with texas"

Comment

Originally posted by tow-3
            randy,
            yes, "the ranch", race 17 was wrecked by Jim Nezgoda at reno, but he also owned tom camps old bird and wrecked it at ione.

On his way to being an ace!
            Red
            chanting...400+

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyD
              Tag - Some additional notes to add to Smee's reply:

'Awesome' & 'Awful' are different Yak IIs. Tom Camp's bird (N18AW) first appeared at Reno '90 as #58 Maniyak & retained same identity for '91, '92, & '93 race seasons. At Reno '94, while still undergoing race mods, Tom's yak appeared as Race 00 - Mr. Awful & raced again at Reno '95 as same (although officially entered as Race 0). From Reno '96 - on, Tom Camp raced N18AW again as- MANIYAK as Race #2 until sold.

Hope this info is helpful to you. DBD
              Oh, I see, Maniyak. Thank you BuckyD . I´m still waiting for your book about unlimiteds!
              Thanks a lot to all of you guys for your kind answers

Comment

Tom raced the "Maiyak" from 1990 to 2000. When we rebuilt her in 94-95, we called her "Mr Awful" until we got the White/red paint job done. We then went back to the "Maniyak" name. Mr Nezgoda crashed the a/c on his first flight with her. She has been rebuilt and is now flying in Arizona.

Hawkeye crew, Race 2 Maniyak

Comment

Hawkeye, will Maniyak come back to the race course in the future?
                  Thank you for your attention.

Comment

I don't think that the current owner has plans to race it. I am working on 2 more R-2000 powered Yak-3U's and the plan is to race them at Reno.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkeye
                      I don't think that the current owner has plans to race it. I am working on 2 more R-2000 powered Yak-3U's and the plan is to race them at Reno.
                      That is a Good News! Any unlimited coming to the race course is a good news. Thankk you

Comment

Working...
                      X