The B's are back!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The B's are back!

Hey everybody in the San Fransisco Bay area.The Collings Foundation arrived today with there gaggle of B's.Not to be confused with BS.
    They will be at Moffet Field today through Tuesday the 21st.
    The have the B-17,B-24,B-25.And for an extra special treat they brought thier P-51B Macon Belle(?).Someone out there in cyberland will correct me if I'm wrong.The flight path both in and out of Moffet is right by my house.The sound of round and the scream of the vee all weekend for me.
    Worth checking out if you haven't done so before.

Brian

Re: The B's are back!

The P-51 is Max Chapman's "Betty Jane."

Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
    World Speed Record Holder

Comment

Thanks for the correction Peashooter ! He just flew over again! Gotta Love that sound.

B2

Comment

Man, am I jealous!
        Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
        airplanenutleo@gmail.com
        thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

They're going to be at Yolo County the first weekend of June... how far away is that? I plan on parking my butt out there the entire weekend!
          Last edited by Stevo; 05-16-2008, 06:04 PM.
          Stevo

Blue Thunder Air Racing
          My Photos
          My Ride

Comment

Anyone know if they will be here in Napa? It made my day to hear the B25 going over last year.

Will

Comment

Not these B's. I heard there was a B-17 through Napa recently giving rides... but I can't recall which it was and when it was there.
              Stevo

Blue Thunder Air Racing
              My Photos
              My Ride

Comment

This afternoon, I was on a bike ride with several friends out near the bay in Mtn. View, not far from the Palo Alto border, when I heard that familiar V-12 sound.

Off in the distance, I saw a P-51 make a northly pass down the length of Moffett's runways, banked left and turned 180 degrees south. On the far side of the base he turned north again, made another pass, then banked left again and flew off to the west.

I started thinking,"Are the bombers due today?" I couldn't recall, but I knew a Mustang was suppose to be with them. Scanning the skies over the south bay showed nothing.

On the way back, just as we were alongside Moffett near the big NASA wind tunnel, an F-18 made a high speed pass in the same direction and did a fast break to the right, heading southeast.

THEN, just as I pulled into my driveway, a B-17 passes overhead from behind.

They're back.

It was a good day.

Last edited by AirDOGGe; 05-16-2008, 06:51 PM.

Comment

Oh, and for those wondering if they are going to be in your neighborhood... take a peek HERE. Cool
                  Stevo

Blue Thunder Air Racing
                  My Photos
                  My Ride

Comment

They will be a part of the City of Richland, WA 50th Anniversary celebration, June 16-18, 2008. Sadly, they will land across the river in Pasco, WA, because , years ago, the powers that be limited the length of the runways at RLD and cannot accommodate them.
                    Betty

Comment

Last year, my little neck of the woods... (Long Beach, WA - Astoria, OR) the foundation did a stop... my neighbor (Beach Boss) on the board, sponsored ALL of their fuel for their one or two day stop.. meaning, he OWNED the fleet for their stay!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guess when that visit took place.....

PYLON SCHOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Frankly, had I known BB was gonna sponsor the fuel, I think I would have canned PRS for the amount of flights I could have taken....

Thanks to the warbird gods that there are folks like the Collings Foundation and my neighbor who make it possible for us to experience these historic warbirds every year!!!!!!

Wayne Sagar
                      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

The B17 "Aluminum Overcast" was just in Medford,Or. I believe the next stop is Portland,Or. Planes are flying up here now that summer is near.(Grants Pass,OR)
                        Lockheed Bob

Comment

Cascade Warbirds is sponsoring her at the Boeing Museum of Flight May 21 to 26. That Sunday will also be Warbird Day at the MOF. Should have all kinds of pretty thingd to see.
                          Betty

Comment

I was stuck at John Wayne airport in Orange County yesterday evening, and was watching arrivals and departures. Saw a beautiful yellow-tailed B-17 (looked like it could have been Fuddy Duddy) taxi out and take off to the north. Maybe heading for the POF show in Chino this weekend?

Made my day.
                            Mark Johnson
                            Strega Fan since 1997

Comment

I took a ride on the EAA's Aluminum Overcast 2 weeks ago in Napa.
                              Very cool. Surprising was the relatively small bomb bay for the size of the plane. Also the quick acceleration of 4800 HP. A great way to spend your Economic Stimulus money

B-17 ride on 05/04/08, Napa, Ca. EAA's Aluminum Overcast. A lot of fun. Do it if they are in a town near you!

Comment

Working...
                              X