lens care

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lens care

just had my 100-400l lens cleaned, is there any way to prevent stuff from collecting inside the lens, some kind of cover or is this the nature of the beast. the local camera repair store has no ideas, they just want the money. neither does canon according to the web site. any help would be appreciated

Re: lens care

Short answer, no.

Comment

Off topic, but I just bought a scope for my 270 and found out they do not come with lens covers........what is the world coming to?

Comment

Originally posted by T. Adams
        Short answer, no.

Question...what about the LensCoats I've seen for that lens?

Lonnie

Comment

Still won't work, dust gets in lenses. Unless it's a huge glob it's nothing to worry about.

Comment

Thank you for the info...

Lonnie

Comment

Some lenses are much worse than others due to component sealing around the telescoping portion of a zoom lens.. Lenses that have internal focus and zoom are far less likekly to get stuff in them..

It's a PITA that has existed since the "first" dslr.. A problem that I did not discover until far into the 2000 races...

I've often wondered if something like the lens protector mentioned above might, at least, help..

A lot of opinions on this but I'm of the mind that the zoom lenses "vaccum" more dust in than any lens changing ever does.. yes, you can get stuff in there when changing but I still think the lion's share of it gets in from tele's..

Personally, I've (sort of) learned to live with it. I carry the "sensor scope" and a sensor sweep brush.. I check at any "clean" chance I get, if there's dust, I clean it off with the static charged brush, replace the lense and hope for the best..

I'd love to hear from anyone with the D300... how the self cleaning vibro thing actually works in field conditions...

Wayne Sagar
              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Working...
              X