Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stead Happenings

Hello to all,

Finally got the ol' pc back up and running. The weather was great this past weekend and while I was out and about my camera spotted a couple of interesting things on the ramp.

I'm sure that you will all recognize the man in the back seat.

And then there is the MB-5, I didn't know what to make of it at first...it's been a 13 year project so far.

Hope you enjoy,

Lonnie

Last edited by MMPerk; 04-28-2008, 10:26 PM.

Re: Stead Happenings

Great pictures! So what was John Penney doing in the Mig-21? Was he getting checked out or doing the check out?

I was wondering if the MB "Frankenstein" would ever get close to flying. That thing has been a loooooooong project.

Comment

I believe that John was doing the checking. He had told us the day before that he would be back to Stead around noon, but I don't recall him saying anything about the MiG. But sure enough right about noon that MiG came screaming by.

When I first saw that MB-5 I just scratched my head. One part of my brain said P-51, and another part laughed at that thought. One thing for sure, that aircraft is big. I was invited to pay them a visit whenever I'm out there and so I'll update progress here for everyone.

Lonnie

Comment

That MIG looks fresh out of the wrapper. Nice.

Comment

I thought I heard the Mig zoomin around.
          Was very busy and ever got to a window fast enough to get clear visual.
          Sure rattles the windows!
          Neat! Did'nt know the MB-5 was at the engine run stage.
          Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
          airplanenutleo@gmail.com
          thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Thanks for posting the pictures!

Does anyone know the purpose of the metal on top of the back seaters canopy?

Comment

The front section houses a mirror system so the back seater can see forward.With the front seat and rear inst. panel blocking his sight this enables him a good view during approaches.It is retractable.

Comment

Which one?
                I think the MB5 is the same around 2005. Here it doesnīt look so big.
                The other photo is a P51G ? in Reno 1984.
                Attached Files

Comment

Whittington's P-51H.
                  Was it the G prop system or something off of another type?
                  airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Leo
                    Whittington's P-51H.
                    Was it the G prop system or something off of another type?
                    I see. First I wrote P-51H (didnīt know it belonged to Don Whittington) then looking the prop I corrected and wrote P-51G, but if you say itīs an H model I cannot say the contrary.

Comment

The Whittington's raced the P-51H in 78, where a broken prop seal caused a mayday that ended with a runway overun and a bent airplane. They were back in 83, with the 5 blade prop but did'nt run all that well.
                      I don't know what the prop was off of. Original? Spitfire? Anyone?
                      The actual G is undergoing restoration by a John Morgan. From what I've read the 5 blade that was on the G (hence your ID) was'nt flown much as it made the plane unstable.
                      airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Leo
                        The Whittington's raced the P-51H in 78, where a broken prop seal caused a mayday that ended with a runway overun and a bent airplane. They were back in 83, with the 5 blade prop but did'nt run all that well.
                        The actual G is undergoing restoration by a John Morgan. From what I've read the 5 blade that was on the G (hence your ID) was'nt flown much as it made the plane unstable.
                        Really canīt help you about where did the 5 prop came from. Thank you for the information; do you know if the actual P-51G had instability problems due to that prop?. Iīll look for more information, youīve started my curiosity.

Comment

Warbirds 27/3 had a great article on the F & G. The original had a Rotol prop that made it handle funny.
                          airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Leo
                            The prop on the Whittingtons H is from the original G project. It was removed for the above stated reason. Weird handling. There is a good write up on both planes in the book "Mustang Survivors". The guy that has the G made the truck driver who was hauling it to the scrapyard pull over and he bought it on the spot. Even had the driver then haul it to his house!

The MB5 is big. That or the guy in the cockpit is really small!
                            Last edited by hm66sk; 04-29-2008, 08:30 PM.
                            "And if they stare, just let them burn their eyes on your moving."

Comment

Originally posted by 2101
                              The front section houses a mirror system so the back seater can see forward.With the front seat and rear inst. panel blocking his sight this enables him a good view during approaches.It is retractable.
                              Thanks!!

Comment

Working...
                              X