Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forum Images - Database: Back...

What a whacko week!

Somewhere about 5:00 AM on Tuesday last week... I could not sleep, woke with a very clear path in mind. The server that we use had become extremely outdated, needed both hardware and software upgrades.. simple..

Get a new one!

Suppose you live in front of a black screen with a bunch of white letters all over the place, achieve all your computer goals via commands like

Code:
     mysql -usite#_user -p####### cryptic_database_name < /home/site#/backupdirectoryname/backupfilename.sql
    Or if you just wanted to change from one folder to another:

Code:
    cd /home/wherever/the/other/place/is/
    If you DID do that stuff all week long for years on end.. and I've watched guys who can navigate around command line on a server faster than I can in windows!

Theeeennnnn, This server migration stuff would be a breeze!!

(hummn.. a week of 12+ hr days and still not done... hummn.. maybe HIRE someone next time????)

Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...

Anyway..

Long story short.. it's been a week!!!

One and a half days worth of posts lost, image archives rescued (phew) much aggravation for all of you... (must be a drag coming here and finding some stupid, varying in content, depending on which backup put in place at the given moment) "WE'RE NOT HERE" message!

Kinda like dialing the same busy number over and over!

Since I've had several "WHIZZ BANG WE'RE BACK" and "AIN'T IT COOL" type messages over the past few days, which then wind up going with the wind when I have to restore to a bit older database... again....

It's sort of embarrassing to come back again and say..

WE GOT 'ER FIXED!

But I think (there I go again.. thinking!)

Had LOT of issues, biggest mistake I made was trying to beat the billing deadline on the old box.. didn't happen, and in trying, I rushed and rushed and rushed some more..

Guess what..

I made a few errors, didn't spot the obvious a couple times and took exasperatingly -FAR- too long to find little problems that, once I pulled my head out of the monitor, (replace word with your choice) stepped back for a moment and "googled" for an answer..

THERE IT WAS!

Anyway....

SPECIAL thanks to all who have been so supportive during the move.. (a few of you threw a few bux my way, which really does ease the pain of having two dedicated servers for one month >2xspendy= MORE_spendy<)

Many of you posted extremely kind and supportive messages both pubic and private (all lost.. or in a database backup that I can't use)

Anyway.. once we get this all dialed,

FOR DOUBLE DOG DOWN SURE DIALED

we'll upgrade the message board software to the latest version..

OH BOY!!! MORE SERVER BS!!!!!!!!!!

my week in pictures

NNNNEEEEEWAAAAYYYY...

New board software is a necessary evil.. lots of more whiz bang stuff on it.. <tease>HOPEFULLY... we're going to be able to offer some of you regulars who have a lot of images to post, some FREE very good gallery space</tease>

I really do think we nailed it this time... Bluffman.. your post that's missing an image.. nothing I can do, it didn't make the trip and I can't even delete the attachment notice!! Best you delete the entire post and do 'er over..

The Message Board WILL accept attachments again.. all that were on the old box on Sunday are over here.. any that were posted since, would not have actually made it into the system (there was a bad, almost impossible >for me, at least< file path involved here due to the server change)

I think I've checked everything.. (there I go again.. gotta stop doing that)

PLEASE not only feel free to email me if you find problems.... PLEASE... LOOK for problems.. I REALLY want to know and more eyes looking means more likely we can track down the bugs quicker..

Next round's on you!

Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"
Working...
X