Name those planes!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Name those planes!

Need some help identifying planes in a picture of mine. Year. is somewhere around 84-85. Fairly certain that the mustang on the left is Miss America.

Sorry for the size.. Thanks!
    Attached Files

Re: Name those planes!

If 85 the Sea Fury could be Dale Clark. Looks bare metal. He ended up upside down at pylon 1 during a heat race. WOW!
    Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
    airplanenutleo@gmail.com
    thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

looks like mustang 102 John Marlin's

Comment

Shawn, do you mean the middle mustang?

Comment

That could be Lloyd Hamilton's Sea Fury Race 16 flown by Art Vance in 85 he was the one that got up side down going around pylon 1, because I ask Art about it when he landed and what he said is watch me next time I'm going to be at flight level 240 out there.

Comment

yes looks like green to me

Comment

upside down at Pylon1 ??????????

Comment

Airracer it might be wally Mcdonnell 106 seafury if it was 1985 or Richard Drury seafury . Shawn

Comment

Could be Hamilton in the pic.
                  In 85 during a heat race that was mostly Furies, I think it was Friday (I'll have to watch the video I took), cold windy and cloudy, Dale got caught in the wake of the planes before him. Got him past 90 degrees, and he did a wicked slip, pulling out just feet from the gtound. That year he was flying a bare metal (not polished) two seat Sea Fury, Nuthin Special #40.
                  The stab covers most of the canopy in the pic so I can't tell for sure if it's him or Hamilton, which had the single canopy. Your right, could be green not metal tho, and Clark only had the red number on the side.
                  Last edited by Leo; 04-16-2008, 07:28 AM.
                  Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                  airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                  thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

I know for sure the pic was taken on Saturday if that helps. Are we all in agreement the the left hand mustang in Miss America?

Comment

Leo i remember that

Comment

Ok campers, given that flyingjibus is certain this is a Saturday shot a
                        search of RARA's database has yielded the following info:

1. The lower left racer can not be #11, as in 1985 Miss America ran in
                        heat 3A where the only Sea Furies were #8 & #15 both with 4 blade
                        props. Again according to the database #11 did not race in 1986.

2. The 1985 heat 3B did not contain a dark painted P-51, as the middle
                        one appears to be, which leaves only heat 3C. Racer #2 is a perfect
                        match for the middle plane. Whether either of the other 51s in this
                        race, nos. 19 & 51 could be the lower racer is very iffy. As for the
                        two Sea Furies in this heat #40's side number was red not white, if
                        my memory serves me, leaving #43 who's markings I do not recall.

3. The only 1986 heat this could possibly be is 3C, as there were no
                        Sea Furies in 3B and only the four bladed #8 & #15 in heat 3A. If
                        this is the race depicted the racers most likely are nos. 10, 2 & 106.
                        Given the lack of detail, due to the distance and shadow, #91 could
                        be the lower racer, just as the middle plane could be #102 while #924
                        might be on the right.

If the racers are not definitely identified by this evening I will delve into the NAG Rag morgue, which for these heats would contain individual lap speeds which may help decern if any three of the potential suspects ran as a pack.

Frank

Comment

the middle plane is 102

Comment

Boy did I screw up, the original post clearly said it was either 84 or 85.
                            OK Shawn if you are certain that the middle racer is #102, my first guess also, then the Sea Fury has to be either #40 or #88 and the other P-51 can't be Miss America. If on the other hand that is #11 on the left then the middle plane is #2 while the Sea Fury is #16.

Frank

Comment

And I thought that Abbott & Costello's "Who's On First" was confusing. I'll have 2 beers sorting thi out.
                              Lockheed Bob

Comment

Working...
                              X