SALUTE TO LEFTY & WHITE LIGHTNIN'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SALUTE TO LEFTY & WHITE LIGHTNIN'

One thing's for certain: across the board- air racing fans are unanimous in their passionate appreciation of Lefty Gardner's superlative P-38 flying displays w/White Lightnin' over the years, both- aerobatically & out on the race course during competition.

Here's a mini-gallery photo tribute I'd like to share of Race #13/N25Y photos from the archives for site-goers to enjoy. Hope they bring back fond memories of air races/airshows past. Thanks, Lefty!!! DBD

Photos-top row (L-R):

1. Sun. 9/11/94 - Reno/Stead. 2. Reno '83 - Lefty's qualifying run seen from the W. Chute (V-O-S) - 330.798-mph. 3. Sun. 9/15/85 - Fighter break right - belly angle against a clear blue sky. 4. Sun. 9/23/90 - Aerobatic routine against magnificent cloud backdrop. 5. Reno '81 - On the course- approaching Outer 6 Pylon.

Photos-bottom row (L-R):

1. Fri. 9/16/83 - Lefty turns Outer 6 Pylon - Medallion Race #2 (3rd-pl. @ 320.125-av/mph). 2. Thur. 9/15/83 - #13 takes Outer 6 low & tight during Medallion Race #1 (3rd-pl. @ 324.178-av/mph). 3. Reno '81 - White Lightning goes by the pylon showing the beautiful Lockheed design planform of the P-38. 4. Sun. 9/17/95 - Pylon Judges' Reno '95 group portrait w/their favorite Unlimited racer of choice. (Note: Lefty was ailing w/a very bad flu bug, but graciously accomodated providing his plane & joining in the photo group.) 5. Col. Marvin 'Lefty' Gardner grins for the camera, after exiting N25Y's cockpit w/assist from veteran crewman- Joe Harmon.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by BuckyD; 04-06-2008, 08:21 PM.

Re: SALUTE TO LEFTY & WHITE LIGHTNIN'

Thanks so much for sharing...

Lonnie

Comment

Great photos.Thanks for sharing "Lefty" & "White Lightning" with us.
      Lockheed Bob

Comment

Bucky,
        THese are so very cool... That first pic is very cool... There is no lightening with out some thunderclouds...

I like 'em all...
        Thank you

Jeff

Comment

Nice

Comment

Bucky - Beautiful shots..thanks so much for posting them. I especially like the belly pic. It's not a shot you see very often.

Wonderful tribute to Lefty and Race 13.
            Mark Johnson
            Strega Fan since 1997

Comment

Bucky

I just wanted to echo the others coments..thanks for posting all of these cool shots!!
              Red
              chanting...400+

Comment

Bucky,
                I love ya man
                THanks

found this on youtube, its a new posting of WL, nice vid for a youtube clip.

Lefty Gardner's P-38 White Lightning at the Minter Field.CA. airshow 1996.

Comment

Tight and low is awesome.

Comment

AWESOME, TOTALLY AWESOME!!! there's not a more graceful plane or pilot than those two.......
                    "Racefuel, It's not just for breakfast anymore!" http://www.twracefotos.net

Comment

Thanks Bucky, We miss Lefty and #13 The shots are great.
                      John

Comment

I remember a pitcure in a air classics mag from the 70's of Lefty on top
                        of the wing looking down at the camera man.About 2 to 3 feet in from
                        the tip was a HUGE dent in the leading edge of the wing! I remember it
                        was reported he hit a FENCE POST! Now that is low!Also we remember
                        the filler time he put in just doing passes before the gold race,sure beats
                        seeing cars trying the same thing.Ecept when they crash into one another like last year! Sure miss Lefty.Also thank you Bucky for sharing
                        the photos also. thanks again!!!

Bill
                        Last edited by niki62; 04-07-2008, 06:55 PM.

Comment

And several times there was brush hanging from the tip light.
                          I was once at outer four when Lefty was doing quali runs. He went by so low you got peppered with twigs, sand and pebbles. WOW!
                          I love that first shot Bucky! The clouds, sun and shadows. I think I found the subject for my next painting...
                          Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                          airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                          thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

I hope these pictures aren't to old and grainy for you all but they show White Lightning from a different perspective....the inside looking out !!! Apparently, White Lightning had brethren of the same hue and color - like White Wildcat and White Corsair !!!

Steve Guilford

Comment

Neat!
                              The old CAF house colors.
                              Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                              airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                              thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Working...
                              X