P-51's almost for free ( Past gold )

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P-51's almost for free ( Past gold )

Ran across a couple of old pictures from the Glendale "Grand Central Air Terminal". One (late 1940's) of a B-17 that ran off the end of the runway into the river bed, and the second is from 1953 with war birds parked everywhere. A P-51 could have been had for a little more than hauling it away. Looks like most of the control surfaces, rudders, props etc have been removed already. Runway was destroyed in 1959 but the main terminal building is still standing.

Had we known then what we know now $$$.

Fun pics, hope you enjoy.

Cloudchaser427 ;~)

Re: P-51's almost for free ( Past gold )

good one cloudchaser nice picks of yesteryear a few B 25s and a DC 3 to be had with the mustangs by the look as well
    thanks for the post

Comment

Circa 1954.... a P51 were going for " $1500 clams".

This was a quote from a good friend of mine who lived in Los angeles when he was about 8 years old.

This guys dad was working for UAL at the time in LA and was always draging my buddy around the avation "scene".

hummmm

is the true?

Bmarsh

Comment

After looking at the picture of all the P-51'S just sitting around out side on the ramp and then finished thinking about all the "What If's" I had to wonder what might have been hiding away inside those big hangars.

Cloudchaser

Comment

Originally posted by Cloudchaser427
          I had to wonder what might have been hiding away inside those big hangars.

Cloudchaser
          That's where they locked up the "valuable" stuff.

Isn't that nose in the right side of the picture a DC-2? Just doesn't look right for a DC-3.
          Last edited by Skyracer; 04-03-2008, 12:42 PM.

Comment

Awsome! Thanks for posting.
            Tony

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Marsh
              Circa 1954.... a P51 were going for " $1500 clams".

This was a quote from a good friend of mine who lived in Los angeles when he was about 8 years old.

This guys dad was working for UAL at the time in LA and was always draging my buddy around the avation "scene".

hummmm

is the true?

Bmarsh
              What's $1500.00 early 50's dollars today? Hindsight is ALWAYS 20-20.
              "And if they stare, just let them burn their eyes on your moving."

Comment

Originally posted by hm66sk
                What's $1500.00 early 50's dollars today? Hindsight is ALWAYS 20-20.
                I was curious too...
                According to this web site:

The following form adjusts any given amount of money for inflation, according to the Consumer Price Index, from 1800 to 2022. Enjoy!

$1500 in 1950 is about $12,917 in 2007

Comment

One last dollar figure about P51s...... my buddys dad said that mustangs were purchased (or cost to build) was $55,000 in 1940 dollars.

Again is this valid?

Bmarsh

Comment

WE paid for those once . Why should we pay again? (same with eveything else in the boneyard) and dont give any B.S. about its for our freedom .

The mafia has nothing on Uncle Sam when it comes to extortion

Comment

At the end of WWII, Paul Mantz purchased what became known as the "Wold's third largest air Force". If I remember correctly, I read a while back in one of the magazines, it was for something like $100/engine. He sold the gas in the planes for more then the purchase price of the planes. He kept -2- Mustangs for racing, some for movie work, and sold the rest for scrap.

Kenn
                      May all your bent wings be F2G Corsairs!

Comment

Working...
                      X