40D Focus Problems?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 40D Focus Problems?

OK, just when I decide to get the 40D, I find a thread on another site about 40D focus problems!

Now, my question is to Tim, but to any other 40D users. Have you seen any indication of an AF problem. As I understand the problem, it involves difficulty locking up, or maintaining lock on images with low contrast. Also seen complaints about "back focus", or focusing on the wrong thing.

I know Tim reads the other site, which is why I am asking him.

There is a certain percentage of users that are not satisfied with anything. Is this a real problem or not. I know the photographers on this board are taking pictures in the same environment, of the same material as I am, and I respect their body of work.
    So whats up?

Dan Plunkett

Re: 40D Focus Problems?

Dear Dan,

Don't let posters on xxreview get you down. I'm no Tim Adams, or Alien for that matter, but I can tell you a lot of the folks posting on Phil's forum spend their lives microscopically examining their own poorly conceived tests.

There can always be bad individual cameras, but I believe (with the exception of the well documented MkIII problems) most can be fixed by adjusting the nut behind the viewfinder.

Robert Goldman
    No pixels were harmed, honest.

http://www.ignomini.com
    http://www.pbase.com/ignomini

Comment

Originally posted by ignomini
      Dear Dan,

most can be fixed by adjusting the nut behind the viewfinder.

Robert Goldman
      In our case, would that be the "wing nut".
      I know what you mean, but since I do have this resource here, ie a large group of very good photographers that work in the same area as I do, it is worth the effort to pose the question.
      I am probably going the buy the 40d, but part of my due diligence is to drive everybody around me crazy talking about it.

Dan

Comment

All I have done is taken test shots to test focus. There are focus test charts on the net, just google it. All of my cameras have been dead on, and all my lenses. I have not shot anything moving yet. First airshow is 4/18, so I'll know then.

And yes the dpreview forums are full of idiots. The only forum I really trust is the digital forum on www.naturescapes.net.

Comment

Working...
        X