Photo Search: Bear belly lands at mojave

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photo Search: Bear belly lands at mojave

Looking for pictures from when after popping a motor Lyle slid the length of 30 with the gear partially extended at mojave.

Re: Photo Search: Bear belly lands at mojave

YES - Mojave '76: Watched Lyle's expert deadstick & then witnessed the Bear's 'sparky' cruise-by the crowd- riding on it's prop down the taxi-way (saving the a/c from belly-damage) after #77's gear didn't quite fully-extend enuff to lock. Showing the cool-headed experience of a USN carrier pilot - Lyle even had the presence of mind to steer the Bear off to the side before running out of momentum to keep the taxiway clear. Unbelievable!

Veteran aviation Photographer/Historian - Bob Kennedy took the absolute BEST photo I've ever seen of the Bear's wild ride by the fans that day. DBD

Comment

I was there to on Lloyd Hamiltons crew when i was in high school.lyle did
      a great job getting bear down.At the time I remember the talk was a
      broken oil line or faulty clamp. Any other input?

Comment

Well I have heard different reports about the runway that was used.

I am really also curious about how the gear held up to sliding that far on the ankle.

Not to mention that was one of the best paintjobs the airplane ever wore.

Comment

you all see why I insist Lyle should write his memories?! with J. Slack help?

Comment

I was right in front when Lyle set the Bear down. I remember that he pulled up trailing a small stream of white smoke. He brought the Bear around and lined up for a perfect mayday landing. The gear wasn't down all the way and you could see that it wasn't going to fully extend in time. As the Bear settled down the gear slowly folded back up. The prop tips folded under and the tail wheel kept the rear up and if I remember correctly no damage was done to the body. Hopefully these old photos come through. I've got others but I haven't found them yet.
            Mike
            Last edited by Outer6; 06-30-2009, 08:08 PM.

Comment

Very cool, thanks for posting the pix! You can almost hear Lyle cursing in that side shot where he's got his head up so he can see where he's gonna wind up...

Wayne Sagar
              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

OMG!!! #2 is insane!!!! That's how you do it!!!
                You live it through the lens, otherwise your just a waste of film or digital space...
                http://www.pbase.com/marauder61
                http://www.cafepress.com/aaphotography

Comment

I'd love to know the type "tool" used to get that sequence as well!
                  Wayne Sagar
                  "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar
                    "tool"
                    "tool" = Mental = collectively refers to the aspects of intellect and consciousness manifested as combinations of thought, perception, memory, emotion, will and imagination, projected through some one who is gifted!
                    http://www.pbase.com/marauder61
                    http://www.cafepress.com/aaphotography

Comment

Wow great sequence.....thanks for posting!
                      Red
                      chanting...400+

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Archer
                        OMG!!! #2 is insane!!!! That's how you do it!!!
                        You live it through the lens, otherwise your just a waste of film or digital space...
                        I did not get it on film But, I lived it from the timing stand right in front of the stands. The movies in my mind would make you cry, Victor. But since I can not share with images I share with words. I appreciate your photographs for what they are but remember you are there witnessing the story others are living. That was my Dad in that machine, Those were the first blower drives and scavenge section pumps that I had been allowed to do. I still have one half of that twisted shaft in my archives, my dad has tho other half. When the dust settled, all the photogs went home. You guys didn't have to live with the "MAN" and how was he going to resurrect the "Beast". What the heck, is this argument about the perfect prop blur.
                        Last edited by BellCobraIV; 04-15-2008, 01:46 PM.
                        John Slack

Comment

Thanks for sharing those with us!
                          "And if they stare, just let them burn their eyes on your moving."

Comment

John: Tell us about the cowl induction mod. Did it increase MAP? How much was the visibility effected? Thanks, Peas
                            Last edited by Peashooter; 04-19-2008, 04:10 PM.
                            Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
                            World Speed Record Holder

Comment

Hey John I was there too and I have a bunch of photos BUT they are buried in the garage, I will see how stuff I have to move to get them out.

Comment

Working...
                              X