Griffon Fury

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Griffon Fury

GG- your post on Riff Raff needing a Griffon transplant got me thinking (a labrious and slow process my case) that I'd seen something about this somewhere. Digging through my reference books resulted in finding attached (hopefully) photo of the original Hawker Fury prototype. Too bad the Navy types like round engines.

The blueprints are probably still on file. C'mon Brian & Dennis, swapping in 3360s is getting pretty old hat, how about a real fun project.

SMc
    Attached Files

Tempest

isn't that one of the Tempest prototypes ??

Regards
    fred

Comment

Re: Tempest

hi Fred

Possibly, but the source I have (Typhoon and Tempest at War, Reed & Beaumont, 1974) describes it in two places as a Fury prototype. This plane has a bit shorter wingspan, different tail empennage and landing gear than the Tempest. As the Fury was developed from the Tempest, it may just be a shades of gray thing - when does a plane change from being a "development" of one model to a "prototype" for its offsprng? Anyone got more insight?

cheers
      SMc

Originally posted by 52eme
      isn't that one of the Tempest prototypes ??

Regards
      fred

Comment

That is indeed a Fury prototype, the second to fly and the only example with a Griffon. It was later re-engined with a Centaurus, and finally - my favourite - a Napier Sabre. There are numerous 'fantasy' racers I'd love to see and hear, but a Sabre powered Fury, or Sabre powered anything for that matter, is well up the list.

Cheers, Eddie

Comment

Working...
        X