Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QSRA at Moffett/NASA in '87

Video link:

I'll always have a special place in my heart for this bird. In 1977 I was working at Ames in a high school work program, and the area I worked in was the metal-fab shop for the larger test models. I participated in making the 1/2 scale test model for the QSRA, the former being about as big as a large general aviation aircraft.

I don't know if they ever put the QSRA model in a tunnel, but they did run it with real engines on a test-pedestal at the back of the base (same place they tested the VTOL version of the Joint Strike FIghter).

QSRA = Quiet Short-Haul Research. The exhaust cones of the jet engines were flattened out against the wing, and blew over it's top surface and then down over huge curved flaps aimed nearly 90 degrees downward at their trailing edge. The exhaust flow followed the wing/flap surfaces downward and provided for incredible lift!

The video:
    Except for the take-off and landings, it's hard to tell just how slow this thing is moving in the air in the video, on 4 forward-facing jet engines no less (no tilt rotors here). It really looked like the plane was hanging on wires when I saw it fly in person, going so slow and yet being so maneuverable.

The "high-speed" pass isn't very fast, but then the research aircraft had fixed gear, and the flaps were fixed in the down position too if I recall correctly, to save weight and cost.

The landings are the most impressive. Watch how little runway is needed to stop, especially on the second attempt!

Video link:

(NASA photo - re-use is allowed)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by AirDOGGe; 03-11-2008, 10:54 PM.

Re: QSRA at Moffett/NASA in '87

Verry impressive AD.. thanks for the linx!

Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Very cool..do you remember what the speeds were?
      Red
      chanting...400+

Comment

I remember it was circling and making figure-8s at something like 60 knots. REALLY slow for such a large, cargo-style aircraft. Some of the flap-blowing technology from the QSRA project ended up on the C-17.

There's some info about the STOL aircraft and labors at AMEs on this page, including the QSRA: http://history.nasa.gov/SP-3300/ch8.htm

The Quiet Short-Haul Research Aircraft (QSRA) was the last of the STOL transport designs to be carried to flight evaluations by the Ames project office.

A major objective of this development was to achieve STOL performance at the lowest noise levels possible. Wally Deckert, Curt Holzhauser, David Hickey, and Anthony Cook were instrumental in defining the program and in having it approved.

36 This aircraft used upper surface blowing (USB) and attained short-field takeoff and landing performance that ultimately exceeded that of all the competing designs. Modified by Boeing from a deHavilland C-8A Buffalo aircraft, the QSRA featured four jet engines whose exhaust was directed over the upper surface of the wing and curved flaps. Through the Coanda effect, a portion of the propulsive force was deflected into propulsive lift while lift was further augmented by increased circulation associated with the high-velocity exhaust air flowing over the wing.

Noise levels of 90 EPNdB (equivalent perceived noise) at a sideline of 500 feet were obtained, the lowest achieved for any jet STOL transport design. The aircraft's noise footprint was substantially smaller than that of a comparable conventional jet transport. The QSRA further demonstrated its STOL performance by operating aboard the aircraft carrier U.S.S. Kitty Hawk without a need for catapult launch or landing arresting gear.

There is a photo of the model I worked on mounted on the test pedestal that I have seen online before on a NASA history site , but I can't re-locate it. I'll post it if I see it again.

EDIT: Here it is...

Last edited by AirDOGGe; 03-12-2008, 11:17 AM.

Comment

Was that a modified Caribou?

Comment

Originally posted by supercub
            Was that a modified Caribou?

Comment

I wish there was GOOD video of the C-17 LAPES w/ 54,000lb. 'tub' on Rogers Dry Lake! You can see the engine efflux blowing out and away from the flaps! It' very cool! And, it's fairly quiet! At least some of the technologies have been put to use. I remember the AMST program in the 70's with both upper surface blown (Boeing) and lower surface blown (McD/Douglas) flaps. Cool thread......

Comment

Working...
              X