Road Trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Road Trip

I will be driving to San Diego in a couple of weeks. I want to make stops at as many Warbird museums or facilities on my way to and from. My overall trip will be about three weeks, with one week spent in Hawaii. What are some of the "must see" places on the I-5 corridor?
    Betty

Re: Road Trip

Although it's not off I-5 directly, I really enjoyed Castle Air Museum. Lot's of cool stuff and if you are there on the weekend they have some open cockpits/cabins.

Check it out here...

Cal.net connects you to the world! We provide internet to urban and rural customers in the Sierra Foothills and Central Valley that other providers can’t serve.

Comment

Betty, this isn't on I-5. But while in Hawaii make sure to check out the Pacific Air Museum at Pearl Harbor. And take lots of pictures.

Enjoy,

Dave
      Dave

Comment

Originally posted by ShermB
        Wha are some of the "must see" places on the I-5 corridor?
        Betty
        Again, not directly on I-5, but my map shows it to be about 25 miles. That would be the "Planes of Fame Museum". A definite must see.

I make a yearly trip from Washington to Sun City Arizona, to see my Dad, and get a little sun. Shoot a little baseball also. I am sorry to say how many trips I made before I looked at a map, and realized I was about 10 miles away. So, now I schedule it.

Dan Plunkett

Comment

The AeroSpace Museum in San Diego at Balboa park, its right of the 5 and worth the stop.
          Last edited by mjragan; 03-08-2008, 01:43 PM.

Comment

If you transition to State Route 99 at the north end of the San Jauquin Valley, you can pick up the Castle Museum, Minter AirField Museum,and,
            if you cross the mountains on State Route 58, you can pick-up Mojave Airport, the Edwards Museum and Palmdale's Blackbird Airpark. Crossing the Antelope Valley over to Victorville, you can pick up I-15, and, with a short side trip (but MORE than worth it!), you can take in the Air Museum-Planes of Fame! Lots of places between up there and down here. Regardless of your route Miss Betty, be safe and have a good trip!
            Eddie's Airplane Patch-Birthplace of the "Sonic Boom".......and I'm reminded every friggin' day!

Comment

This one might be on your route going or coming...Palm Springs. Museum is at the airport.

Also, not too far of I-5 (yuk, yuk) is the Paper Airplane Museum on Maui (if it is still there). Don't be put off by the name, it is quite a good museum but it is mostly on paper (pictures, articles, etc.). Well worth the time.

Comment

Thanks, guys, for all the good suggestions and directions to museums, etc.
                Looking forward to the adventure.
                Betty

Comment

Originally posted by ShermB
                  Thanks, guys, for all the good suggestions and directions to museums, etc.
                  Looking forward to the adventure.
                  Betty
                  Hey Betty... have fun on your trip!! There's prolly more than one or two folks who don't really have museums down that way who would probably more than welcome you to stop by ya'know....

The Auburn contingent would be one I'd wager on.. the other might be the Whiteside component???

Just a thought...

Dan Martin???

Wayne Sagar
                  "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Hey Betty,
                    In sacramento there is an air museum at the formerly Mc Clellan AFB, you can see it on google earth. maybe 15 planes there. And its in a great part of town

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Bob
                      Hey Betty,
                      In sacramento there is an air museum at the formerly Mc Clellan AFB, you can see it on google earth. maybe 15 planes there. And its in a great part of town

Bob
                      I'll second the recco for the McClellan museum. It's now called the Aerospace Museum of California. Very cool place. Here's a link:

Mark Johnson
                      Strega Fan since 1997

Comment

If you get anywhere near it, a side trip to Planes of Fame is a must. My yearly trip to Oceanside always allowed a day there.
                        Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                        airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                        thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

The Hiller Museum is another museum of interest should you be in the San Francisco area.

Comment

Working...
                          X