Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MOVED: What ever happened to the Dyna Cam engine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MOVED: What ever happened to the Dyna Cam engine?

Sorry if this has been discussed recently and I've just missed it, but I haven't heard anything about the Dyna Cam engine in some time. It seemed like a pretty neat engine, but since it's kind of fallen off the radar (at least my radar), I reckon it must not've been as good as I'd thought.

Does anyone know about the engine I'm talking about?

Gary

Re: What ever happened to the Dyna Cam engine?

I do. 8 cylinders, few moving parts, very small frontal area. Thought it was a really cool idea. As I remember it was being tested in a Bonanza. Was a big deal in Air Progress for awhile then just dissappeared.
    Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
    airplanenutleo@gmail.com
    thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Back in the late 90's, I had called them about purchasing one, but all they wanted to do is make me a dealer for them. I told 'em I didn't want to sell their engine, I wanted to buy their engine.

After that, I wasn't interested in dealing with those folks, but the engine always intrigued me.

Gary

Comment

Looks like these guys own the technology, but I can't find much about the engine on their web site:

Jul 6, 2006
        PORTLAND, Ore., July 6 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Axial Vector™ Engine Corporation (OTC Bulletin Board: AXVC - News) announced today that on May 16, 2006, Axial Vector™ Engine Corporation signed a Settlement Agreement and Mutual Release with Dennis Palmer and Patricia Wilks resolving the litigation filed by Axial Vector™ Engine Corporation against Palmer and Wilks over the purchase of the Dyna-Cam assets.

The settlement involved a confirmation by Palmer and Wilks of the agreements of June 30, 2003 wherein Axial Vector™ acquired all rights, titles, assets and interest to Dyna-Cam Engine Corporation, including related websites and domain names. As part of the agreement, the preliminary injunction granted to Axial Vector™ on November 17, 2005 will remain in place as a permanent injunction by Order of the Federal District Court docketed on June 13, 2006. The injunction permanently bars Palmer and Wilks and others acting in concert with them from:

displaying, controlling, and/ or operation of the website www.dynacam.com or any other domain containing the words "dyna-cam", "dynacam", "Dyna-Cam", or "Dynacam";
        exhibiting any display, product, and advertisement bearing the mark Dyna-Cam, "Dyna-Cam Engine", or "Dyna-Cam Engine Corporation", and
        making, using, selling, marketing, and offering for sale certain products using the name(s) and mark(s) containing the words "dyna-cam", "dynacam", "Dyna-Cam", or Dynacam.
        Dr. Raymond Brouzes, President and CEO of Axial Vector™ Engine Corporation stated, "We are pleased to resolve this matter and remove any cloud over our ownership of the Dyna-Cam engine and its progeny."
        F1 Race 98 & 99

Comment

Nothing on Yahoo Search after 2002 when they were "aggressively seeking capital."

As I recall it was certified by the FAA.

(Ooops, see above!)
          Last edited by Peashooter; 02-25-2008, 04:02 PM.
          Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
          World Speed Record Holder

Comment

Earlier this decade, another company had acquired Dyna-Cam and were going to develop the engine for aircraft AND marine use:

"Princeton Ventures, Inc., was incorporated in the State of Nevada
            on May 10, 2001. The Company had not commenced operations. On
            May 30, 2003, the Company exchanged 37,944,922 shares of its
            common stock for all of the issued and outstanding shares of Aero
            Marine Engine Corp. Aero was formed on December 30, 2002. Aero
            had no operations and was formed to acquire the assets of Dyna-Cam
            Engine Corporation
            . The Company changed its name from Princeton
            Ventures, Inc. to Aero Marine Engine, Inc.

Additionally, on June 30, 2003, the Company acquired the operating
            assets of Dyna-Cam Engine Corp. Dyna-Cam was a development stage
            enterprise developing a unique, axial cam-drive, free piston,
            internal combustion engine. Dyna Cam intended to produce and sell
            the engine primarily for aircraft and marine applications. Dyna-
            Cam had not generated significant revenues at the time of the
            Company's acquisition."

I don't think they were ever able to get together enough money to develop it, and ended up selling it to another outfit (Axial Vector Engine Corp). There was some litigation over the name and some other stuff, with the original Dyna-cam folk losing:

"July 6, 2006
            Axial Vector Engine Corp. said Thursday that is has signed a settlement agreement and mutual release with Dennis Palmer and Patricia Wilks resolving the lawsuit filed by Axial over the purchase of the Dyna-Cam assets.

The agreement was signed May 16, effective June 30. The settlement involved confirmation by Palmer and Wilks of the agreements wherein Axial acquired all rights, titles, assets and interest to Dyna-Cam Engine Corp., including related Web sites and domain names.
            "

AXIAL is using the engine these days to run electrical generators (no expensive FAA certification required). Looks like they dropped the idea of an aviation or marine engine product completely.

Here's their website, which features some flash animations of the powerplant and complete generator package. They use to have more info about the engine, including pictures and drawings, but the site has changed since then:

--------------------------------------------------------

Picture of original Dyna-cam:

Original Dyna-cam specs:

200 HP @ 2000 RPM
            175 HP @ 1600 RPM

650ft.lb torque @ 1200 RPM
            525ft.lb. torque @ 2000 RPM

373 Cubic Inches 265 Lbs Dry Weight

12 Cylinder, 6 Piston 0.40 Lb./Hp-Hr @ Cruise
            3.25" Bore - 3.75" Stroke 0.47 Lb./Hp-Hr @ Full pwr.
            Fuel Injected Dual Ignition or Single
            Type Certificate # 293 13" Diameter x 40" Length

-------------------------------------------------------

This is what Axial Vector's aviation/marine engine looked like before they pulled the pictures and changed the site. I found this image on another site:

http://www.hover.za.pl/pl/silniki.html (scroll down to near bottom of page)

Last edited by AirDOGGe; 02-25-2008, 06:12 PM.

Comment

Wow. I didn't know it turned so ugly. What a shame.

Thanks for the info, y'all.

Gary

Comment

I got their (DynaCam) investor package in the late 80s.

Its already FAA approved engine...

The original design dates back to the early '50s, and was tested/approved back then.

A similar "swash-plate" type engine is used in modern torpedoes.(!)

Glad its still around. Sorry it appears not bound for aircraft.

Wonder what ever happened to their Arrow that had one installed...
                Jerry Beck II
                Director of Photography
                1st. Asst. Director
                Thunder Over Reno

Comment

I remember seeing a short piece on it inside the back cover of Private Pilot magazine in 1982 or 1983. That was the first I'd ever heard of it. I was especially impressed by the fact(oid) that in it's original configuration, a 9-inch diameter by 12-inch long, (IIRC), version powered by steam produced 90 horsepower. (Would that be the Mark 37 steam torpedo, or the one before that?)

I was very disappointed to see that they were pursuing a 400-hp version at the height of the ultralight phenomenon. I still believe that's what broke them. Many's the time I wished that I set aside the money to buy their plastic cutaway demo model.

The next time I heard anything about them was 1993 or 1994 when I saw that they had gotten the 450-hp (?) engine FAA-certified, that it ran without any lubrication for 45 minutes, etc and they were seriously pushing a prospectus for investors. I didn't have any money to invest.

I was sad, but not in the least surprised, to see them go bankrupt.

Comment

I found this: http://www.axialvectorengine.com

See the vids...200 hps in an engine sized 20 x 8.5 inches ?

The smaller engine yields 5 hps in 8x1,5 inches..here I put in on a combat model of 1/12 scale size ( speeds are also hair rising ):
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by First time Juke; 01-15-2009, 02:23 AM.
                    http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Comment

½ size 1000 lbs F8F-2

Just imagine four of those 200 hp engines in a ½ size 1000 lbs F8F-2....( ...or 6 of them souped up with nitrous is a pusher prop racer... 2400 hp easily ).

You could fly safely home with just one engine running ( of four ) with a clutch at the reduction allowing use any engine to turn the prop or all 4 to go fast.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by First time Juke; 01-15-2009, 04:07 AM.

Comment

Another version could be a 2 seater LSA or a Sports Class plane.

500 km/t IAS ( 750 TAS )...about 1330 lbs flyweight.

Structure 2 mm ply + 5 mm balsa + 2 mm ply.

Simple and very light to produce.

Scale pilots are 6 ft 4 in.

200 hp engine is only 64 lbs ( 29 kg ) each so 4 x 64 = 252 lbs.

Attached Files
                        Last edited by First time Juke; 01-15-2009, 02:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Juke

oohhh k

looks like a fun ride for the passenger
                          Last edited by King; 01-15-2009, 08:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Juke

That's a very interesting design. I know there is quite a bit of equipment needed for flight and those 6'4" crew sure take up a lot of space. Where does the fuel for all those powerplants go? What kind of cooling will it use? It's a neat concept, on paper, for sure!

Comment

Originally posted by B52Hfan
                              That's a very interesting design. I know there is quite a bit of equipment needed for flight and those 6'4" crew sure take up a lot of space. Where does the fuel for all those powerplants go? What kind of cooling will it use? It's a neat concept, on paper, for sure!
                              Fuel would be on the wings...cooling like in a Rarebear..air cooling.

Bottom line is that engine that produces 3,4 hp per lbs is somehow overlooked.

The passenger is too much...a bit luggage there instead.

48 cylinders..is a lot...I bet they are expensive to manufacture !

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                              Last edited by First time Juke; 01-16-2009, 04:13 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X