duxford-flying legends

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• duxford-flying legends

Planning a trip to Europe this summer, and the Flying Legends air show at Duxford is on the top of the list of things to see. Has anyone been before? Is the show the same both days? We were thinking of going Friday to see the museum and then Saturday or Sunday to see the show. Anyone have any advice, is this a good plan? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Re: duxford-flying legends

Sorry, no advice for you except that the weather is usually good around that date. I will be going on the Saturday lol

Comment

absolutely go...the Duxford experience is worth the effort (although they seem to fly their aircraft pretty gingerly) stay here if you can http://www.totaltravel.co.uk/travel/...d-inn/details/
      its just a couple of miles to the aerodrome. i stay there every time im over. the last time they had a 4 star chef and the food was amazing. hand written menus every evening. The inn is an old half timbered road house with historical heritage.
      Last edited by JET1; 02-24-2008, 08:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JET1
        absolutely go...the Duxford experience is worth the effort (although they seem to fly their aircraft pretty gingerly
        A rather odd comment, I wonder if you're attending the same airshow?

8 or 9 Spitfires in an aerobatic tailchase, multi-aircraft formation aerobatics, exceptional individual aerobatic displays. Certainly not being flown 'gingerly' compared to the average US warbird display consisting of straight and level 'racetrack' flypasts.

Well worth the trip, I'd say. Friday is also worth a visit, as you get arrivals, practice routines and airtests as well as a chance to look round the museum.

Comment

what can I say...

Originally posted by Mike51
          A rather odd comment, I wonder if you're attending the same airshow?

8 or 9 Spitfires in an aerobatic tailchase, multi-aircraft formation aerobatics, exceptional individual aerobatic displays. Certainly not being flown 'gingerly' compared to the average US warbird display consisting of straight and level 'racetrack' flypasts.

Well worth the trip, I'd say. Friday is also worth a visit, as you get arrivals, practice routines and airtests as well as a chance to look round the museum.
          im a reno race kinda guy

Comment

Originally posted by JET1
            absolutely go...the Duxford experience is worth the effort (although they seem to fly their aircraft pretty gingerly) stay here if you can http://www.totaltravel.co.uk/travel/...d-inn/details/
            its just a couple of miles to the aerodrome. i stay there every time im over. the last time they had a 4 star chef and the food was amazing. hand written menus every evening. The inn is an old half timbered road house with historical heritage.
            We call that a Coaching Inn not a "road house" LOL
            As for the displays They are fairly aerobatic considering the age and rarity of the birds - i'd like to know what power sttings they use in the displays tho

Comment

ah...I C

Originally posted by Paynts
              We call that a Coaching Inn not a "road house" LOL
              As for the displays They are fairly aerobatic considering the age and rarity of the birds - i'd like to know what power sttings they use in the displays tho
              its a great what ever---stop there sometime! I discovered it years ago and have been there 4 times now. its great (except for the ghosts of course!)

Comment

I did the July 2007 Flying Legends show and few other things while I was over there ...
                It was a good show. They had at least 18 Spitfires up for the finale.

July 06 ... Imperial War Museum Duxford and Legends warm up

July 07 ... Flying Legends Air show

July 08 ... American Cemetary Cambridge, Lavingham

July 09 ... Trip into Suffolk looking for old airfields. Found Flixton and Thorpe Abbotts

July 11 ... London, Imperial War Museum London

July 12 ... RAF Museum Hendon
                Jeff Loewe
                www.jlofoto.com

Comment

That was the best warbird show I have ever seen. I will never forget the formation flyby's. Getting all those Merlins started at once was a surreal experiance for me. It is closest I will ever be to witnessing a real flight leaving for a mission almost 70 years ago.

I would not use the word gingerly to describe any part of the show. Those europeans definetly know how to wring those birds out!

Steve

Comment

Working...
                  X