Hey Wayne...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey Wayne...

An experiment -- to see if you ever enabled 900 pixel images...

I guess you did.

Neal
    Last edited by wingman; 02-23-2008, 11:22 PM.

Re: Hey Wayne...

Big is good (she said)

Comment

Neal,
      What lens and settings did you use for those pictures? In the quest for the perfect picture, I'm wanting to buy more stuff and I'm always respecting your opinions.
      Ken

BTW, You gonna make it down for PRS?
      Last edited by Ken from PG; 02-24-2008, 01:15 AM.

Comment

DANG Neal!!!! That shot of Cabanas is spectacular
        "dont believe ANYTHING you hear and about HALF of what you see"...................J. Mott 1994

Comment

Wingman..
          Great shots.. and nice size for the bandwidth. What setting did you use?

Thanks

Jeff E

Comment

Originally posted by wingman
            An experiment -- to see if you ever enabled 900 pixel images... <..snip..> I guess you did.
            Neal, any size shot has always been enabled with embedded shots... Uploaded shots (those that display with the thumbnails) have been reset to 900...

My initial thoughts with the limit was to keep the page layout from blowing out... that went out the window when everyone went "photobucket" or whatever other of the myriad of services out there.. Layout, scmhyout... there are ways to push down the size displayed to keep my "precious" layout intact but since all you guys like em big, what to heck!

Another concern, initially, was that when I travelled, dialup was usually what I was forced to use and it took FOREVER for forum pages to load..

Last time I had to access via dialup.. I can't hardly remember! Almost everywhere, you can find a wireless network these days...

Rock on.. nice photos!

Wayne Sagar
            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Wayne, how does one up their limit of space to post pics?

Thanks

JEff E

Comment

Thanks! These days I'm shooting with Nikon D200 and D2X cameras. Almost all pylon stuff with a 300 mm F4 prime lens -- the best pylon shooting lens I've ever had, and I've had a bunch. The lens is pretty pedestrian by Reno press pass standards, but I've always thought that given good quality basic gear, good technique and lots of practice trumps megabuck equipment every time. I remember years ago going to a talk and slide show by an older very well known high-buck professional sports photographer. During question period afterwards some young gal raises her hand to ask what lens and settings he'd used for a particularly impressive shot he'd shown. He pauses for a moment, and says "Well, to tell you the truth I don't really remember. My feeling is that the best setting for great results is always "F8 and be there!"

For the above stuff, ISO speed 160, shutter- preferred auto exposure (where I set shutter speed (to control prop blur) and camera sets aperture), F11 and F13 at 1/200th of a second. I set the machine up for very little in camera sharpening and lower than normal contrast on the theory that I can always add sharpness and contrast in Photoshop later but if the camera didn't get it at Reno I'll never have it. Remember that Reno has great, consistent, but very contrasty light, and airplanes tend to have a lot of very dark and light tones. That's why I decrease in camera contrast -- to try to capture as much highlight and shadow detail as possible so as to have the most good pixels to play with later.

Rather than fancier gear, most folks really need more practice away from Reno! I've spent a good bit of time over the years on roadsides, at local airports and car racing tracks trying to work out what works for me. Trying to learn your gear and technique at Reno is guaranteed heartache...

Ken -- we do hope to make PRS. We have visitors from Europe during that time, but hope to leave them to their own devices for a few days to come down and see everybody.

Jeff -- I did everything the same, except resized to 900 pixels wide rather than 800 as in this shot. Notice I also crop pretty tight, which increases the "Wow" factor considerably. One other trick is also to crop more square, as there is no vertical limit in AAFO -- though if you get very tall the whole image will not fit on the screen...

Glad Y'all like my stuff!

Neal

Last edited by wingman; 02-24-2008, 02:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff E
                  Wayne, how does one up their limit of space to post pics?

Thanks

JEff E
                  Jeff,

The board software is supposed to be set to improve one's rank to a higher level after a certain time limit and or post level.. you've gone way beyond both so it should have promoted you to that level...

It's set like this so someone can't come in and flood the site on their first few days with potentially bad content...

I set you up manually and will look into what's causing it to not do the promotions..

Wayne
                  Wayne Sagar
                  "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Since I'm in a posting mood, and seem to be working through the racing classes, here's one of Skip. Skip seemed to be having a very nice time and was smiling a lot -- even though he was flying a plastic airplane. I think the man just likes to race!

Neal

Comment

Hi Neal,
                      The photos are beautiful Thanks for posting Them,
                      John Clark
                      NAG Editor

Comment

Neal,

You mention setting up the camera with very little contrast and sharp, is this something unique to your Nikon?

One thing i've noticed about your work is that it's very "real" relating to saturation and shadow/highlight. It appears on screen as it would appear in in person. No over PS nonsense. Always great work!!!

Anthony
                        "dont believe ANYTHING you hear and about HALF of what you see"...................J. Mott 1994

Comment

Thanks John and Anthony. As far as I know, all mid-line and higher digital SLRs allow the shooter to adjust all sorts of image parameters, including in-camera sharpening, contrast, saturation of colors, "white balance" to adjust for different kinds of light, and other stuff I can't remember right now. It all can get very complicated (much more so than I want to deal with during a shoot), so I just have worked out a pretty standard set of changes for each type of shooting I do and then work out the details in post-processing. I'm still learning the ins and outs of this digital thing -- I'm by no means an expert but I am working out a system that works for me.

Camera manuals are pretty intimidating these days -- as in 250 or so pages for mine -- but quite necessary if you want to control the machine and get what you want from it...

So, jets anyone? The second shot is from PRS -- thus the back seaters and tanks.

Last edited by wingman; 02-24-2008, 10:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by wingman
                            Since I'm in a posting mood, and seem to be working through the racing classes, here's one of Skip. Skip seemed to be having a very nice time and was smiling a lot -- even though he was flying a plastic airplane. I think the man just likes to race!

Neal
                            Wonderful shot Neal, looks like Mr. Holm was having a good time. And once again he's in the cockpit of Race 4....
                            Mark Johnson
                            Strega Fan since 1997

Comment

TESTING!!! TESTING!!!

Never mind. Didn't work.
                              Last edited by Ken from PG; 02-24-2008, 10:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X