SORCERESS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SORCERESS

I've always wondered what happened and why the bi-plane racer SORCERESS was banned?

richb

Re: SORCERESS

Excellent question. I know the biplane class split in half stock vs racing biplanes and for a while they alternated years at Reno. Then racing biplanes kind of disappeared. Recently some fairly modified planes have been winning. How's that work?
    Bill Garnett
    InterstellarDust
    Air Race Fanatic since 1965

Comment

And wasn't there a Sorceress clone built (maybe never finished) back in the early 70's. Can't remember the details.

Comment

Don Beck's Sorceress is billed as the winningest racing biplane in aviation history. It is now on display in the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center. - Photo taken at Washington - Dulles International (IAD / KIAD) in Virginia, USA on February 12, 2005.

Aviation Photographer and Historian, Bill Larkins, shooting airplanes continually since 1934, will present images and information gathered during his years as an Aviation Photographer.

The Pat Hines/Sid White "Sundancer" #1 and Dave Forbes #22 "Cobra" actually used Midget Mustang fuselages

All Air Racing All the time! Unregistered visitors: this forum is open for your reading enjoyment. We invite you to join so you can enjoy the full features of this system. Including file uploads, event calender, private messages and more. Due to an unmanageable amount of SPAM membership applications, the join process is a few step process. It all makes it secure!
        Last edited by RandyGoss75; 02-15-2008, 04:57 PM.
        Warlock #75, Steve Ballard, Al "Papa" Goss
        RIP 03/17/10

Comment

Originally posted by RandyGoss75
          http://www.airliners.net/photo/Untit...ess/0784449/L/

Aviation Photographer and Historian, Bill Larkins, shooting airplanes continually since 1934, will present images and information gathered during his years as an Aviation Photographer.

The Pat Hines/Sid White "Sundowner" #1 and Dave Forbes #22 "Cobra" actually used Midget Mustang fuselages

http://www.aafo.com/hangartalk/showthread.php?t=2684
          Actually, Sid's plane was called "Sundancer". Just a typo on Randy's part. Then there was also the "Rutan Amsoil Flyer" flown by Dan Mortensen. My fav though was the "White Knight" flown by Don Fairbanks, which was a Knight Twister, although it wasn't in the racing class, it was raced in the sport class........
          Last edited by t-dub; 02-15-2008, 01:45 PM.
          "Racefuel, It's not just for breakfast anymore!" http://www.twracefotos.net

Comment

Thanks T-dub....I fixed it.

No more posting at 0300 for me! LMAO

Bill Warwick's "Hot Canary" was another favorite of mine, that was built around the Thorp T-18

Located in Oshkosh, Wisconsin, the EAA Aviation Museum is a year-round destination to explore world class aviation and aircraft displays and galleries.
            Last edited by RandyGoss75; 02-15-2008, 05:05 PM.
            Warlock #75, Steve Ballard, Al "Papa" Goss
            RIP 03/17/10

Comment

Oh yeah, I almost forgot about the "Hot Canary"! I had a .40 R/C model of that plane years ago (had, because it turned into a "smokin' hole" when I crashed it! LMAO!) I think it was made by Top Flite models? Anyways the full size was a real cool bipe...........
              Last edited by t-dub; 02-15-2008, 06:15 PM.
              "Racefuel, It's not just for breakfast anymore!" http://www.twracefotos.net

Comment

Went to the NASM at Silver Hill a few years ago...Sorceress was the first plane in the line...D.

Comment

Racing Biplane #89 Sorceress was my favorite of the class & always got a thrill watching her race (also saw her on exhibit at NASM). Here's a shot of Don Beck taxiing #89 in at Reno on 9/12/83. Also a portrait of Don Fairbanks' Sport Biplane - #5 Knight Twister taken at Reno on 9/11/80. DBD
                  Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                  X