• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photo Contest idea

Wayne,

What about having a Reno photo contest?

Some Rules ideas subject to suggestions:

Must be a static or maybe motor run-up pose only so the guys with cheaper equipment, and no line/pylon press pass can have the advantage.

To enter a one-time $5 entry fee to AAFO for as many entries as desired. Half of that goes toward keeping the site open and pay the bills. The rest goes into the kitty for the cash prizes.

Must be from Reno 2008

No photo-shopping.

Three categories:

Best Unlimited

Best non-Unlimited

Best capture of the personality/glamor/awe of the Reno Experience.

One other idea to promote and keep the youth involved.(honor system): $2.00 entry. Best submission from someone under 18.

Maybe RARA wouldn't allow this, I don't know. If not, I sure wish they would promote such a contest in their program each year with big prizes and published photos in each year's program.

Lowell

Re: Photo Contest idea

This sounds fun....
    Cheers

Comment

Nice idea, but I just think the pros would run away with it and we'd have what we have now (which is darn good for the record).
      _________
      -Matt
      Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

last year NAG tried a photo contest with disposable cameras, not sure how it turned out but I heard it didnt turn out to well from a buddy of my who entered.

Comment

My last post in this thread sounded a bit snarky and I want to apologise for that tone. NAG did a great job last year.

Comment

I think it's a great idea, as there's not much you can do with a disposable, (adjustments etc.) it all comes down to the creativity of the user. You can't balance the field much better than that..............
            "Racefuel, It's not just for breakfast anymore!" http://www.twracefotos.net

Comment

Originally posted by Lowell
              Must be a static or maybe motor run-up pose only so the guys with cheaper equipment, and no line/pylon press pass can have the advantage.
              I know I'm out of this one, but how do you limit it to people with cheeper equipment? what exactly is cheeper equipment any way? No-DSLR's would be the only fair way to do that, although some of the new point and shoots are just as nice now.
              Don't take what I say the wrong way, I think it's a cool idea, but I think the only way to make the field even is disposables....

http://www.pbase.com/marauder61
              http://www.cafepress.com/aaphotography

Comment

This can be a great idea if its put together right. There could be some offbeat categories rather than just the races and their categories. Then you could break it down into experience or skill levels - Point and Shoot, Pro-sumer and Professional in each. Every pic has the metadata stored in it so it will help to sort things out some. Each person can then enter the category and level of each pic they enter. The Pics are given randon numbers when they come in and all posted on a page and everyone is given a week to vote.. Keep it simple and non-fussable.

Some thoughts on categories...

Best Race/Heat Moment each day- Captures the moment the best... might not be flying.. like the pilot sitting on the wing last year after he landed safely..

Pilots at work - being a race pilot is more than just flying - what best captures the Pilots story.

The Crew at work - Captures the crew working or playing..

Fans of Reno 2008 - captures a great fan moment...

The Best Detail - A great plane is a sum of great parts

Mascots of the races - like the little rare bear Monkey hanging from the wing last year

Anyway, just some thoughts. I am sure that there are some here who can give better help with what captures the heart of the reno air races. There are some great stories to be told and photographers can help capture those moments.. I, for one, want to see people like Victor enter for the sake of community. He has a great sense of capturing the moment as do others on this board...

Peace,

Jeff

Comment

Hummn... This subject sort of wound up being a bit contentious last year due to the "pro" non pro angle...

I'd propose, if we're to do this, split it into "press access" "non press access" entries... since with the access, greater ramp privileges are in place, as well as the limited pylon access granted to media members.

This would categorize it so that all could compete fairly..

In my mind, the disposable camera angle just adds an element of chaos due to the processing, scanning, etc, etc involved..

Just my $.02

Wayne Sagar
                  "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Wayne, let someone else run it... or maybe 3.. one from each category.. post the rules.. and have fun.. Someone will always snipe.. but.. such is life..

Jeff

Comment

What exactly did happen to the '07 disposable contest? (Facts only please, no conjecture!)

Comment

Don't get the "cheaper equipment" idea wrong. I think the contest should allow ANY equipment , just no "photo-shopping" (if that can be proved or not who knows?-so honor system again there).

The main thing is that there wouldn't be an advantage for the guys with line/press/pyon passes to get the fantastic shots versus what the common guy/gal with a pit pass alone could do.

Too many categories the first year out could kill it. Let the contest evolve, but the first year maybe only three or four categories.

Keep it fun. It's probably not going to be too high dollar on the winnings side, but who knows, if enough people play Wayne will get some help and the winners in three or four categories might have enough to buy a couple 2008-09 calanders or ?

Comment

I agree that disposables would be the way to go, but I would love to see what the pro's could do, as well. Just give them a separate division, and have at it. I think seeing them operate on a level playing field, might be quite instructive.
                          My .02

Paul

Comment

I like the let it evolve idea, and what about keeping the catagories simple to, like a catagory for each class and maybe a fan catagory as well, cause we cant be dissin them rascals in orange .

Like Victor says, disposables only. I feel equipment can make a huge difference. Kinda like a race car driver in two identacle cars, but one has 50hp more than the other. Better equip will win your more races than driver skill can 99% of the time. Its cheaper to have the film printed to CD, no paper prints needed. One disc per camera etc. Pick up the cameras when you get there, all must be turned back in by like noon sunday or maybe mailed in?

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar
                              Hummn... This subject sort of wound up being a bit contentious last year due to the "pro" non pro angle...

I'd propose, if we're to do this, split it into "press access" "non press access" entries... since with the access, greater ramp privileges are in place, as well as the limited pylon access granted to media members.
                              OK...
                              Pro Class = You have been published one or more times within the last year and/or you have some kind of press credentials. This should also include crew members because they have access that the average fan does not have.
                              Make the categories simple (1) In the air, but no air-to-air. (2) On the ground. (3) People. Limit it to 2 images per classification.

Non-Pro Class = Some one that is an un-published photographer, no crew, no credentials.
                              Open up the classifications a bit (1) Racing action. (2) Pilots. (3) Crew. (4) Fans/People. (5) Unique: Sunset/sunrise, Mascots, Abstract, something that does not fit 1-4. Limit it to 3 per classification?

To make it a little more special at least one shot from every one that enters and all the best shots could be put into book form at blurb.com The book could be made at $5 over cost and the profit go to the web site.
                              Last edited by Victor Archer; 02-11-2008, 07:59 PM.
                              http://www.pbase.com/marauder61
                              http://www.cafepress.com/aaphotography

Comment

Working...
                              X