PDA

View Full Version : Up late after a hard day thinking.. Just a question....

AAFO_WSagar
02-06-2008, 12:46 AM
This has been one of the hardest years I've had running this site.. I'll not go into specifics, just say, it's been a challenge. I'd thought those challenges were in the history bin and we were moving on.

Sadly, not true.

There are ways that folks who want to play by their own rules for their own gains can still get in and "do their thing"..

With this in mind, I'm going to ask a... rhetorical question..

If the mods and admin of this board were to reassign permissions to make everyone who had the privilege of posting messages and participating in the private message system to present a verified personal ID in private to the admins and mods, before they were allowed to post... totally private, only in view of the mods and admins...

Would you be willing to participate?

The way things are set up now, no matter how hard we try to keep it honest, it's still a system where someone who wants to play someone else.. someone who wants to use this system for their own gains, can play "someone else" get an AOL or hotmail account and gain access to posts/private messages and whatever else is available and use it to that end...

For whatever the reasons.. Not sure it's worth going into who does it and for why they do it. It's my job to "keep it honest".. and I've learned today... my system aint workin.

SO.. What would you think if.. you had to prove to me or one of the mods that your membership, no matter what your public "handle" might be, your ACTUAL EARTHLING name.. had to be proved to us (in private), prior to being able to use private messages, post messages.. in other words.. anything other than an unregged visitor can do.. (post pix, etc)

How many of you would offer up proof that you're who you say you are?

I personally think, MOST of you are honest and above ground enough to say you'd do it..

With above said.. and reiterating that I know MOST of you are completey honest fans and racers who just want to play nice and have fun....

This is just a QA thing... not an inquisition after all...

So..

How many would?

A very prominent photo forum I used to particpiate on, not long prior to selling out to a high paying buyer bought them out.. requested just this thing. REAL name, REAL provable ID or, user was history..

So..

Just an off the cuff, I'm really trying to de-stress and relax after a really taxing, completely disappointing (in terms of faith in human beings) day... question..

Would ya stay here and participate if you had to prove you were who you were, in private, to trusted admin/mod members, in order to be able to completely participate??

Nobody but the admin and mod staff have to know who you REALLY are.. but then, you would know, whomever you were talking with... SOMEONE on staff would know who they REALLY were..

Trust me when I say... to have to ask these questions makes me question the very existance of this entire place.. is it worth it to have to go through this with 1000's of honest members to weed out 1 or 2 persons who worm ther way in for their own gain??

Would the comfort of knowing you were always dealing with a real human and not someone acting as though they were someone they were not make it worth it for you to play??

Am I making sense??

Just ramblings from a guy who tries to be able to sleep normal hours but has a "project" that, far too many times, causes him to not be able to sleep, despite chemical (prescribed) aids to do so..

Can we ever make this place an HONEST place to play?

We had posts by the top racers this year, not long after a very hard race!

Pretty cool ey?

Nowhere else could you get this..

Would someone try to steal this hard fought privilege from a low budget site that's been working for over 10 years to gain the trust to get the players to come here on the "day after" and share their experiences with us?

See where I'm going?

So.

Will you guys all sign on for a REAL IDENTITY MEMBERSHIP??

I want your thoughts..

Want to KNOW the person you are conversing with is who they say they are?

I'm open for suggestions..

You'll note.. I've not mentioned any names here.. And, for now (no promises) I will not say what's brought it all to this..

I just want to be able to relax with my online friends, and know they can relax with theirs, comfortable in an environment of mutual participation in a shared passion..

Not a ruthless competitive battlefield where nobody knows who is who and what their motive are!

Not a rant, a question from the publisher...

My name is Wayne Sagar.. I always sign my posts, I am who I say I am, I may not always say what others like, but I'm always here and always am who I say I am..

I'm super stressed today and will, at the request of the moderators and members of this forum, remove this post and try to move ahead with no further thought of this message....

Man-o-man... wish this could all become a neat, fun thing to do again!

Sincerely,

Wayne Sagar

dxlyj
02-06-2008, 06:54 AM

My name is Wayne Sagar.. I always sign my posts, I am who I say I am, I may not always say what others like, but I'm always here and always am who I say I am..

Man-o-man... wish this could all become a neat, fun thing to do again!

Sincerely,

Wayne Sagar

Wayne, I'm a noob to the site and a wannabe w/a severe Reno itch, but this has quickly become one of my favorite sites. Bluffman's tales.. all the images from BuckyD/Victor/all the others.. I'm lovin' it!! Moderated lists are a way of life on the Web, don't apologize, and don't let the bast**ds get you down! Do what you need to do. :thumbsup:
Dave Lyjak

tex-fan
02-06-2008, 06:57 AM
Hey Wayne, what ever you think is best I'll go along with. This site has meant so much to me being as my Tex-Fan name implies I'm in Texas and will probably never be able to get to Reno. So AAFO keeps me up on the sport I love so much.

You might think about doing a time served deal; Like I've been here since 2004, I have NEVER posted anything the least bit negative about anyone or any company. I'm really me! Maybe a grandfather deal might work, maybe if you have been a member for say more than a year or so no sign up needed; less than that [or someone new] picture I.D. would be required;

The main thing is; Your site, Your rules! and I'll go along with you what ever you decide.

Red
02-06-2008, 07:35 AM
It's just words so why get so uptight? Do you really think you have to be accountable for what other people post here do you? It's just a message board. :eek13:

I guess I just don't see the point. Maybe the people who take it so serious just need to step back and consider the context. Many people say all kinds of stuff when hidden behind the keyboard. :confused:

BellCobraIV
02-06-2008, 08:17 AM
Hey Wayne,

Simple I'm in.

John Slack

Cloudchaser427
02-06-2008, 08:18 AM
Morning Wayne ~ I'm not sure exactly what triggered this, but you do whatever it takes to keep this site going. It's fun, informative and connects us aviation enthuiasts & speed freaks. Also helps spread safety information and updates on the racers. I have no problem providing any form of ID needed to help in keeping this site alive.

Thunder Mustang driver ( Cloudchaser427 ) :thumbsup:

RGRSTNDGBY
02-06-2008, 08:19 AM
"My name is Wayne Sagar"..

HI Waaayn.woops, wrong room...

I'm not really a noobie, just a several time a day lurker, cause I love what I can read about on this board..I seldom post as I never have anything to add that I think is of interest, but I do look forward to what others bring.. I'm on for whatever makes YOUR board work for you...rgr...

OLDFARTGSXR
02-06-2008, 08:54 AM
I'm in also...

First time Juke
02-06-2008, 09:06 AM
Wayne...I am in of course...what did you think...that I am Santa Claus ? :rolleyes:

:thumbsup:

GeoffS
02-06-2008, 09:19 AM
I trust you guys pretty well.

I'm not sure what kind of proof you want, but as long as it's not too intrusive I'd be more than happy to help you out.

Cheers,

Geoff S.

aka:
Geoff Sobering
sobering@gmail.com
http://www.fencecheck.com/forums/index.php?action=profile;u=1105
http://geoff-s.net/
http://moving-target-photos.com/
http://photo.net/shared/community-member?user_id=1856724
http://dnamerica.org/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=252
http://www.laserforum.org/member.php?u=697

ebutner
02-06-2008, 09:57 AM
Wayne,
What ever you need to do to keep this going.... My user name is me anyway.

Eric Burtner

mustang5151
02-06-2008, 10:12 AM
I remember a few years back they had an open forum on the Warbirds Worldwide website. They had nothing but problems like the ones you describe, until the whole forum was cancelled, and, shortly after, the magazine folded as well. All I can say is that I personally really enjoy this site, and if we can all pitch in to keep it alive, let's do what it takes. I just hope that personal ID info will put an end to all the BS that you(Wayne) have to deal with. Most low-lifes will probably find a way around this as well, if they want their way bad enough. So I am definitely in, and will provide the necessary info. I hope this place will be around for a long time - there is a lot of good in here! Keep the faith, Wayne. Don't let a few bad apples let you get down. Remember:
1) Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Cry, and your mother takes your temperature.
2) If you can keep your head about you, while all around you, everyone else is losing theirs, then you obviously don't understand the situation.

Ivan
02-06-2008, 10:13 AM
Hiya Wayne,

Its ok with me.

Ivan (who really is Ivan)

T. Adams
02-06-2008, 10:17 AM
After trying to remember so many usernames for different forums, I always just sign using my full name now.

It's pretty hard to hide when your website is your name. :D

Desertrat
02-06-2008, 10:19 AM
It's all about integrity and taking responsability for your actions, no one should have a problem with that, I mostly just look only few posts. Signing my name no peoblem.

Peter Bruneau

BillFrancis
02-06-2008, 10:20 AM
Wayne,

Count me in.

Bill Francis

Leo
02-06-2008, 10:28 AM
I have no problem with it at all. You already know that info anyway!
Having been here since the late 90's, when there were only a few users, it has changed. Some good people have had enough and some great names are absent from all of these sites.
I'll lurk, post when it's safe, but my tude has changed, maybe this will bring it all back to what it once was, an open place to express our racing selves without attack. I feel your pain Wayne, and will always sign with my name.
Love me or hate me I got nothing to hide.

Leo Smiley

Funflyer
02-06-2008, 10:40 AM
Count me in. Rad

thunderstangfan
02-06-2008, 10:41 AM
count me in!
FREE SPEACH doesnt give us the right to say whatever we want
just cause we have an opinion on the subject.
my dad was an aircrewman on a P3 orion is an A&P, a pilot, worked as a crewman on a racecar crew, worked as an electrical engineer for 20 years.
so i have been around and seen lots of stuff, sometimes i read ppls posts and just have to laugh but that doesnt give me the right to shoot them down or that they are wrong
we can all learn huge ammounts of information if we pay attention.
where else can you have acess to such a diverse group of ppl with decades of knowledge? :dunno:
i love this place!
we should be getting together at reno and having a beer together as friends, not fighting
Todd Smith

t-dub
02-06-2008, 10:44 AM
I have no problem letting anyone know who I am, as I too have NOTHING to hide. I come visit this site on a daily basis, as I have been an air race fan (and attending) since I was 5-6 years old, and visiting this site keeps me up on what's happening in the air racing world. KUDOS Wayne for keeping your site alive all these years, and here's hoping that it (and you) are around for many more to come! :thumbsup: Troy White aka t-dub

RCoulter
02-06-2008, 10:47 AM
I'm with ya Wayne :)

Frank C.
02-06-2008, 10:50 AM
I have no problem with signing my name.

Frank Caruso

AAFO_WSagar
02-06-2008, 10:54 AM
Thanks for all the positive responses.. I'm going to leave this thread up but move it to a different forum...

I have truly been trying to keep a more positive outlook on life, I've actually been fairly non-active on this board due to the stress that being involved with it always seems to manage to bring me....

I really want to move ahead with this site in a positive way and I'm seeing that by even bringing this up in the first place, it just moves us all in the opposite direction.

For now, I'm not going to make any changes in membership requirements, I may, however, make some changes in some parts of the system to keep the most destructive things that were done from happening again.

So... just so those of you who have aready read this thread will know, I'm not deleting it, I'm moving it and would like us all to just think positive and get back to having fun...

Thanks!

Wayne

Bob
02-06-2008, 11:02 AM
for what its worth I am in to.

MUSNTCHIT
02-06-2008, 11:04 AM
Wayne... Cool...include me... Ron Burton

FuryFan
02-06-2008, 11:04 AM
Count me in!

Kevin Baird

wyhdah
02-06-2008, 11:08 AM
:thumbsup: Ok by me

SCEPTER
02-06-2008, 11:08 AM
Do what you have to do Wayne. Keep it simple and don't micro manage this thing. Delegate and enjoy life. :beerchug:

Victor Archer
02-06-2008, 11:14 AM
OK, you got me... I'm not really Victor Archer, I'm actually Victor G. Archer.
I'm Victor G. Archer and I approve this message.

Paid for the alliance to rename Victor Archer to Victor G. Archer.
The alliance to rename Victor Archer is a non-profit organization and is unemployed.
No lab rats were used or harmed in an way during this presentation.

SCEPTER
02-06-2008, 11:29 AM
OK, you got me... I'm not really Victor Archer, I'm actually Victor G. Archer.
I'm Victor G. Archer and I approve this message.

Paid for the alliance to rename Victor Archer to Victor G. Archer.
The alliance to rename Victor Archer is a non-profit organization and is unemployed.
No lab rats were used or harmed in an way during this presentation.

I KNEW IT. HA. :lol:

808State
02-06-2008, 03:38 PM
Hi Wayne,

Like alot of the individuals responding, I am a daily reader. I have been since I started going to the Reno Air Races. Living in Hawaii, there is no coverage. I can't just jump in my car and head up the hill (used to live in Sacramento) anymore.

I depend on this forum to find out what's going on.

In short, I'm in... :thumbsup:

Scotty
02-06-2008, 05:14 PM
Wayne, Please keep it going. My wife reciently retired and I need a little relaxation each day.
Whatever is necessary.
Bob Scott
AKA
Scotty

rc38pilot
02-06-2008, 06:44 PM
do what you think works best wayne!!!!!! :thumbsup:

Jim Adams/Blue Thunder Crew Member

KTN Steve
02-06-2008, 07:53 PM
I dont post very often but im in. Steve Perry
:thumbsup: :)

T. Adams
02-06-2008, 07:56 PM
I dont post very often but im in. Steve Perry
:thumbsup: :)

Steve Perry? The lead singer from Journey!! :p

SpinB
02-07-2008, 03:21 AM
Test Dummies United!!!!!! Uh....I'm in...but your not getting on my...fave5 !
Oliver Johnson, 1 ea. spECIAL inSTRUMENTATION bOMBERS

Dave65882
02-07-2008, 06:46 PM
Wayne,

I am behind you on this one as I love this site and have ZERO interest in taking photos of anything, well not entirely true but lets leave it at that. :)

My name is David Murray, and I love air races and hockey, verify away!!!!!!!

Oh, I suggest we verify via the bar, we all get together, drink a few cold ones and have a grand old time.

nageditor
02-07-2008, 10:45 PM
I'm in Wayne, I love to read the posts and i have no problem with signing my name,
John Clark

ebutner
02-08-2008, 09:18 AM
Wayne,

I am behind you on this one as I love this site and have ZERO interest in taking photos of anything, well not entirely true but lets leave it at that. :)

My name is David Murray, and I love air races and hockey, verify away!!!!!!!

Oh, I suggest we verify via the bar, we all get together, drink a few cold ones and have a grand old time.

I'm with David! Couple of rounds sounds great!!!! :thumbsup:

flynundertaker
02-11-2008, 09:27 PM
Hi wayne,i've on this site forever,i love it,i dont post much (2 times) but im a lurker, i trust you , no kidd'n . all i can say is count me in....~s~ from the taker :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

HiredBitSlinger
02-12-2008, 06:06 PM
Count me in.

Dan Plunkett

Lockheed Bob
02-14-2008, 04:37 PM
Late but in travel mode. Count me in. Thanks again for all your hard work. :beerchug:

ShermB
02-16-2008, 11:51 AM
Just saw this when I posted a note about changed date of PRS.
Everybody knows my name.
Betty Sherman, Treasurer
National Air racing Group

AAFO_WSagar
02-19-2008, 11:33 PM
Just saw this when I posted a note about changed date of PRS.
Everybody knows my name.
Betty Sherman, Treasurer
National Air racing GroupYea Sherm... I always know who you are.. if I told ya' who the "interloper" was, or what he did, it'd curl your hair...

:rolleyes:

GeoffS
02-20-2008, 08:41 AM
Wayne,

Given that many folks here personally know one or more other members, I wonder if some kind of "invitation" system (ex. like Gmail used to use) or requiring a "reference" from an existing member (in good standing) in order for a new person to sign up (?)

Cheers,

Geoff S. (http://geoff-s.net/)

sierra fox
02-21-2008, 04:37 PM
Hi Wayne,

I sincerely hope things work out better for you in the future, this site is the only one of it's kind.

Aside from a few photos here and there, i suppose i'm not much of a contributer. It's just part of my daily routine to visit a handful of sites and AAFO is the first on my list.

Here are a few of my different handle, none of which were meant to suggest that i'm someone other than myself.

WAP - RB-51NUT
Fencecheck - Sierra Fox
Panoramio - warbirdfotos
Myspace - Anthony (rb_51_nut)
Prog Archives - Anthem One

But really i'm just plain old Anthony Taylor :beerchug:

DWYER
02-22-2008, 09:26 AM
Wayne,

Given that many folks here personally know one or more other members, I wonder if some kind of "invitation" system (ex. like Gmail used to use) or requiring a "reference" from an existing member (in good standing) in order for a new person to sign up (?)

Cheers,

Geoff S. (http://geoff-s.net/)

If this was the case I would have never made it to the site. I ran across this site in my search for "airrace knowledge". Reno comes around once a year and this site is the only place that helps keep me half way sane during the year. I do not post a lot while I am here. Simply because I am near the end of the information chain. I just love the updates, information, conversation and photos that everybody contributes to. I do not personally know anybody through this message board and hopefully in the future that may change. Every year at Reno we spend each night till 9 or 10 walking around the pits visiting with a lot of people about our passion for aviation. I value my visit here everyday. Thank you all.

And yes. I believe you should do what is best for this site. I do not mind identifying myself to the mods and management.

Thanks again,
Dustin Dwyer

ebutner
02-22-2008, 09:53 AM
If this was the case I would have never made it to the site. I ran across this site in my search for "airrace knowledge". Reno comes around once a year and this site is the only place that helps keep me half way sane during the year. I do not post a lot while I am here. Simply because I am near the end of the information chain. I just love the updates, information, conversation and photos that everybody contributes to. I do not personally know anybody through this message board and hopefully in the future that may change. Every year at Reno we spend each night till 9 or 10 walking around the pits visiting with a lot of people about our passion for aviation. I value my visit here everyday. Thank you all.

And yes. I believe you should do what is best for this site. I do not mind identifying myself to the mods and management.

Thanks again,
Dustin Dwyer
I agree... I would not have made it into here if I had to wait to be invited... This place ROCKS!!!! It's how alot of us keep the fire burning for air racing, flight and war birds... My .02, I'll set off the stage now, thanks for listening...

Eric Butner

RGRSTNDGBY
02-22-2008, 10:03 AM
If I know anyone on this board, I don't know it, so a "by invitation only" foremat would exclude me... I sure hope it doesn't come to that.. My basketball team is losing, NASCAR is starting to suck, can't do without my "plane fix"... rgrstndgby...........Jim Bauersachs.......

ebutner
02-22-2008, 10:28 AM
If I know anyone on this board, I don't know it, so a "by invitation only" foremat would exclude me... I sure hope it doesn't come to that.. My basketball team is losing, NASCAR is starting to suck, can't do without my "plane fix"... rgrstndgby...........Jim Bauersachs.......
Along the lines of knowing people on here.. We need a secret hand shake, no we don't know who is who yet... How bout having Wayne sell ball caps from here so we'll know if we see some one from here.... Or met up at a time and place at Reno? Some thoughts from a race fan.

Eric

AAFO_WSagar
02-22-2008, 02:14 PM
I agree... I would not have made it into here if I had to wait to be invited... This place ROCKS!!!! It's how alot of us keep the fire burning for air racing, flight and war birds... My .02, I'll set off the stage now, thanks for listening...

Eric Butner
Not to worry, I'd never go that route... Too many fine people come here, and new one's drop in from time to time... that would not work...

I have hatched a "plot" that might work, however.. Since as far as I can tell, the only thing we can't control.. meaning things happen out in the open, so all can see, moderators can nuke posts and we move on..

THE ONLY THING that can and was abused is the PM system.... I think the worst thing we might have to do is change the member rules to omit PM's unless you "subscribe" to the board and then via a credit card, pay a nominal fee like a buck or something less... THEN we would have TRUE identity... at least, we'd have the ID of the person who bought the subscripton... that would not totally lock the system down but it would make it a lot harder for someone to get an AOL account, hide their whereabouts by AOL's proxy system, or any of the other ways that people hide who their true identity on the internet...

*sigh*

I'm doing nothing other than gnash my teeth for now though..

:eek13:

Victor Archer
02-23-2008, 12:01 AM
change the member rules to omit PM's unless you "subscribe" to the board and then via a credit card, pay a nominal fee like a buck or something less... THEN we would have TRUE identity... \

Hell I'll pay to play here.... WTF

It's amazing how such a very few can f%ckup so many...

I remain Victor Archer... OH SH!T I mean Victor G. Archer

PS..... It's kinda funny but a bunch of people replying to this thread saying "Yeah OK I'm in" didn't say who they realy are, or [ass-(out of)-u-(&)-me-d] we knew who they are... or were.....
:beerchug: - :rolleyes: - :p -:D